Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

Dake vs Chamizo for Bronze

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Jrr277 said:

Are you watching on PC? Dake is just taking the mat on TV

The website and app shows each mat's live stream. The Olympic Channel broadcast is live but they delay some of the matches a few minutes (like when two Americans are wrestling at the same time they will show one after the other).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red95 said:

The website and app shows each mat's live stream. The Olympic Channel broadcast is live but they delay some of the matches a few minutes (like when two Americans are wrestling at the same time they will show one after the other).

I'm watching from NBColympics.com

https://stream.nbcolympics.com/wrestling-day-6-mens-womens-freestyle-elimination-mat-a

I've got all three mats live. Insufferable announcing by two worthless British guys on mat B, but the others are just crowd sound. 

Edited by denger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s really weird reading through some of these threads with the Burroughs fans saying things like “wow this makes you appreciate JB” and so on. As if there’s a huge hole in their brain where 2016 in Rio didn’t happen. If I remember correctly, Burroughs lost a tough quarterfinal and then got teched when he was pulled back into the tourney. My 3 takeaways:

1) Wrestling is hard.

2) The Olympics are hard. 

3) No need to poopoo on Dake for a tough loss and compare him to JB. He earned his spot and had a tough quarterfinal showing. If he comes back and takes bronze he will have done well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

It’s really weird reading through some of these threads with the Burroughs fans saying things like “wow this makes you appreciate JB” and so on. As if there’s a huge hole in their brain where 2016 in Rio didn’t happen. If I remember correctly, Burroughs lost a tough quarterfinal and then got teched when he was pulled back into the tourney. My 3 takeaways:

1) Wrestling is hard.

2) The Olympics are hard. 

3) No need to poopoo on Dake for a tough loss and compare him to JB. He earned his spot and had a tough quarterfinal showing. If he comes back and takes bronze he will have done well. 

So if he doesn't win bronze then it's a failure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sisi said:

So if he doesn't win bronze then it's a failure?

In my opinion no medal for Dake would be a disappointment, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a failure. Especially if he loses to the gold/silver medalist and Chamizo for bronze.  Dake/Chamizo will be a great match. I believe both of them would be disappointed to leave Tokyo without a medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

Is there such a thing as an "epic" bronze medal match?

 

2 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

In my opinion no medal for Dake would be a disappointment, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a failure. Especially if he loses to the gold/silver medalist and Chamizo for bronze.  Dake/Chamizo will be a great match. I believe both of them would be disappointed to leave Tokyo without a medal.

Yep. Stakes are still high, they're just contesting a different advancement than we anticipated. 

Based on performances this Games the logical pick would we Frank, something like 5-3. I'm taking Dake by the same margin, because...USA!

I'm hoping for something more like 8-7, though. That'd show us lots of risks and skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake and Chamizo going to mat.  Let's go Kyle, let's go.  

Dake with soft fakes.  Chamizo goes in but backs out.  Dake has leg.  works to edge, but then some scrambling.  Chamizo is crafty.  Dake gets a body lock but ends up with 1 point for step out.  1-0 Dake.  Dake single.  Lifts, tries to sweep, does but Chamizo bounces off mat and nearly puts Dake in bad spot.  Dake has leg again and lifts and step out.  Woah.  2-0 Dake.  But woah.  Frank warned for passivity. 4 min to go now.  Chamizo fires but Dake lowers and prevents.  Frank feints.  Dake warned.  Frank in on leg, deep.  Dake trying position hip to hoist over ... And . .... and ... and ... and he does!  4-0 Dake!  

End of first.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd period.  Dake feint.  Frank looks calm.  Dake moving.  Frank moving in.  Dake gets leg but gives it up.  2:25 to go.  Dake on knees, reaching in.  2min.  Dake rotating around.  Frank holding center.  Dake on knees, then shoots in.  Gets leg but lets go.  Kyle gets ankle but releases.  1:15 ... Frank moving forward.  Frank not flinching on feints.  Frank with front head lock.  Nope.  45 sec.  Dake warned.  20 sec.  Dake gets leg and happy with pushout.  5-0.  Frank slaps hand.  gives up with 10 sec to go.

