Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

How do we feel about…

I’m gonna play the game, why not, hear me out. 

The main thing about weights in the Olympics appears to be gross total of bodies. I personally like this games’ smaller bracket. What about taking that another step, in the spirit of compromise…

Cut the bracket again to 8, and go back to ten weights. That’s actually a net decrease of 16 athletes per style, but obviously an increase in of four weight classes. That increase creates opportunity windows for more countries to qualify and to medal. The qualifying would be top two at world. Winner of each continental. Top two at last change qual, with a true second. 

Argument could be made for 12 man bracket. That makes an even swap of total qualifiers. I personally don’t like it because I want to keep an even balanced bracket. When we are narrowing it down it really is even more “very best of the best” and I don’t want anyone to have the advantage of a bye after weigh in at the Olympics. An argument to that, could be that top four getting byes gives more incentive to get to the ranking series events, and it’s a good argument. I just prefer even bracket all things considered. 

What would we think about something like that? 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The main thing about weights in the Olympics appears to be gross total of bodies. I personally like this games’ smaller bracket. What about taking that another step, in the spirit of compromise…

Cut the bracket again to 8, and go back to ten weights. That’s actually a net decrease of 16 athletes per style, but obviously an increase in of four weight classes. That increase creates opportunity windows for more countries to qualify and to medal. The qualifying would be top two at world. Winner of each continental. Top two at last change qual, with a true second. 

Argument could be made for 12 man bracket. That makes an even swap of total qualifiers. I personally don’t like it because I want to keep an even balanced bracket. When we are narrowing it down it really is even more “very best of the best” and I don’t want anyone to have the advantage of a bye after weigh in at the Olympics. An argument to that, could be that top four getting byes gives more incentive to get to the ranking series events, and it’s a good argument. I just prefer even bracket all things considered. 

So you mean 8 wrestlers per weight?

With 4 medals?  So 50% of the field walks away with silverware? Eh. Makes the olympics sound like a participation trophy event. Is any other sport that generous in the athlete to medal ratio? I wouldn't like it. That would make qualification extremely important and not enough people follow it to justify that. 

1 minute ago, HawkY said:

With 4 medals?  So 50% of the field walks away with silverware? Eh. Makes the olympics sound like a participation trophy event. Is any other sport that generous in the athlete to medal ratio? I wouldn't like it. That would make qualification extremely important and not enough people follow it to justify that. 

The only reason the medal ratio is that high is because basically the first round or so of the bracket is being wildled down prior to the games. The ratio is higher, as is the stiffness of the competition. 

2 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Sure but then the real battle is in qualifying. And most people only watch the Olympics. It would  be weird relegating something that high stakes to a minor stage.  Also wouldn't Pans and Oceania/Africa still get a quota spot?  It would be them  One Euro, One Asia, and two world qualifiers.  Draws would become crazy important then. To an intolerable degree. Euro countries would get screwed. 

Good points. For me it’s a favorable change off for a full slate of weights but I know that’s not for everyone. I’d also go back to just one bronze if that helped make the push. 

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I like the concept.  i would say keep the total # of wrestlers the same at 96 but spread across 8 weight classes with 12 competitors.   Could still have a 16 man bracket but the top 4 seeds get a bye to the round of 8.  This would eliminate some of the drastic weight cut from the "tweeners."

Just now, Lurker said:

Good points. For me it’s a favorable change off for a full slate of weights but I know that’s not for everyone. I’d also go back to just one bronze if that helped make the push. 

I miscounted lol. It would be Asia Africa Europe, Pans, and 4 worlds not two. But still same problems. 

5 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Sure but then the real battle is in qualifying. And most people only watch the Olympics. It would  be weird relegating something that high stakes to a minor stage.  Also wouldn't Pans and Oceania/Africa still get a quota spot?  It would be them  One Euro, One Asia, and two world qualifiers.  Draws would become crazy important then. To an intolerable degree. Euro countries would get screwed. 

Couple other things thought of after hitting submit….

