Class

Penn State wins again

38 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I have no team in this discussion...but having coached almost my entire life , anyone who takes sole credit for an accomplishment is ignorant and/or naive. Gilman has had 1 year at NL and many more years under Brands. As stated, he went from 2nd to 3rd and at the end of the day he didn't get the gold he has been looking for.  So props to Iowa and NL for developing him...but more so Iowa. Snyder... same situation...I hope he wins a gold... but it won't be solely because of NL - So many people have trained and worked out with him. He already has multiple world level golds without NL. He needed a change and NL provided it for him. Good for them. At the end of the day - Props to tOSU and NL for making that happen if wins that gold. If he doesn't, will it be NL fault that he didn't beat a guy that he previously beat under other coaching?  The only real homegrown gold medalist that NL gets credit for is David Taylor. And they should get huge props for that - the guy is an animal and the final seconds were epic. Good job to NL....  The same is true for those it would be reversed - leave NL for another club.  

Great post and great perspective and I agree.  But it does say something when the majority of the Olympic stars are ending up at NL...they clearly are doing something gooder.  However, as you said, it doesn't mean they get sole credit.

42 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Great post and great perspective and I agree.  But it does say something when the majority of the Olympic stars are ending up at NL...they clearly are doing something gooder.  However, as you said, it doesn't mean they get sole credit.

Yeah I agree - they do have a great program at NL and a lot of guys are showing up there. In approximately 2-5 years there is going to be a big wave of these guys competing now on the open market for coaching positions at either  schools, clubs or both. It will be interesting to see how that aspect shakes out in a few years. 

It’s not all or nothing. Y’all are being fanboys. 

Gilman obviously wouldn’t be who he is without Iowa. He also gained a lot by having new world class coaches with a different perspective. His mental game changed quite a bit too. I bet you Cael gives Tom credit for how good Gilman is.

Snyder was a phenom from when he was little. At Ohio State he became a world and Olympic champion. Once he started stagnating, he needed a change and has continued to evolve and add to his skill set. That’s a good thing. 

18 hours ago, dman115 said:

NL has figured something out around how to train, mentally and physically. The money component is huge though. Granted, the main reason they have that money is because of how good Cael and his staff are at their jobs. 

Snyder did better this time than the last time he faced Sadulaev, which was when he was still with Ohio.

Today, Snyder had more in the tank than Sadulaev at the end but not quite enough to make up for the incredible counter scoring earlier in the match. Sadulaev scored both of his takedowns off of Snyder's shots with just incredible strength. Two incredible sprawls into lifts for exposure. Snyder did well to keep the first of those to 2 instead of 5, which I thought was about to happen. At the end, Snyder got 2, then a step out and then came incredibly close to a feet-to-back but Sadulaev was able to stay balanced and upright with about 17 seconds left and I think at that point Snyder had nothing left either, given the 3 point difference. Incredible match. 

This whole Olympics has been incredibly fun to watch. While I'm here I may as well say this (as a total Yianni stan): based on what i saw this week and compared to the US Olympic Trials and Last Chance, 65 is so deep I don't think any of our guys were all that likely to medal this year without a very favorable draw to bronze.

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

Snyder did better this time than the last time he faced Sadulaev, which was when he was still with Ohio.

Today, Snyder had more in the tank than Sadulaev at the end but not quite enough to make up for the incredible counter scoring earlier in the match. Sadulaev scored both of his takedowns off of Snyder's shots with just incredible strength. Two incredible sprawls into lifts for exposure. Snyder did well to keep the first of those to 2 instead of 5, which I thought was about to happen. At the end, Snyder got 2, then a step out and then came incredibly close to a feet-to-back but Sadulaev was able to stay balanced and upright with about 17 seconds left and I think at that point Snyder had nothing left either, given the 3 point difference. Incredible match. 

This whole Olympics has been incredibly fun to watch. While I'm here I may as well say this (as a total Yianni stan): based on what i saw this week and compared to the US Olympic Trials and Last Chance, 65 is so deep I don't think any of our guys were all that likely to medal this year without a very favorable draw to bronze.

But not as well as the first time when he was with Ohio. 

Just now, Idaho said:

But not as well as the first time when he was with Ohio. 

no of course not - my point is the same as yours. it's silly to over-credit or over-blame any particular staff, all of which are stocked with talented people, and posters are cherry-picking just to be jerks.

2 minutes ago, ugarte said:

no of course not - my point is the same as yours. it's silly to over-credit or over-blame any particular staff, all of which are stocked with talented people, and posters are cherry-picking just to be jerks.

Very true.... this is where the guy with 7 posts shows up. 

It’s fun watching people want to nitpick what to what year and this to that to fit their agenda. 

How bout this. Both did better their first senior team with their previous club then their last senior team with their previous. And both improved, in placement and in actual wrestling, this year from then. 

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

I guess anything is better than getting pinned. So you are right. Course he also got pinned by Mohammadian after the joined NLWC which got everyone excited about Mohammadian..only to be sadly disappointed with him since. I think Iran is second guessing their decision to send him to the Olympics and would love a Mulligan based on that one result. When you are Iran pinning Captain America gives you a lot of street cred...sucks for Iran

Edited by DocBZ

On 8/5/2021 at 11:34 AM, Class said:

The Olympic Games are a Penn State/NLWC showcase.  Any top level recruits wanting to get in that room?!?!  Cael, Casey and Cody all over the place.  Starocci and Brooks cornering, training and soaking it all in.

Ohio State, Iowa and the others are pretty much non-existent.

Is that how Starocci was there?  I was wondering...

Didn’t someone say on the international board though that international guys aren’t supposed to be full-time members of RTC’s?

Edited by 1032004

I didn't know this but David Taylor is the first Penn State wrestler to win Olympic gold. However, he is the second PSU wrestler to medal at the Olympics - the first was Katsutoshi Naito won the bronze medal at the featherweight division in 1924 representing Japan. Congratulations and hope this is the start of something big.