Katie

The Decision, Gable Edition

If he isn't forgoing the rest of his NCAA career for whatever his next move is, I don't see a scenario where he was ever going to do it. Dominated Taha and beat Geno in about the most dramatic fashion possible to win gold at the Olympics. 

1 minute ago, headshuck said:

Yeah let’s say he ends up being worth tens of millions of dollars at the end of his career, I think it’s probably a good use of talent.

I’m talking as a fan of athletics and wrestling. If he goes off and creates an app worth a billion dollars I’d be disappointed.

Having the best young wrestler in the world leave the sport after his first Olympics would be terrible. The fact that it is for something as stupid as WWE is salt in the wound. 

I’m talking as a fan of athletics and wrestling. If he goes off and creates an app worth a billion dollars I’d be disappointed.
Having the best young wrestler in the world leave the sport after his first Olympics would be terrible. The fact that it is for something as stupid as WWE is salt in the wound. 

I knew what you meant. I’m just giving you crap. It took me years to get over my tennis idol Bjorn Borg retiring too early.

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I knew what you meant. I’m just giving you crap. It took me years to get over my tennis idol Bjorn Borg retiring too early.

Yeah, and this would be like him retiring after his first French open title to go play in scripted paddle ball tournaments.

I also don’t get why we assume Gable will be a star in WWE. Who knows that the whims of the megalomaniac Vince McMahon will decide with him or what their fans actually want. Maybe if he gets seriously juiced up he will be popular. 

Cejudo went on to become arguably the greatest combat sports athlete ever.  Cael went on to building a resume that will put him as one of the greatest coaches ever (not just with NCAA titles, but look at what NLWC is doing at these olympics).  Incredible waste of talent.

I love this mentality that goes around that what someone does with their career is judged based on what complete strangers want them to do with their career.

I think with the new NLI agreement and also Gable signing with an MMA agent. I think he might wrestle one more cycle and one more year of college (to get his degree). I'm probably wrong... But one can hope. I mean if he wrestles through one more cycle he will only be 24 which is still younger than 70% of the Iowa team next year. 

1 minute ago, killdozer said:

I think with the new NLI agreement and also Gable signing with an MMA agent. I think he might wrestle one more cycle and one more year of college (to get his degree). I'm probably wrong... But one can hope. I mean if he wrestles through one more cycle he will only be 24 which is still younger than 70% of the Iowa team next year. 

the one less year between olympics will likely play a big part in alot of these guys decisions.

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Cejudo went on to become arguably the greatest combat sports athlete ever.  Cael went on to building a resume that will put him as one of the greatest coaches ever (not just with NCAA titles, but look at what NLWC is doing at these olympics).  Incredible waste of talent.

I love this mentality that goes around that what someone does with their career is judged based on what complete strangers want them to do with their career.

Cejudo didn’t start fighting until 2013. He also isn’t close to the greatest combat sport athlete ever. He won two weights in UFC that nobody cares about. Jon Jones, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Floyd Mayweather are all much better. Those guys have all had many marquee fights.

Cael would still be a great coach if he had wrestled another Olympic cycle. 

People with that type of talent are rare-and yes it is disappointing to see them stop competing so young. I would feel the same if Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps stopped competing after Beijing.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

Cejudo didn’t start fighting until 2013. He also isn’t close to the greatest combat sport athlete ever. He won two weights in UFC that nobody cares about. Jon Jones, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Floyd Mayweather are all much better. Those guys have all had many marquee fights.

I didn't say the greatest single boxer, or single MMA athlete ever. His high level accomplishments in more than one combat sport speak for themselves, and it does not matter when he started fighting, he still went on to do it.   Neither were a waste of talent in any measure what so ever, no matter how disappointed anyone is in what they chose to go after.   But carry on...

Gable would be a fool to continue his NCAA career.  In terms of money it's probably best for him to get into WWE next.  Train MMA on the side.  Build up a few million there before crossing over to UFC.  He could be the next Brock Lesnar.  If he can take a punch he could be the next Fedor.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I didn't say the greatest single boxer, or single MMA athlete ever. His high level accomplishments in more than one combat sport speak for themselves, and it does not matter when he started fighting, he still went on to do it.   Neither were a waste of talent in any measure what so ever, no matter how disappointed anyone is in what they chose to go after.   But carry on...

