Crash

Dake - What was wrong with him?

I still wonder what Dake was gesturing about at the 4:40 mark. He called for "time" and rubbed the back of his head. I didn't see anything unusual in the action that would make me think he was injured. We often see his subconscious battle coming out verbally, so hopefully it's just that. 

After seeing Chamizo get handled this morning, I'm more convinced that Dake just got whooped. He worked himself into high-stakes situations and lost. Then, instead of adjusting his strategy, he doubled down, bet on himself, and got whooped a second time. By then he was out of his head because coming back from 9-0, when you're getting whooped in those ties, ain't happening. 

28 minutes ago, nom said:

I didn’t watch the same match as you.  Chamizo absolutely did NOT score every time he wanted to.  Was this post in sarcasm?

lol.  that's great. 

i talked with about half a dozen coaches this afternoon that have coached world medalists. 

45 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

lol.  that's great. 

i talked with about half a dozen coaches this afternoon that have coached world medalists. 

...care to expand on that?

I saw the Belarusian countering well against a heavily favored opponent.

What do all these world-class eyes see that we don't?

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

what match were you watchin'?

Chamizo scored every time he wanted to. but chamizo is stupid and plays games. his dumb strategy - not skills - lost him that match

thats why he got so many takedowns ?

57 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

lol.  that's great. 

and that means that chamizo scored at will ?

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

what match were you watchin'?

Chamizo scored every time he wanted to. but chamizo is stupid and plays games. his dumb strategy - not skills - lost him that match

That's such bull****, and you know it. If he scored every time he wanted to, there's a 0% chance he loses the match. 

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

why? Team USA has been nails the way it is. don't change it for 1 person who had an off match. 

I don’t see the harm in moving the weigh ins to better match what competition will actually be like. Dake may have still won, and I’d still favor him in a best 2 out of 3 against JB with a 2 hour before weigh in. At the least, it would have given him a better idea of how his body would have felt facing elite competition so close to making weight. 

The reason to make the switch is for the sake of future competitions. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

On Twitter, Dan Sweeney (who has a BJJ background) posted some analysis of the Dake-Kadzi match. 

This is what Sweeney had to say about the first scoring sequence where Kadzi went up 6-0:

• Dake gets to his bodylock position & Kadzimahamedau executes one of the best counters you'll see - scoops up Dake's left leg, skip steps to his left (steps on foot, too), & keeps the leg elevation + overhook for a 4 point throw. Follows it up with a hip-in counter to make it 6-0. Video here.

Then the second sequence where Kadzi went up 9-0:

• About 30 seconds later Kadzimahamedau again counters Dake's bodylock by scooping Dake's left leg. Video here.

Then the third sequence where Kadzi went up 11-0:

• Here's the Kadzimahamedau TD that sealed it. Once on the mat he doubles up on Dake's right leg, elevates it to the ceiling & keeps Dake on his butt. A theme in this match was Kadzimahamedau's ability to sap Dake's power in positions he's normally strong in by elevating a leg. Video here.

7 hours ago, Bearcat09 said:

I only saw the first match he had.  In my opinion he looked like he was trying not to lose.  It's a lot of pressure, I wonder if Taylor dominating to the finals too set the bar and pressure that much higher on him that he felt he had to do the same.  I didn't see the second match yet but want to check it out.

The first match was against a tough Iranian who stalled the whole time. Anyone who knows anything about Dake knows he has a lot of close wins. That match was just fine.

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

On Twitter, Dan Sweeney (who has a BJJ background) posted some analysis of the Dake-Kadzi match. 

This is what Sweeney had to say about the first scoring sequence where Kadzi went up 6-0:

• Dake gets to his bodylock position & Kadzimahamedau executes one of the best counters you'll see - scoops up Dake's left leg, skip steps to his left (steps on foot, too), & keeps the leg elevation + overhook for a 4 point throw. Follows it up with a hip-in counter to make it 6-0. Video here.

Then the second sequence where Kadzi went up 9-0:

• About 30 seconds later Kadzimahamedau again counters Dake's bodylock by scooping Dake's left leg. Video here.

Then the third sequence where Kadzi went up 11-0:

• Here's the Kadzimahamedau TD that sealed it. Once on the mat he doubles up on Dake's right leg, elevates it to the ceiling & keeps Dake on his butt. A theme in this match was Kadzimahamedau's ability to sap Dake's power in positions he's normally strong in by elevating a leg. Video here.

This is pretty great. It also illustrates Dake was uncharacteristically his own worst enemy in this match. He was overaggressive and forcing action he normally wouldn't ever do and put himself in danger against a world class opponent. 

Since watching him as a freshman in college I can't ever recall him doing what he did yesterday. That's what makes it so shocking. It's biased, but I think we would've seen a totally different result if Dake let that match come to him. Maybe watching DT dominate inspired him to try and go that hard - who knows. All I know is it was truly bizarre to watch him implode like that. 

Even when he was down 6-0 I felt like he'd inevitably come back if he slowed down and just wrestled his style. Figured he needed a TD and then he could hit some guts to even it. He lost by forcing action on the edge...which is like the antithesis of the Dake we know. Normally his mental toughness and gameplanning is second to none. 

I feel bad for the guy, put in all that work and finally get over the JB hump, only to have the worst match you've wrestled come at the worst possible time. Hopefully he can bounce back today. 

Another question - was the first sequence actually 4?  Grey wanted to throw the brick but Dake waved him off, on a quick replay it looked like he didn't fully expose his back but I saw in the heat of the moment (tm Asia) and I didn't revisit. 

