Class

Penn State wins again

The Olympic Games are a Penn State/NLWC showcase.  Any top level recruits wanting to get in that room?!?!  Cael, Casey and Cody all over the place.  Starocci and Brooks cornering, training and soaking it all in.

Ohio State, Iowa and the others are pretty much non-existent.

4 minutes ago, Class said:

The Olympic Games are a Penn State/NLWC showcase.  Any top level recruits wanting to get in that room?!?!  Cael, Casey and Cody all over the place.  Starocci and Brooks cornering, training and soaking it all in.

Ohio State, Iowa and the others are pretty much non-existent.

It seems like the best option is to Minnesota for undergrad and go to PSU after to train at the NLWC. Only one PSU alum is on the team.

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It seems like the best option is to Minnesota for undergrad and go to PSU after to train at the NLWC. Only one PSU alum is on the team.

Gable seems to be doing fine not being at NLWC.... and yes, only one PSU alum on the team so I am not convinced you lump those two groups together. 

RBY and Gilman are BFFs and train together.  Taylor's training partner is Aaron Brooks, Bekzod's is Carter Starocci.  The programs are one and the same.

Iowa won 0 matches at the Olympic Team Trials and were able to save money by going back to Iowa City for day 2 of that event.  For the Olympics as a program they are setting their alarms so they can watch the action.  Meanwhile the PSU/NLWC contingent is bogarting all of the food in the coaches hospitality room in Tokyo.

5 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I thought commingling NCAA athletes and senior wrestlers was a no-no?

Not within the confines of an RTC away from an institutional practice OR if USAW approves and if the senior level is still within 2 Olympic cycles of his graduation.

Gable loves it at Minnesota and he has everything he needs to be successful right here at home.

NLWC is a great program, but the transplants Gilman and Snyder achieved very high levels of success elsewhere as well prior to coming over.

The moral of story is that the elite can find high levels of success at a handful or two of programs. NLWC isn’t necessarily the answer for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Class said:

RBY and Gilman are BFFs and train together.  Taylor's training partner is Aaron Brooks, Bekzod's is Carter Starocci.  The programs are one and the same.

Iowa won 0 matches at the Olympic Team Trials and were able to save money by going back to Iowa City for day 2 of that event.  For the Olympics as a program they are setting their alarms so they can watch the action.  Meanwhile the PSU/NLWC contingent is bogarting all of the food in the coaches hospitality room in Tokyo.

Psu has to go after guys like Gilman and Snyder who are already developed. Otherwise it brings attention to the fact that guys like Retherford dont live up to post collegiate expectations.... not to mention Hall who was a freestyle dynamo and is no longer even top 5 in America. 

Psu has to go after guys like Gilman and Snyder who are already developed. Otherwise it brings attention to the fact that guys like Retherford dont live up to post collegiate expectations.... not to mention Hall who was a freestyle dynamo and is no longer even top 5 in America. 
Nico too. He was a gold medalist in their minds until he wasn't.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, cjc007 said:

Nico too. He was a gold medalist in their minds until he wasn't.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lets face it, medalists are actually few and far between anyways. We can list a ton of guys from any team who didnt make it, but its pretty ridiculous that PSU fans see NLWC take established medalists and pat Cael on the back for it and pretend it doesnt have anything to do with money. Otherwise, why isnt Nolf tearing it up? What ever happened to McIntosh? He was a huge recruit and right there with Cox, but Cael couldnt make him a medalist? All these #1 recruiting classes for PSU and yet David is the only one that is a home grown champ.... but yeah Gilman goes from 2nd to 3rd and its all because of NLWC. 

PSU fans are idiots.

Gilman improved tremendously by going to NLWC. Snyder believed he needed to move to NLWC to improve. You don't believe it because you are an Iowa homer with no representation from HWC at this Olympics, but these two wrestlers believe it. They count more than you do. 

Bekzod wraps up a super impressive bronze medal performance.  Not sure if PSU fans can feel good about that or not, what idiots.  While the NLWC is seemingly involved in every 3rd match this entire MFS it is just the Olympics and as a program it may be better if they were starting their conditioning session of their summer 2 a day grind.

Edited by Class

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Gilman improved tremendously by going to NLWC. Snyder believed he needed to move to NLWC to improve. You don't believe it because you are an Iowa homer with no representation from HWC at this Olympics, but these two wrestlers believe it. They count more than you do. 

... where is Hall this olympics Tbar? Jordan Burroughs memorably said he had to win now before Hall came and took over the spot. A sure thing, a prodigy actually got worse at freestyle wrestling, but you think NLWC is the bees knees because an already established guy goes from 2nd to 3rd. Yall are kidding yourselves.

32 minutes ago, Class said:

Bekzod wraps up a super impressive bronze medal performance.  Not sure if PSU fans can feel good about that or not, what idiots.  While the NLWC is seemingly involved in every 3rd match this entire MFS it is just the Olympics and as a program it may be better if they were starting their conditioning session of their summer 2 a day grind.