Many great wrestlers become great MMA fighters. The skills are correlated and one serves as a base for the other. If he had won Olympic gold in boxing and wrestling, two uncorrelated sports, I’d say you have a point. The whole “greatest combat athlete” thing was just a gimmick used to unsuccessfully sell PPVs. Nobody actually considers him to be at the level of the greats that I mentioned in my prior post, especially since wrestling is barely combat. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Gable would be a fool to continue his NCAA career.  In terms of money it's probably best for him to get into WWE next.  Train MMA on the side.  Build up a few million there before crossing over to UFC.  He could be the next Brock Lesnar.  If he can take a punch he could be the next Fedor.

Good point.  He could use WWE as a platform to secure big MMA contracts off the bat.

Hopefully he's getting good advice as to CTE.

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Many great wrestlers become great MMA fighters. The skills are correlated and one serves as a base for the other. If he had won Olympic gold in boxing and wrestling, two uncorrelated sports, I’d say you have a point. The whole “greatest combat athlete” thing was just a gimmick used to unsuccessfully sell PPVs. Nobody actually considers him to be at the level of the greats that I mentioned in my prior post, especially since wrestling is barely combat. 

Hmmmm.....you'll have to describe "everybody" a little more specifically.  Because in the common usage of the word, you are way off, the entire sentence.

Hey listen my man, you're entitled to your opinion.    They are a waste of talent and Gable, even though he is now an Olympic champion as well, could be an even bigger waste of talent.  Good as gold my friend.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Hmmmm.....you'll have to describe "everybody" a little more specifically.  Because in the common usage of the word, you are way off, the entire sentence.

Hey listen my man, you're entitled to your opinion.    They are a waste of talent and Gable, even though he is now an Olympic champion as well, could be an even bigger waste of talent.  Good as gold my friend.

How about don’t put words in my mouth? They aren’t a waste of talent. The fact that we only get to see them at one Olympics is the waste. What they accomplished when they competed is undeniable, but the wrestling world is worse off for them not continuing to compete. The whole point of the living the dream fund was to convince the next Cejudo and Cael to stick around.

By everybody I mean ask 100 random sports fans who the better combat athlete is: Henry Cejudo or Jon Jones..Henry Cejudo or Ali.  Nobody is going to say Cejudo. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

How about don’t put words in my mouth? They aren’t a waste of talent. The fact that we only get to see them at one Olympics is the waste. What they accomplished when they competed is undeniable, but the wrestling world is worse off for them not continuing to compete. The whole point of the living the dream fund was to convince the next Cejudo and Cael to stick around.

By everybody I mean ask 100 random sports fans who the better combat athlete is: Henry Cejudo or Jon Jones..Henry Cejudo or Ali.  Nobody is going to say Cejudo. 

Ummmm..."a bigger waste of talent than Cejudo and Cael"   How exactly am I putting words in your mouth???

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Ummmm..."a bigger waste of talent than Cejudo and Cael"   How exactly am I putting words in your mouth???

I’m sorry this is difficult to understand. Read the post again, but slower. The “waste” is the years that they did not compete. I never called any of the athletes a waste of talent. I have a ton of respect for all 3 and what they accomplished on the mat.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

I’m sorry this is difficult to understand. Read the post again, but slower. The “waste” is the years that they did not compete. I never called any of the athletes a waste of talent. 

gotcha.  enjoy.  

i'm not so sure its a guaranteed thing anymore.  $250k from living the dream and by far and away the BIGGEST name in collegiate wrestling right now.  maybe he does come back for one more year of NCAA.

depends on what the WWE is going to give him right out of the gate.  if its a big contract and big stage right away I think he's gone, but if they put him through the regional circuits and bring him up slowly I think he considers it.

20 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

And MMA has a prize fighting system. In prize fighting you always need to hype new fighters to keep the business going and ultimately hope someone becomes a box office celeb. Not looking good for Cujedo being remembered long term in that model.