BSUBroncoDynasty

Steveson - Petriashvili gold medal match

I’ve seen refs blow it up when top guy looks at them to forfeit top position. And I believe it’s the right call. Top guy got the takedown and earned the opportunity. If he wants to forfeit that opportunity, no reason to stop it. 

100% agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he clearly knew he had a snow balls chance in hell of turning pet...

and he clearly knew he was wasting time...

i am just a little surprised that there was not at least a caution offered it...

which, would not have changed the outcome after that last TD anyway...

regardless...

it was a great match outside of the continued US **** par terre...

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’ve seen refs blow it up when top guy looks at them to forfeit top position. And I believe it’s the right call. Top guy got the takedown and earned the opportunity. If he wants to forfeit that opportunity, no reason to stop it. 

i do not disagree in theory and the ref will absolutely blow that whistle if top guy is clearly not working...

but...

that was a true folk style cut that international refs do not experience too much (assumption)...

i feel like that has been cautioned in the past, but, i won't die on the hill it has been or needs to be...

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

i do not disagree in theory and the ref will absolutely blow that whistle if top guy is clearly not working...

but...

that was a true folk style cut that international refs do not experience too much (assumption)...

i feel like that has been cautioned in the past, but, i won't die on the hill it has been or needs to be...

I was very surprised he blew the whistle as quick as he did, instead of a couple seconds of starting back. And thank god (or Odin) that he blew the whistle at the exact moment he did, and not a moment later. 

Just now, Lurker said:

I was very surprised he blew the whistle as quick as he did, instead of a couple seconds of starting back. And thank god (or Odin) that he blew the whistle at the exact moment he did, and not a moment later. 

I was too shocked by everything to remember but watching the replay about a dozen times, indeed, it was very surprising. I am never complaining, though. Might be my favorite match of all time. 

Just now, Lurker said:

for sure...

also surprising that pet didn't immediately get on his bike and run after the restart...

i need to rewatch later today to get a real feel for the match...

i was drifting in and out...

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

for sure...

also surprising that pet didn't immediately get on his bike and run after the restart...

i need to rewatch later today to get a real feel for the match...

i was drifting in and out...

After the last restart petro didn’t have the opportunity to do anything but react. Gable made about 27 different movements in those six seconds. 

Geno was a mess at the medal ceremony.  However a good sport.  Taha and Zare, too.  Especially Taha. It seems, in general,  as if heavyweights in general have a sense of camaraderie stronger than the other weight classes.

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

After the last restart petro didn’t have the opportunity to do anything but react. Gable made about 27 different movements in those six seconds. 

makes sense...

i'm sure another viewing with fully open eyes will make me say damn gable... get ya sum!!!

36 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Geno was a mess at the medal ceremony.  However a good sport.  Taha and Zare, too.  Especially Taha. It seems, in general,  as if heavyweights in general have a sense of camaraderie stronger than the other weight classes.

I noticed that too with Geno. The quick turn between the gold medal match and the ceremony doesn't give much time to let the emotions subside, especially in as dramatic of a match as that one. He was fighting back tears but being a good sport as the heavyweights were shuffled around the arena for one photo after another.

Joining the thread late, so forgive me if it's already been covered.  Key points:

1. Down by 3 with ~13s to go & getting 2 TDs is more impressive than beating the buzzer at 0.2s
  2. Steveson being aware enough to give up on par terre at ~10s after the 1st TD was key.  After the TD was awarded, he stood up & only had hands on the Georgian's back - waiting for the ref to bring them back to neutral.
  3. In spite of what I stated in #1 above, pulling off the 2nd TD with 0.2s left was pretty damn impressive.

I was surprised too that the ref let him get away with just standing back up. I thought he’d at least give him an attention, tell him to keep wrestling and let a few more ticks go off the clock. Sure glad he didn’t though!

"If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask @ShakaAloha because he knows more than me."

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

They're not starving. Much easier to be a bit happier.