Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

Dake vs Chamizo for Bronze

10 minutes ago, nom said:

Katie is a Dake hater … that said … I agree .. no freaking excuses for this Olympics.  People are trying to reconcile expectations vs reality.  I get it, it is human to try to defend a personal hero.

That said … Dake simply got beat.  You can say he wrestled a bad match … fine.  That isn’t an excuse.  He just didn’t execute and/or had a bad game plan.  Can also say his opponent knew what to do to beat him. Kudos to him.

I consistently praise Dake's skills, and everything I've seen tells me he's a good person.  It's more that I'm annoyed by his fans.

But I'm glad you can agree with at least some of what I'm saying.

18 minutes ago, nom said:

Katie is a Dake hater … that said … I agree .. no freaking excuses for this Olympics.  People are trying to reconcile expectations vs reality.  I get it, it is human to try to defend a personal hero.

That said … Dake simply got beat.  You can say he wrestled a bad match … fine.  That isn’t an excuse.  He just didn’t execute and/or had a bad game plan.  Can also say his opponent knew what to do to beat him. Kudos to him.

Dake was the aggressor in his loss. He got beat on position several times that match. Which is stunning to me. My takeaway is I'd rather see someone get beat by the better wrestler trying, instead of waiting.

1 hour ago, nom said:

People are trying to reconcile expectations vs reality.  I get it, it is human to try to defend a personal hero.

But I also think those expectations were not unreasonable given Dake's recent performances; losing to Kadimagomedov may have been unexpected, but losing so badly was just shocking, and not just to Dake fans.  It's hard to explain it whether you are rooting for him or not.

For my part, I do think we all try to overexplain things.  Elite athletes are not robots.  Sometimes even the best have a bad performance, or a bad day.  There could be one reason why, there could be a combination of things.  But as a big Dake fan, I am inclined to think that loss, while unfortunate, was something of an anomaly; at least I hope so!  The big question now is - how will he move on?

2 hours ago, red blades said:

But as a big Dake fan, I am inclined to think that loss, while unfortunate, was something of an anomaly; at least I hope so!  The big question now is - how will he move on?

I think he answered that pretty emphatically when he handled a game Chamizo with confidence and relative ease. And Chamizo was not mailing it in. Some of those scrambles were alien status.

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think he answered that pretty emphatically when he handled a game Chamizo with confidence and relative ease. And Chamizo was not mailing it in. Some of those scrambles were alien status.

I would not be surprised to see Dake beat Kadzi if they face each other again.  After all, he had a striking turnaround with Gadzhimagomedov.  He lost to Gadzhi 1-8 at the 2018 Yarygin, and then teched him at 2018 worlds. 

I would also consider Dake to be a favorite over Chamizo at this point. 

But Sidakov looked stellar, and I would have to think he would be favored over Dake if they ever met.

10 hours ago, Katie said:

According to Dake fans, Dake has been supremely unlucky!

1. 2013 - Unfair WTTs
  2. 2015 - Unfair WTTs
  3. 2016 - Undersized
  4. 2017 - US Open match was poorly officiated, resulting in unfair WTTs
  5. 2018 - Fair
  6. 2019 - Fair
  7. 2020 - Excuse pending (bad draw? sucked out on day 1 against another former 79kger but okay on day 2?)

Dake's a legend; I don't think all the excuses are necessary.

Careful not to cut yourself carrying around that rusty axe you are grinding.