Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Altons' weight

I was surprised to see Dylan Alton entered at 66 kg (145.5 lbs) shortly after the NCAAs, where he competed at 157. Even with freestyle weigh-ins, that's a lot of extra weight to cut just weeks from the end of the NCAA season. Dylan is kicking ass, by the way, teching his first guy and beating a very tough Ruschell in the second match. He wrestled both matches within an hour or so of each other.

I was always under the impression that cutting weight was one of the reasons behind the infamous third period fade, but now I don't believe it is at all.

Does anyone know what the Altons weight is off-season, when they're "fat and happy"?

I was surprised to see Dylan Alton entered at 66 kg (145.5 lbs) shortly after the NCAAs, where he competed at 157. Even with freestyle weigh-ins, that's a lot of extra weight to cut just weeks from the end of the NCAA season. Dylan is kicking ass, by the way, teching his first guy and beating a very tough Ruschell in the second match. He wrestled both matches within an hour or so of each other.

I was always under the impression that cutting weight was one of the reasons behind the infamous third period fade, but now I don't believe it is at all.

Does anyone know what the Altons weight is off-season, when they're "fat and happy"?

Hour before weigh-ins compared to eight hour is like day and night, compared to day before is mid summer afternoon in Phoenix vs mid winter night in Fargo.

I love how people are surprised Alton is at 66kg and acting like it's a big cut for him. Remember with international weigh-ins, guys cut a lot of weight and compete just fine. Mike Zadick won a silver medal at the world championships at 60kg when he was probably weighing in the 160's.

I've cut hour-before and day before. It IS night and day. But cutting an extra 12 lbs is still a ton of weight. If you had issues at 157, cutting to 145 even the day before is brutal.

Regarding the third period fade, I was of the opinion that both brothers had it, one worse than the other.

Anyway, Zadick, Lightner, etc. are the exception, not the rule. Guys usually don't drop that much even with day before.

Anklepicker, who did you expect to win? I would've had my money on Russell anyway. Admittedly, Dylan did get hammered. But this post was more about the cut than wrestling skill.

I love how people are surprised Alton is at 66kg and acting like it's a big cut for him. Remember with international weigh-ins, guys cut a lot of weight and compete just fine. Mike Zadick won a silver medal at the world championships at 60kg when he was probably weighing in the 160's.

By the way, there was no way he was weighing in the 160s. Ask him next time you see him at an event. You're off by 15-20 lbs. He was a light 149, not really cutting much to make that weight in college.

By the way, there was no way he was weighing in the 160s. Ask him next time you see him at an event. You're off by 15-20 lbs. He was a light 149, not really cutting much to make that weight in college.

That was purely a guess on my part since I had always read he was a good size 149 and people always made it out like he cut a lot to get to 60kg so I just assumed he was probably close to 160.

Andrew was 149, Dylan was at 157- wasn't this post about Dylan?

Andrew was 149, Dylan was at 157- wasn't this post about Dylan?

Overall the topic is about Dylan but this particular post was in reference to Mike Zadick.