Jump to content
Crash

Dake - What was wrong with him?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Katie said:

FWIW, Kadzimahamed also had a first round match, and he also cut down from 79kg.

I’m not a Dake fan I’m a NJ and therefore big time Burroughs guy and I will agree Dake has looked gassed over the years, but come on, to act like he didn’t look quite right is BS. Yes his opponent is a stud and beat Chamizo as well, but Dake looked smaller and off a bit and the likelihood that his weight cut played a major part in it is obvious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s either fatigue or some type of intestinal parasite. That was not the same wrestler who ran through worlds at 79 kg or convincingly beat JB. I think USAW needs to move weigh ins for the trials to 2 hours before the match. 

Valid  point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake has lost big on occasion. Even if you take away the two losses by tech to JB, you still have:

  • 2013 -- 1-7 loss to Gadzhiev
  • 2016 -- 1-9 loss to Mahamedau (at 86kg)
  • 2016 -- 1-8 loss to Cox (at 86kg)
  • 2018 -- 1-8 loss to Gadzhimagomedov

So the big loss to Kadimagomedov is not unprecedented like people are making it out to be.

That said, I fully expect that Dake would keep it competitive with Kadimagomedov next time, and perhaps even win.  After all, in the case of Gadzhimagomedov, Dake was able to come back and tech him.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has been said about the weigh in and Dake not looking like himself may be true.

But to me he seemed to get complacent once he got scored on the first time. He’s been the man for a number of years now and I don’t think he’s ever been down like that on the big stage, even against Burroughs. It was like he decided he was going to go upper body no matter what to try and even the score and kind of lost sight of a game plan. It just kept getting worse each time and kept going for big moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Dake should think about going up to 86 for olympic reasons, I never thought he suits the cut to 74 and the disaster here may have had weight cut issues playing a part. 79 obv his ideal weight but it isn't an olympic weight. And considering 86 isn't too deep a division and he has the better track record vs Taylor it might be a thought....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Watch the second match. Totally different story. He should've wrestled that match not to lose, I suppose, but instead, he overlooked an absolute dark horse stud and got his teeth kicked in, figuratively. He went for a big move, got countered feet to back, and completely lost match control after that, trying to big brother his way out of the 4-point hole that ended up escalating uncontrollably. Worst match I've ever seen Dake wrestle, to be honest.

i was pumped at first that he was going right at him

dake NEVER loses those positions. he's money in them. that he got countered where he is good is the most head scratching part, to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s either fatigue or some type of intestinal parasite. That was not the same wrestler who ran through worlds at 79 kg or convincingly beat JB. I think USAW needs to move weigh ins for the trials to 2 hours before the match. 

why? Team USA has been nails the way it is. don't change it for 1 person who had an off match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

What has been said about the weigh in and Dake not looking like himself may be true.

But to me he seemed to get complacent once he got scored on the first time. He’s been the man for a number of years now and I don’t think he’s ever been down like that on the big stage, even against Burroughs. It was like he decided he was going to go upper body no matter what to try and even the score and kind of lost sight of a game plan. It just kept getting worse each time and kept going for big moves.

Slight correction: JB teched him in 2013 and 2015.  He also lost in the 1-7 to 1-9 range several other times. So he's been there before.  (That said, I would like to see Dake and Kadimagomedov wrestle again, because I think Dake would make good adjustments next time.)

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I wonder if Dake should think about going up to 86 for olympic reasons, I never thought he suits the cut to 74 and the disaster here may have had weight cut issues playing a part. 79 obv his ideal weight but it isn't an olympic weight. And considering 86 isn't too deep a division and he has the better track record vs Taylor it might be a thought....

Dake went 86kg at the 2016 OTTs and made it to the finals, beating Taylor along the way.  (I kind of remember thinking that 86kg was not Dake's ideal weight class.)