Dake with Bronze!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake looked great! That’s the Dake we know! It is a shame he had one bad match at the wrong time. I think he simply was a little over confident in his body lock position, and then after going down 6-0 he got flustered. Instead of trying to clawing back, he kept trying to go big and made more mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Dake looked great! That’s the Dake we know! It is a shame he had one bad match at the wrong time. I think he simply was a little over confident in his body lock position, and then after going down 6-0 he got flustered. Instead of trying to clawing back, he kept trying to go big and made more mistakes.

Dake has stated that he doesn’t watch much film on his opponents. He should rethink that as he gets more scouted himself. Obviously he has studied JB very well, so it’s not like he can’t make adjustments even against the very best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Dake has stated that he doesn’t watch much film on his opponents. He should rethink that as he gets more scouted himself. Obviously he has studied JB very well, so it’s not like he can’t make adjustments even against the very best.

That surprises me. Dake seems to change his style to whatever he needs to beat his opponent. I would’ve guessed he does more film than most. I guess he typically knows his US opponents well enough and was maybe overconfident about his international success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Dake has stated that he doesn’t watch much film on his opponents. He should rethink that as he gets more scouted himself. Obviously he has studied JB very well, so it’s not like he can’t make adjustments even against the very best.

Somebody just needs to inception him into thinking watching film keeps your genes healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nom said:

2nd period.  Dake feint.  Frank looks calm.  Dake moving.  Frank moving in.  Dake gets leg but gives it up.  2:25 to go.  Dake on knees, reaching in.  2min.  Dake rotating around.  Frank holding center.  Dake on knees, then shoots in.  Gets leg but lets go.  Kyle gets ankle but releases.  1:15 ... Frank moving forward.  Frank not flinching on feints.  Frank with front head lock.  Nope.  45 sec.  Dake warned.  20 sec.  Dake gets leg and happy with pushout.  5-0.  Frank slaps hand.  gives up with 10 sec to go.

Dake with Bronze!

Thanks for the PBP—much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very happy Dake came back to medal. That was a very good performance against Chazimo. That's the type of match where Dake is at his best, not going for bombs which will not work against elite opponents. I think Dake may have been the victim of a very unlucky draw. The guy he lost to is strong and an excellent counter wrestler who scored his points countering Dake's overaggression. But he was beatable if Dake wrestled defensively as opposed to going for body locks and throws at the edge. Maybe he was sucked out and lost in positions he would normally win, but he should have been avoiding those positions from the onset. I just wonder what would have happened if the bracket had been different and he met him in the semis with a better appreciation of what he could do and a better game plan, but that's the challenge of the Olympics. 

Anyway he is an Olympic medalist and the WC is a few months away. 

  

Edited by iha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, iha said:

I'm very happy Dake came back to medal. That was a very good performance against Chazimo. That's the type of match where Dake is at his best, not going for bombs which will not work against elite opponents. I think Dake may have been the victim of a very unlucky draw. The guy he lost to is strong and an excellent counter wrestler who scored his points countering Dake's overaggression. But he was beatable if Dake wrestled defensively as opposed to going for body locks and throws at the edge. Maybe he was sucked out and lost in positions he would normally win, but he should have been avoiding those positions from the onset. I just wonder what would have happened if the bracket had been different and he met him in the semis with a better appreciation of what he could do and a better game plan, but that's the challenge of the Olympics. 

Anyway he is an Olympic medalist and the WC is a few months away. 

  

According to Dake fans, Dake has been supremely unlucky!

  1. 2013 - Unfair WTTs
  2. 2015 - Unfair WTTs
  3. 2016 - Undersized
  4. 2017 - US Open match was poorly officiated, resulting in unfair WTTs
  5. 2018 - Fair
  6. 2019 - Fair
  7. 2020 - Excuse pending (bad draw? sucked out on day 1 against another former 79kger but okay on day 2?)

Dake's a legend; I don't think all the excuses are necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katie is a Dake hater … that said … I agree .. no freaking excuses for this Olympics.  People are trying to reconcile expectations vs reality.  I get it, it is human to try to defend a personal hero.

That said … Dake simply got beat.  You can say he wrestled a bad match … fine.  That isn’t an excuse.  He just didn’t execute and/or had a bad game plan.  Can also say his opponent knew what to do to beat him. Kudos to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...