Jump to content
BSUBroncoDynasty

Steveson - Petriashvili gold medal match

Recommended Posts

My thoughts are this....if we ever see him in Freestyle again, that is......If Steveson doesn't learn some sort of Gut or Lift, he's vulnerable to exactly what happened today.  Get a lead with a couple takedowns and a pushout, but then get taken down and rolled 3 times......he was not that far away from being rolled 2 or 3 more times to simply end the match.  If he gets the takedown, he need to work on exposure to end matches and get out of the danger.  He doesn't even attempt anything, just settles for the TD. 

Just my view from the cheap seats.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Holtfan said:

My thoughts are this....if we ever see him in Freestyle again, that is......If Steveson doesn't learn some sort of Gut or Lift, he's vulnerable to exactly what happened today.  Get a lead with a couple takedowns and a pushout, but then get taken down and rolled 3 times......he was not that far away from being rolled 2 or 3 more times to simply end the match.  If he gets the takedown, he need to work on exposure to end matches and get out of the danger.  He doesn't even attempt anything, just settles for the TD. 

Just my view from the cheap seats.......

 

All very true and completely agree.

But will add: this is the case for almost every single American in their first major senior level tournament (international).  Gable just happens to be so good that he can get an Olympic gold with that glaring weakness.  If we were to see him continue through '24 and focusing solely on senior level FS, I have no doubt he will be able to develop the par-terre game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Holtfan said:

My thoughts are this....if we ever see him in Freestyle again, that is......If Steveson doesn't learn some sort of Gut or Lift, he's vulnerable to exactly what happened today.  Get a lead with a couple takedowns and a pushout, but then get taken down and rolled 3 times......he was not that far away from being rolled 2 or 3 more times to simply end the match.  If he gets the takedown, he need to work on exposure to end matches and get out of the danger.  He doesn't even attempt anything, just settles for the TD. 

Just my view from the cheap seats.......

 

Dude, he's 21 and just won a gold. He's been jumping levels quickly over the last 1-2 years. 

The gap will get bigger not smaller if he sticks with wrestling.

Though sadly I can't imagine he does stick with the sport. 

Edited by wamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the thoughts on the 4 pointer he didn't get?

I feel it was 4. I can see what his coahces were thinking when they didn't challenge at the time as he was up 4-0 and he'd have been up 4-1 if the call went against him. 

Given he was risking 1 pt to win 3 pts I still think they should have challenged IMO if they feel they even had a 50% chance of winning it. It'd also have given him criteria in a tie. 

That being said, great that the call/no challenge didn't bite him in the ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Was anyone surprised that the Ref put them back on their feet instantly after the first takedown with about 10 seconds left? Gable stood up and the ref said ok. I thought he would have to be on top for a period of time.

I wondered about that myself. I remember back in the day we were told either (different times IIRC) to caution him for doing that or just to put him back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Was anyone surprised that the Ref put them back on their feet instantly after the first takedown with about 10 seconds left? Gable stood up and the ref said ok. I thought he would have to be on top for a period of time.

i definitely raised my admittedly bleary eyes at that as well...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

If Gable goes to WWE, what happens to the guy currently in WWE pretending to be Gable.  Does he have to change his name?  There can't be two Gables.  

2012 Greco Olympian Chas Betts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I wondered about that myself. I remember back in the day we were told either (different times IIRC) to caution him for doing that or just to put him back down.

Ok. Looked like he slipped into a little folk style catch and release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holtfan said:

My thoughts are this....if we ever see him in Freestyle again, that is......If Steveson doesn't learn some sort of Gut or Lift, he's vulnerable to exactly what happened today.  Get a lead with a couple takedowns and a pushout, but then get taken down and rolled 3 times......he was not that far away from being rolled 2 or 3 more times to simply end the match.  If he gets the takedown, he need to work on exposure to end matches and get out of the danger.  He doesn't even attempt anything, just settles for the TD. 

Just my view from the cheap seats.......

 

I think the easier solution is to just learn basic par terre defense. He looked a bit lost under there. Hips were turned the wrong direction for example. When's the last time he was underneath someone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wamba said:

What are the thoughts on the 4 pointer he didn't get?

I feel it was 4. I can see what his coahces were thinking when they didn't challenge at the time as he was up 4-0 and he'd have been up 4-1 if the call went against him. 