By 2024, however, Dake and Taylor will be like 33, and guys like Aaron Brooks will be coming for the crown.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - Dake still has a chance to get bronze at this Olympics and now that he missed out on gold I would be shocked if he didn't go for a world title in October. So perhaps a bit early to worry about 2024.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dake was perfectly fine, healthy just got beat

The iranian he beat first round he beat more soundly than JB did at worlds few years ago. Jb won in the last 30 seconds.

The dude he lost to just beat Chamizo and has beaten Sidakov.

Prbly wasn't even on Dake's radar, give Dake time to prep for him likewise and it could be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The first match was within two hours off the scale. By the second match, he should've had a couple more hours of recovery, which is a lot when you're cutting really hard. If he was 60% in match 1, he should've been close to 80% in match 2. I don't think the cut was a factor in the second match because it was so short that conditioning never came into play.

With the small olympic brackets there is very little time between the opening round and quarterfinals - less than an hour between Dake's two matches. So he had some additional recovery time but it's not like the huge break between QF and semis. My guess is he was still feeling the cut and the grind of the first match - but that beating was about far more than just weight.

It will be interesting to see how he does in repechage which is the first set of matches after weigh ins. At least if he can bounce back vs. the Cuban he gets a nice recovery break before the bronze match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Red95 said:

With the small olympic brackets there is very little time between the opening round and quarterfinals - less than an hour between Dake's two matches. So he had some additional recovery time but it's not like the huge break between QF and semis. My guess is he was still feeling the cut and the grind of the first match - but that beating was about far more than just weight.

It will be interesting to see how he does in repechage which is the first set of matches after weigh ins. At least if he can bounce back vs. the Cuban he gets a nice recovery break before the bronze match.

I think it's relevant to note that Kadzimahamedau also had a first round match, and also cut down from 79kg. 

I agree on the larger point that Kadzimahamedau was the better wrestler this time around.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Red95 said:

With the small olympic brackets there is very little time between the opening round and quarterfinals - less than an hour between Dake's two matches. So he had some additional recovery time but it's not like the huge break between QF and semis. My guess is he was still feeling the cut and the grind of the first match - but that beating was about far more than just weight.

It will be interesting to see how he does in repechage which is the first set of matches after weigh ins. At least if he can bounce back vs. the Cuban he gets a nice recovery break before the bronze match.

The cut wasn't it. He lost the 50/50 positions to a bigger, more powerful guy with equal skills. He looked 15lbs smaller and got big-brothered any time it got interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

guys the BLR wrestler (not going to spell his name) is incredible

he wiped chamizo away like a fly so many times he tried to press him

dake was simply not ready for the strength and the gameplan the guy had

This is true, not enough credit is being given to Dake’s opponent. I think he’s got a real shot against Sidakov.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake’s arrogance the past year made it hard not to like seeing him get blown up like that (at least a little). If he had to lose, and believe me I wanted to see him win, then I didn’t mind seeing him brought down a bit. Maybe he will start believing his cultish belief is BS pseudo-science had nothing to do with his success and maybe he will also start to understand that his dominance at 79kg wasn’t quite what he thought. Then next year he can win or hand it back to JB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

So how is it that nobody had this guy on their radar?  Is he a young up and comer that is the future of the weight, or a journeyman Having the tournament of his life?

Has been around for a while at 70 and 79 but nothing that would indicate he would handle Dake and Chamizo on the same day with relative ease. He was a 70kg national champ in Russia  and 2020 79kg euro champ though so it's not like he is a scrub.

https://uww.org/athletes/kadzimahamedau-mahamedkhabib

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GockeS said:

guys the BLR wrestler (not going to spell his name) is incredible

he wiped chamizo away like a fly so many times he tried to press him

dake was simply not ready for the strength and the gameplan the guy had

what match were you watchin'?

Chamizo scored every time he wanted to. but chamizo is stupid and plays games. his dumb strategy - not skills - lost him that match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

what match were you watchin'?

Chamizo scored every time he wanted to. but chamizo is stupid and plays games. his dumb strategy - not skills - lost him that match

I didn’t watch the same match as you.  Chamizo absolutely did NOT score every time he wanted to.  Was this post in sarcasm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...