If they challenged the 4 and they determined it was 2 does the second exposure go away as well?  Can't remember if that's the rule in folk or free

Ed Gallo wrote a great bracket analysis piece on Bloodyelbow.com.  

He was fully aware of the danger Kadimagomedov posed for Dake.  He wrote:

"Dake’s quarterfinal is murder, he’ll likely have #3 Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov. I wrote about Kadimagomedov’s fantastic run at the Last Chance Olympic Qualifier, he’s in fine form heading into this tournament. Kadimagomedov is an excellent counter wrestler, and is great at utilizing upper-body setups to get to safe attacks on the feet. It’s as close to a mirror match as you’re going to get at this weight. Make no mistake - this is a dangerous matchup for Kyle Dake, and it’s really a shame that this bracket was so poorly assembled."

So essentially Dake was wrestling his twin.  I encourage you all to read Ed's take.  It is a good read and kinda explains Dake's loss once you understand how good Kadimagomedov is.  I knew nothing about him until I read this article a couple of days ago.  

Here are the 2 links on the preview and his description on Kadimagovedov's fantastic run.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/8/4/22609266/2020-tokyo-olympic-games-mens-freestyle-bracket-analysis-74-125-kg

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/5/7/22423958/wrestling-breakdown-magomedkhabib-kadimagomedov-upsets-salkazanov-to-become-olympian

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Did Burroughs say much about Dake's performance. Maybe he would not since they are rivals. But it would be interesting to hear his honest assessment.

I'm watching the replay of the Semi's this morning. JB had a mature approach very objective. He just said he hopes he can come back for bronze. Nothing about strategy or what happened on the mat. 

2 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

I'm watching the replay of the Semi's this morning. JB had a mature approach very objective. He just said he hopes he can come back for bronze. Nothing about strategy or what happened on the mat. 

Yeah, that's useless. I'd like to know what he REALLY thinks. But not surprised he won't say.

6 minutes ago, sisi said:

Ed Gallo wrote a great bracket analysis piece on Bloodyelbow.com.  

He was fully aware of the danger Kadimagomedov posed for Dake.  He wrote:

"Dake’s quarterfinal is murder, he’ll likely have #3 Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov. I wrote about Kadimagomedov’s fantastic run at the Last Chance Olympic Qualifier, he’s in fine form heading into this tournament. Kadimagomedov is an excellent counter wrestler, and is great at utilizing upper-body setups to get to safe attacks on the feet. It’s as close to a mirror match as you’re going to get at this weight. Make no mistake - this is a dangerous matchup for Kyle Dake, and it’s really a shame that this bracket was so poorly assembled."

So essentially Dake was wrestling his twin.  I encourage you all to read Ed's take.  It is a good read and kinda explains Dake's loss once you understand how good Kadimagomedov is.  I knew nothing about him until I read this article a couple of days ago.  

Here are the 2 links on the preview and his description on Kadimagovedov's fantastic run.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/8/4/22609266/2020-tokyo-olympic-games-mens-freestyle-bracket-analysis-74-125-kg

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/5/7/22423958/wrestling-breakdown-magomedkhabib-kadimagomedov-upsets-salkazanov-to-become-olympian

Interesting. BUT Gallo also said: "I am tentatively picking Kyle Dake to take out the pound-for-pound #2 wrestler in the world and become an Olympic champion." Ooops!

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Interesting. BUT Gallo also said: "I am tentatively picking Kyle Dake to take out the pound-for-pound #2 wrestler in the world and become an Olympic champion." Ooops!

Yeah he did but he did say "tentatively" .  

2 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

Food for thought, everyone looks off when they have their arses handed back to them.  Gable made his Turkish opponent look silly.

I hear you, but not the same, dake’s legs and arms were legitimately smaller than they usually are.  Dude is an absolute specimen when he’s dialed in, he looked smaller than the Iranian, and he didn’t have the pop he usually does when he wrestled kadzimahamedov.  Whatever ‘medov’s creds, they aren’t better than Dakes (well, not before today), and he literally just reached over and picked kyles leg up.  Having put myself through some multi-day, godawful weightcuts in college a few times, you aren’t the same all day.  These guys walk a very fine line, especially at lower weights. Guess it was a bit of foreshadowing when Grey put the post out about Dake heading to the sauna…

Hopefully he can clear his head and get some hardware.  He got stomped, it happens, a rebound would be awesome.  

15 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Yeah, that's useless. I'd like to know what he REALLY thinks. But not surprised he won't say.

I’m sure he feels the way Dake did in 2016.  JB really has no right to have an opinion on Kyle’s wrestling other than as a (hopefully) supportive teammate.

I understand the disappointment, but with how Jb has been on the mat in recent years, let’s not pretend that he has the tools anymore to put it on a dude who brought the smoke like Kadzimahamedov did.  

I think we got collectively dark-horsed as a country.  We overlooked a russian national champ.  That’s one of the most elite accomplishments in all sport, not just wrestling.  Whoops on our part. 

24 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I’m sure he feels the way Dake did in 2016.  JB really has no right to have an opinion on Kyle’s wrestling other than as a (hopefully) supportive teammate.

I understand the disappointment, but with how Jb has been on the mat in recent years, let’s not pretend that he has the tools anymore to put it on a dude who brought the smoke like Kadzimahamedov did.  

I think we got collectively dark-horsed as a country.  We overlooked a russian national champ.  That’s one of the most elite accomplishments in all sport, not just wrestling.  Whoops on our part. 

He has no right? That’s.. interesting 

I'll tell you what happened. 

He got beat.

I fully expect him to medal and did before the Olympics started, but now everybody should really appreciate what JB has done for the United States at 74kg since he took the spot.