BSUBroncoDynasty

Steveson - Petriashvili gold medal match

Went back and watched both matches. Geno leans a lot and leads his left pretty far out there. Gable likes to play snaps and chase the corner on that side. 

Also as mentioned above, Genos shots. If he shoots straight in as he did with Zaire, Gable could give him serious problems. 

Ive been waiting to see Gable compete at this level before I got to hyped about his chances. But I really like how he matches up here. 

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

That's pretty much how Zare beat Geno the first time, he kept countering him every time he shot for a TD. But this time Geno started cautiously until Zare got tired then he started shooting for takedowns. I don't think he could do the same about Gable though because Gable hasn't shown any sign of getting tired.

Please learn from the Cassar match

Push through the cardio hell Gable and bring home the gold!!

4 hours ago, HawkY said:

Physically Taha was faster and more athletic than Geno. They were about equally strong, with Taha being lb for lb stronger and Geno making up the difference with his size. The main physical advantage Geno has over Taha is his gas tank.

Stylistically this looks all wrong for Geno. Geno likes shooting. He shoots much more than Taha. I'm kind of with the Flo guys.  Zare would have been more difficult for Gable.  A fearless shooter like Geno looks,  like he is walking into a trap. 

I am 100% with you on this.  Zare was the worst matchup for Gable.  

5 hours ago, BTC said:

Not just his quickness but also his power. Gable is an athletic freak. I mean how many 250lb+ people do you know that can pull off a back hand spring so effortlessly? 

I agree Gable is very athletic, but I assume you meant back flip instead of back hand spring.  I haven't seen him do the latter, which most gymnasts will tell you is a lot harder than a back flip.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he also does back hand springs I'm even more impressed.)

12 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I agree Gable is very athletic, but I assume you meant back flip instead of back hand spring.  I haven't seen him do the latter, which most gymnasts will tell you is a lot harder than a back flip.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he also does back hand springs I'm even more impressed.)

Pretty sure you are wrong. Gable does a handspring before he flips (or maybe it's a cartwheel).

Pretty sure you are wrong. Gable does a handspring before he flips (or maybe it's a cartwheel).
He does a roundoff to a backflip. I'd be more impressed if he did a standing back flip.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Whatever it is at the end, looks like a cartwheel into the flip but he makes it look so easy which is crazy for his size

Edited by BTC

8 hours ago, BTC said:

Gable will win in a controlled manner.

Good call.  His semis performance was wonderfully mature -- grounding to avoid the pushout, adjusting to an opponent not giving him much to counter, etc.  

32 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

He does a roundoff to a backflip. I'd be more impressed if he did a standing back flip.

I'd me more impressed if he did it on a balance beam, but he'd probably break the beam.

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Disagree.  What you're calling a handspring (or  cartwheel) is actually a common gymnastic move called a roundoff.  The move Steveson does is a "roundoff into a backflip" (or just a "roundoff backflip").

A back handspring is a different trick.  Here's a video of a guy doing 57 back handsprings in a row:

On paper its all wrong for Geno.

Geno's style is I'll keep on attacking, if you can counter me thats okay because I have a great engine and at the end of the day I'll have more points than you. What if someone can counter all your attempts and your in danger of getting teched. Its hard to ask a champion to change styles on the fly. But I think he will try after seeing Akgul. 

Best bet of beating Gable is something like a Taymazov circa 2012. Extremely strong guy doing conservative wrestling with pushouts and positions. 

The reason why I thought Gable wouldn't get past the big 2 is their strength/size. He had no problems with Taha in that regard and Geno is even slower. 

52 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Agreed - or how about something like this?

While the video is captioned "Gymnast Does 14 Backflips," he really does a roundoff into 5 back handsprings, then he does 5 backflips, before finishing up with 4 more back handsprings.

I think Darrion Caldwell had the above in mind before that dastardly Hawkeye shoved him.  ;>)

1 hour ago, BTC said:

Whatever it is at the end, looks like a cartwheel into the flip but he makes it look so easy which is crazy for his size

He does make it look easy - and he gets good height.  I also like the way he lays out (not all tucked up) in the air. 

And I agree that a roundoff does look similar to a cartwheel.  I've even heard it described as a kind of "half cartwheel/half handspring" (or as a "front handspring with a half-twist"). 

Oh and if Gable does win gold, I think it would be silly not to stick around and nab the 2021 Worlds.  It will take like two months of his life and for completionist sakes it would be nice to have a world title. He will have won every major thing that a wrestler can and can leave the sport as a Watanabe or Dan Gable like figure.  

If you are not in it for the long haul, I agree that sticking around for two cycles wrestling cycles  is pointless. But this is a great fast track opportunity for him to leave. 

5 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Oh and if Gable does win gold, I think it would be silly not to stick around and nab the 2021 Worlds.  It will take like two months of his life and for completionist sakes it would be nice to have a world title. He will have won every major thing that a wrestler can and can leave the sport as a Watanabe or Dan Gable like figure.  

If you are not in it for the long haul, I agree that sticking around for two cycles wrestling cycles  is pointless. But this is a great fast track opportunity for him to leave. 

Not really, the casual media won't look at world title , they will look at a Olympic title for a flash, and in that flash Gable will make his move and cash in.  Business wise , smart move.  Why risk a lose at the world's if you are an Olympic gold medalist?  

1 minute ago, sisi said:

Not really, the casual media won't look at world title , they will look at a Olympic title for a flash, and in that flash Gable will make his move and cash in.  Business wise , smart move.  Why risk a lose at the world's if you are an Olympic gold medalist?  

Whats the risk though? If he loses then he still Olympic Champion to the general public that doesn't care about worlds. 

Just now, HawkY said:

Whats the risk though? If he loses then he still Olympic Champion to the general public that doesn't care about worlds. 

Gable is on the fast track to the WWE.  Any lose after the Olympics will take some shine off that medal.  He ain't gonna wait another 2 months to compete.  

3 minutes ago, sisi said:

Gable is on the fast track to the WWE.  Any lose after the Olympics will take some shine off that medal.  He ain't gonna wait another 2 months to compete.  

I don't think the loss would matter (it just wouldn't be mentioned and not enough people care)  but I get why he would want to go right after winning the olympics for  buzz and storyline purposes. 

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This is gonna be all Gable, right? He can beat Geno just as he beat Agkul.

Geno's length may be an issue. It's just a question of whether Gable can stuff the extended shot. I think Geno is a slight favorite.