I don’t agree the real battle is in the qualifying, we’re not eliminating any of the top end guys. It’s just a higher ratio of the people in the bracket will be top end guys. (You’re point about oceana/Africa being a good one albeit)

And as far as Euro’s getting screwed, the reality of that is a higher ratio of russians in the bracket….actually representing Russia. Some of those guys representing other euro nations won’t make it. (Which means they’ll probably start going to Africa hahahaha)

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Couple other things thought of after hitting submit….

I don’t agree the real battle is in the qualifying, we’re not eliminating any of the top end guys. It’s just a higher ratio of the people in the bracket will be top end guys. (You’re point about oceana/Africa being a good one albeit)

And as far as Euro’s getting screwed, the reality of that is a higher ratio of russians in the bracket….actually representing Russia. Some of those guys representing other euro nations won’t make it. (Which means they’ll probably start going to Africa hahahaha)

If you have weird brackets at worlds or the last chance world qualifier, add in the  African qualifier,  and lets just say the US and Cuba both don't have a good rep (very possible). You could get a very weak Olympic cohort with a lot of top guys staying home. 

Also a lot of countries only have wrestling programs to get into the olympics. If some of these Euro countries get  discouraged with how hard its is to get in, they could just cut their programs. 

8 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Also a lot of countries only have wrestling programs to get into the olympics. If some of these Euro countries get  discouraged with how hard its is to get in, they could just cut their programs. 

Good point as well 

I don’t know if ten is necessary, but eight or nine certainly are.  Move the weights around a bit and do eight, you’ll catch the important people.

I love it if they amend the repechage system to one bronze medal again.  I don’t understand how they just decide “nah two is good.”. It’s literally just one more match per weight to get to a real bronze model.  It is actually a level of participation trophy nonsense and cheapens the hardware.  

Daniel Cormier should have a bronze medal on his wall based on modern rules.

That is the purist in me however, and more bronze is better for the sport and the smaller nations, so I’m torn on that.  But I love the concept, more weight classes, harder to qualify.  Current weight class gaps are laughably enormous.  

Why are Jordan Burroughs and David Taylor Gold medalists, but J’den Cox and Kyle dake are not? The former fit weights well, the latter are ‘tweeners.

Edited by Drew87

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I kinda like it, but the IOC, I think, would not. The Olympics is about having a lot of countries compete. This system would have, in each weight, a guy from ROC, Iran, USA, India, Georgia, Japan. Or there would be an African, a South American and an Aussie with no business being there. The field might actually be weaker.

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I don’t know if ten is necessary, but eight or nine certainly are.  Move the weights around a bit and do eight, you’ll catch the important people.

I love it if they amend the repechage system to one bronze medal again.  I don’t understand how they just decide “nah two is good.”. It’s literally just one more match per weight to get to a real bronze model.  It is actually a level of participation trophy nonsense and cheapens the hardware.  

Daniel Cormier should have a bronze medal on his wall based on modern rules.

That is the purist in me however, and more bronze is better for the sport and the smaller nations, so I’m torn on that.  But I love the concept, more weight classes, harder to qualify.  Current weight class gaps are laughably enormous.  

Why are Jordan Burroughs and David Taylor Gold medalists, but J’den Cox and Kyle dake are not? The former fit weights well, the latter are ‘tweeners.

Seeeee. Now we’re negotiating…

Nine weights is good because then branching out….9 is a good number for World Cup and dual meets. Get five to win.  

How about 9, with  10 per weight. Have a nice catch, qualifying for the games is top 10 in the world. Qualifying events and ranking series events combined into one. World championships and four ranking series events per year that factor into who qualifies and seeds. Placement in these events earn points toward qualifying and seeding. No more blind draw, bracket is seeded based on qualifying points.  Top 2 seeds get a bye in the games. Now we’re building a true season through more incentive to participate in these events.  

Im good going back to one bronze. I agree with you I get that it gives that extra opportunity for countries to medal, but I like going back to third is third. Carry that out through the proposed season. 

Edited by Lurker

12 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I think they should go to a bracket of 24. 

Top 8 from worlds, 3 from Pan Ams, 5 from Europe, 4 from Asia, 2 from Africa/Oceania, and 2 more from the last chance tournament. 

Your are not working within the rubric of the possible.

16 hours ago, HawkY said:

Silverware?