1000 percent happy for Bekzod. He wrestled a great match. Clarion then NLWC can take pride in his performance.

Some wrestlers don't translate from college to Freestyle well no matter how much you think they should. Some don't have aspirations for Freestyle. Some burnout and some are tweeners like Hall. It doesn't matter if you are top 5 in the world at a weight class if that #1 is from the us too, you aren't going to the Olympics and bringing home a medal. The point is there are more wrestlers that didn't make the team and medal from all the other colleges/wrestling clubs/RTC's compared to NLWC. That very well may change in 2024.

The Iowa butt hurt is strong in this thread.   Really enjoyable.  Icing on a great morning cake. 

Gilman is obviously mentally and physically improved.  Kyle is back in the Gold medal match - hard to ask for more than that although I guess we will see if we get more tomorrow morning.

Getting to the top of the hill is all these guys care about. No chance they moved for a few $$.  Why doesn't Iowa support their wrestlers or make them better?  Did they disband their RTC?  At least Tom got a nice package to coach pushing, shoving, grimacing, and intergalactic domination.  

Iowa had the brightest collegian / Olympic hopeful in Spencer and look to have ruined him.    They will have a tough time living that down for the next 7 years. 

There's no question Gilman has made the strides where he needed to make them since joining NLWC.  Not only in his movement but some new attacks technique that he scored with multiple times this week.  Snyder looks to have done the same, he's not a cement block on the mat like he had shifted to 18 into 19, but he hasn't really wrestled the top guys yet so we will see tomorrow morning.  

Yes these guys were already accomplished before they went to NLWC.  But if you can't see the progress they have made since joining you are simply being blockheaded biased.

The Iowa butt hurt is strong in this thread.   Really enjoyable.  Icing on a great morning cake. 
Gilman is obviously mentally and physically improved.  Kyle is back in the Gold medal match - hard to ask for more than that although I guess we will see if we get more tomorrow morning.
Getting to the top of the hill is all these guys care about. No chance they moved for a few $$.  Why doesn't Iowa support their wrestlers or make them better?  Did they disband their RTC?  At least Tom got a nice package to coach pushing, shoving, grimacing, and intergalactic domination.  
Iowa had the brightest collegian / Olympic hopeful in Spencer and look to have ruined him.    They will have a tough time living that down for the next 7 years. 

Nelson will be taking Eye Gouges and Fishhooks 3111 this fall, I hear.

Iowa is looking to improve beyond simple biting and scratching for this upcoming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a wrestling fan for over 55 years. Grew up in State College, PSU fan forever. Let's be real here: there are many great college wrestling schools who produce amazing wrestlers. A few go on and translate their skills to fit the International norms.

PSC is on a roll, like OSU and Iowa have had and will have again. We need this healthy competition at the college level. We are happy when our team wins and sad when they do not. But damn, do I love wrestling.

So yes, Cael is doing an amazing job, as are so many others. This is the time to express our Love for USA wrestling and for all the Great Programs, Coaches and Wrestlers. A gritty tough sport. My heartfelt appreciation!

1 minute ago, dwkeller said:

Been a wrestling fan for over 55 years. Grew up in State College, PSU fan forever. Let's be real here: there are many great college wrestling schools who produce amazing wrestlers. A few go on and translate their skills to fit the International norms.

PSC is on a roll, like OSU and Iowa have had and will have again. We need this healthy competition at the college level. We are happy when our team wins and sad when they do not. But damn, do I love wrestling.

So yes, Cael is doing an amazing job, as are so many others. This is the time to express our Love for USA wrestling and for all the Great Programs, Coaches and Wrestlers. A gritty tough sport. My heartfelt appreciation!

So then, you don't have a brother Darrell (or another brother Daryl)

difference between silver and bronze is which round the random draw puts you against the eventual gold medalist. this is the best gilman has looked in forever. i don't think it's NLWC necessarily but the medal comparison doesn't matter either. snyder has looked basically the same and i guess we'll know if anything is different tonight.

I have no team in this discussion...but having coached almost my entire life , anyone who takes sole credit for an accomplishment is ignorant and/or naive. Gilman has had 1 year at NL and many more years under Brands. As stated, he went from 2nd to 3rd and at the end of the day he didn't get the gold he has been looking for.  So props to Iowa and NL for developing him...but more so Iowa. Snyder... same situation...I hope he wins a gold... but it won't be solely because of NL - So many people have trained and worked out with him. He already has multiple world level golds without NL. He needed a change and NL provided it for him. Good for them. At the end of the day - Props to tOSU and NL for making that happen if wins that gold. If he doesn't, will it be NL fault that he didn't beat a guy that he previously beat under other coaching?  The only real homegrown gold medalist that NL gets credit for is David Taylor. And they should get huge props for that - the guy is an animal and the final seconds were epic. Good job to NL....  The same is true for those it would be reversed - leave NL for another club.  

3 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Gillman got a silver at Iowa. Iowa just won the NCAA title. Spencer just won the hodge. PSU fans are delusional.

15 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Hall is just getting started!   Hoping for some mojo with Hall and JB training together.