Given he was risking 1 pt to win 3 pts I still think they should have challenged IMO if they feel they even had a 50% chance of winning it. It'd also have given him criteria in a tie. 

That being said, great that the call/no challenge didn't bite him in the ass

Things get iffy with continuation at the oob line. Typically if the move started in bounds and the continued action results in a higher scored move it is then awarded. If an athlete steps out then his opponent lifts and dumps him it wojld usually only be the step out. It was close, and I'm not confident they'd overturn the call. Was still bad ass all the same and definitely sent a message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think the easier solution is to just learn basic par terre defense. He looked a bit lost under there. Hips were turned the wrong direction for example. When's the last time he was underneath someone? 

If he pursues freestyle, he'll be fine.  As of now, he's a student-athlete who focuses on folkstyle.  He's capable of getting a lot better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HawkY said:

On paper its all wrong for Geno.

 

Geno's style is I'll keep on attacking, if you can counter me thats okay because I have a great engine and at the end of the day I'll have more points than you. What if someone can counter all your attempts and your in danger of getting teched. Its hard to ask a champion to change styles on the fly. But I think he will try after seeing Akgul. 

Best bet of beating Gable is something like a Taymazov circa 2012. Extremely strong guy doing conservative wrestling with pushouts and positions. 

The reason why I thought Gable wouldn't get past the big 2 is their strength/size. He had no problems with Taha in that regard and Geno is even slower. 

I thought you had said Gable was too short to beat the best heavyweights?  Luckily his short stature didn't hurt him to much against 6' 5" Geno or 6' 4" Taha or the 1st guy he had who was also 6' 5".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wamba said:

What are the thoughts on the 4 pointer he didn't get?

I feel it was 4. I can see what his coahces were thinking when they didn't challenge at the time as he was up 4-0 and he'd have been up 4-1 if the call went against him. 

Given he was risking 1 pt to win 3 pts I still think they should have challenged IMO if they feel they even had a 50% chance of winning it. It'd also have given him criteria in a tie. 

That being said, great that the call/no challenge didn't bite him in the ass

I thought the continuation rule should have applied but I also thought that about Gilman's 1st period gut against Ugaev.  What is the point of having a "continuation" rule if it doesn't apply in those situations.  The rule was suppose to prevent the step out from benefiting the defensive wrestler and stopping a take down or throw if the action happened in a continuous smooth manner.  All through this Olympics that rule seems to have been ignored or discontinued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I thought the continuation rule should have applied but I also thought that about Gilman's 1st period gut against Ugaev.  What is the point of having a "continuation" rule if it doesn't apply in those situations.  The rule was suppose to prevent the step out from benefiting the defensive wrestler and stopping a take down or throw if the action happened in a continuous smooth manner.  All through this Olympics that rule seems to have been ignored or discontinued.

i will have to go back and watch gable, but...

the gilman situation was 100% as per the rules...

uguev stepped out first.... 

then gilman stepped out...

then gilman started his "move"...

it was 100% called right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeanGuy said:

Was anyone surprised that the Ref put them back on their feet instantly after the first takedown with about 10 seconds left? Gable stood up and the ref said ok. I thought he would have to be on top for a period of time.

For me, that was the thing.

I looked at as a savvy veteran move from a rookie.

He almost immediately stood up after the first take down and dared the ref NOT to blow the whistle. Petriashvili even looked at the ref in disbelief that the whistle was blown so fast.

Maybe it was a folkstyle reflex, but I am going with high wrestling IQ instead. As soon as he did that I thought he is actually going to pull this off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I thought you had said Gable was too short to beat the best heavyweights?  Luckily his short stature didn't hurt him to much against 6' 5" Geno or 6' 4" Taha or the 1st guy he had who was also 6' 5".  

I predicted that Geno would win and that Gable would lose to him or Taha. I never said Gable was too short to ever beat them. Thats was a voice in your head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Was anyone surprised that the Ref put them back on their feet instantly after the first takedown with about 10 seconds left? Gable stood up and the ref said ok. I thought he would have to be on top for a period of time.

Very very surprised. Didn’t think you were really allowed to cut someone. In Greco, if we wanted to get back to our feet, we would just grab a leg.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...