Crash

Dake - What was wrong with him?

I only saw the first match he had.  In my opinion he looked like he was trying not to lose.  It's a lot of pressure, I wonder if Taylor dominating to the finals too set the bar and pressure that much higher on him that he felt he had to do the same.  I didn't see the second match yet but want to check it out.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat09 said:

I only saw the first match he had.  In my opinion he looked like he was trying not to lose.  It's a lot of pressure, I wonder if Taylor dominating to the finals too set the bar and pressure that much higher on him that he felt he had to do the same.  I didn't see the second match yet but want to check it out.

Watch the second match. Totally different story. He should've wrestled that match not to lose, I suppose, but instead, he overlooked an absolute dark horse stud and got his teeth kicked in, figuratively. He went for a big move, got countered feet to back, and completely lost match control after that, trying to big brother his way out of the 4-point hole that ended up escalating uncontrollably. Worst match I've ever seen Dake wrestle, to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Crash said:

When was the last time he was teched? 1st grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB teched Dake in 2013 and 2015.  But JB was rested while Dake was not.  Dake has also lost a handful of times in the 1-7 to 1-9 range. 

I say this respect because Dake is an amazing wrestler.

Edited by Katie

43 minutes ago, Crash said:

He did not look like himself at all. Did not look injured though. Was he sick?

Even in his win, he did not look like himself.

That was shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who knows? A lot can happen between the trials and finally getting on the mat at the Olympics. There was a red flag early on when a few people on here noticed that he looked physically smaller than they had seen him previously. Then the second match was a train wreck. It happens. 

Edited by iha

38 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Watch the second match. Totally different story. He should've wrestled that match not to lose, I suppose, but instead, he overlooked an absolute dark horse stud and got his teeth kicked in, figuratively. He went for a big move, got countered feet to back, and completely lost match control after that, trying to big brother his way out of the 4-point hole that ended up escalating uncontrollably. Worst match I've ever seen Dake wrestle, to be honest.

Totally agree, he gave up that four and went for some weird folkstyle switch move and got put on his back again.  From there he just thought he could power through and got sloppy.   He doesn't get down like that much and deviated from what makes him Dake.  Hopefully this keeps him hungry and he'll be back for another cycle...

Just now, jchapman said:

He was wrestling within two hours of a weight cut at a lighter, Olympic weight class.

The first match was within two hours off the scale. By the second match, he should've had a couple more hours of recovery, which is a lot when you're cutting really hard. If he was 60% in match 1, he should've been close to 80% in match 2. I don't think the cut was a factor in the second match because it was so short that conditioning never came into play.

2 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Hoping he comes back for the bronze and think he may.  When you open up and rely on big moves there is a certain risk and those 50/50 positions did not go his way this time.     

How often has Dake been scored on in those tieups?   I can't think of once before, but probably forgetting...    I would not say they are normally 50/50 positions and Dake is some sort of Dylan Ness like gunslinger. Obviously it didn't work today but it's not like he has a history of being a live by the sword, die by the sword type wrestler. 

10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

He was wrestling within two hours of a weight cut at a lighter, Olympic weight class.

It seems that for Dake fans, Dake never really loses. It's either an injury, or the tournament format, or being too small for a weight class, or bad officiating, or a weight cut, or whatever else.  The guy is a certified stud, and even certified studs lose.  It's ok.

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The first match was within two hours off the scale. By the second match, he should've had a couple more hours of recovery, which is a lot when you're cutting really hard. If he was 60% in match 1, he should've been close to 80% in match 2. I don't think the cut was a factor in the second match because it was so short that conditioning never came into play.

The first match was extremely draining. When you combine the weight cut and effort exerted in the first match, he might have been at 50% for that second match. If you are tired from the beginning of the match, it’s not the length of the match that matters. Your moves simply won’t work on a fresh opponent. 

1 minute ago, Katie said:

It seems that for Dake fans, Dake never really loses. It's either an injury, or the tournament format, or being too small for a weight class, or bad officiating, or a weight cut, or whatever else.  The guy is a certified stud, and even certified studs lose.  It's ok.

I am not a Dake fan.  I am simply responding to the OP about why he didn't look himself.  We have not recently seen Dake at 74 kg within two hours of weigh-ins.  So, we don't really know what he should look like under those conditions.

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The first match was extremely draining. When you combine the weight cut and effort exerted in the first match, he might have been at 50% for that second match. If you are tired from the beginning of the match, it’s not the length of the match that matters. Your moves simply won’t work on a fresh opponent. 

FWIW, Kadzimahamed also had a first round match, and he also cut down from 79kg.

You know @jchapman you do have a point - I didn't see a tired Dake in the match he lost but he could have been drained.  I forgot at OTTs he had a bye so he had recovery time, plus I do remember him looking not himself in Italy - which I think was the only other time he made 74 then wrestled right away.  You combine these matches with the Italy matches right after weighins and he didn't impress in any of them.

I'm still hesitant to say anything he did in that match he lost was about fatigue, but I can't totally discount it either.  I think he just got beat, but a good discussion either way

Edited by Gantry

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

You know @jchapman you do have a point - I didn't see a tired Dake in the match he lost but he could have been drained.  I forgot at OTTs he had a buy so he had recovery time, plus I do remember him looking not himself in Italy.  You combine these matches with the Italy matches right after weighins and he didn't impress in any of them.

I'm still hesitant to say anything he did in that match he lost was about fatigue, but I can't totally discount it either.  I think he just got beat, but a good discussion either way

It’s either fatigue or some type of intestinal parasite. That was not the same wrestler who ran through worlds at 79 kg or convincingly beat JB. I think USAW needs to move weigh ins for the trials to 2 hours before the match.