BSUBroncoDynasty

Steveson - Petriashvili gold medal match

I see the clock was showing tenths under ten seconds. What times were the start/stops towards the end? If you are above ten it could be at 19.9 (for example) and seem like forever to pop down to 19 (19.9=20 visually).

1 minute ago, Grecojones said:

Hmm so is the next move WWE to get expose and his acting chops up then move into acting? The rock laid out a solid template 

yeah, gable’s got better athletic chops and time on his side.

47 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Unnecessarily stressful, but that should not have been that close.

Crazy thing is, I actually agree with you. I think Gable could have blown that match open. Yeah yeah, I know Geno is reigning 3x World Champ, but Gable is THAT good when he wants to be and is firing on all cylinders. I don't think anyone in the world can beat Gable right now.

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

yeah, gable’s got better athletic chops and time on his side.

I wish him the best but…Not gonna lie i feel robbed of his future Olympic and world performances. Maybe he’ll take a break from whatever to come back in 3 years for another run 

2 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

I wish him the best but…Not gonna lie i feel robbed of his future Olympic and world performances. Maybe he’ll take a break from whatever to come back in 3 years for another run 

If that was his last match, I feel fortunate we got to see him wrestle. A  generational talent in our sport with as exciting of a finish to a gold medal match as we will ever see...GABLE DAN STEVESON!!!!

11 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

Crazy thing is, I actually agree with you. I think Gable could have blown that match open. Yeah yeah, I know Geno is reigning 3x World Champ, but Gable is THAT good when he wants to be and is firing on all cylinders. I don't think anyone in the world can beat Gable right now.

He was 0.5 seconds away from losing.  That was the closest match in Olympic wrestling history.  I'm pretty sure Vili could definitely beat him.  I'm glad he didn't though! 

I think Gable would win that matchup 9 out of 10.

The moment on the edge could have easily been called 4 instead of 1.  Then up 5-2 he was coming around for a takedown and missed on the first go around opportunity and was about to go again and there was a premature stoppage.

I think with a feel between those 2 athletes everything will skew more in the way of Gable.  He could win everything going forward if he sticks around.

3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

He was 0.5 seconds away from losing.  That was the closest match in Olympic wrestling history.  I'm pretty sure Vili could definitely beat him.  I'm glad he didn't though! 

Gable is a big favorite if there’s a rematch. The thing is Gable got turned twice and that was pure inexperience. Gable never wrestled anyone with a top game like that. That’s something Gable could train for and prevent. 

20 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

Ferrari?

Save for a one mintute span out of the 12 minutes wrestled, he absolutely dominated the two guys that have been dominating 125 for the last seven years. Neither had anything for him in those other 11 minutes.  And it's not like they're over the hill (they still got silver and bronze).....he's seriously just that much better.  Unreal.  I was still skeptical until I see him against those two.  But wow.

You guys are selling Geno short. I definitely favor Gable against anyone given what he did but Geno was fractions of a second away from winning and, to be honest, made a major mistake to even put himself in that position with a significant lead. 

I think Gable can definitely improve his par terre defense. He looked like the proverbial fish out of water on the mat, lost. That said, Geno is maybe a foot taller and has a huge leverage advantage over him, not to speak of multi-time world champ gut technique. I don't think it's automatic that the same thing doesn't happen no matter how much Gable trains. Geno did score on his own attempt, so it's not like there isn't a clear path to victory for Geno. Of course, Gable is a better TD and counter wrestler so it's not an easy path, but the margin between the two is closer than you guys are saying.

Gable had the advantage of being so new that nobody was really focused on him. All eyes are on him now, and he has a glaring weakness on the mat. Geno may be the only guy in the world who can get him there to exploit that weakness, though.

1 hour ago, Rooving said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if he is the youngest 125kg champion ever?

not sure but of note, Geno was World JR Champ and World SR Bronze in same year (couple months apart)