Katie

The Decision, Gable Edition

With the name and likeness deals. He can still strike while the iron is hot and make money while in college. He could be on a wheaties box, Sign a shoe deal, do subway commercials, get sponsorships anywhere.

So the money difference may not be that big. He may make just as much money going back to school than he would sign with the WWE. Cause it is not like he going straight to wrestlemania. Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar didn't debut until 2 years after they signed and my guess it wasn't a Million dollars to wrestling in Ohio Valley Wrestling.

USA wrestling needs to make a deal with him to stick around one more cycle. Let's be honest Dake and Taylor are over 30 now. You want someone young to promote the sport. They kind of dropped the ball with Kyle after 2016. But I think Gable is more tailor made for the media now a days than Kyle was in 2016. (no offense to Kyle).

Edited by killdozer

Eggum seems to be taking the right approach on this. Letting the young man lead the way by giving him guidance. Said in his interview that Gable only has a short time to wrestle and once you step out that door it’s hard to come back. WWE will be there whenever he’s done. I’m hoping he at least wrestles through one more Olympics. Sure the WWE will bring him money and some fame but it’s shallow as a puddle. He could literally become the best USA wrestler of all time.  That’s about as deep as it gets. Legend status. 

Edited by AnklePicker

In the past, some athletes have simultaneously done international wrestling and MMA (e.g. Matt Lindland), although they were probably spreading themselves thin in terms of commitment.  

Is there any wrestler who has tried to simultaneously juggle international wrestling with WWE or a lower promotion?

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Eggum seems to be taking the right approach on this. Letting the young man lead the way by giving him guidance. Said in his interview that Gable only has a short time to wrestle and once you step out that door it’s hard to come back. WWE will be there whenever he’s done. I’m hoping he at least wrestles through one more Olympics. Sure the WWE will bring him money and some fame but it’s shallow as a puddle. He could literally become the best USA wrestler of all time.  That’s about as deep as it gets. Legend status. 

Not only is it shallow, but it’s toxic given the drug abuse required for success in WWE. I’m also skeptical of how popular he actually would become. Lesnar is pretty unique. 

Apparently some betting website has odds for Gable’s next move. I don’t super-duper understand how betting odds work, but here they are:  

• wrestle for Minnesota -150
  • wrestle a WWE match +100
  • fight a UFC fight +800
  • sign with an NFL team +2500

Of course, he has to announce by 8/15 whether he’s going to take the heavyweight spot at 2021 worlds in a few months. 

Edited by Katie

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

Apparently some betting website has odds for Gable’s next move. I don’t super-duper understand how betting odds work, but here they are:  

• wrestle for Minnesota -150
  • wrestle a WWE match +100
  • fight a UFC fight +800
  • sign with an NFL team +2500

Of course, he has to announce by 8/15 whether he’s going to take the heavyweight spot at 2021 worlds in a few months. 

Did he ever play football?

9 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Did he ever play football?

I think I read that he didn't play high school football.  I also don't know what positions his size makes him competitive for.  He is, however, a fairly big guy and a world-class athlete.

Edited by Katie

On 8/6/2021 at 10:23 AM, Billyhoyle said:

I’m talking as a fan of athletics and wrestling. If he goes off and creates an app worth a billion dollars I’d be disappointed.

Having the best young wrestler in the world leave the sport after his first Olympics would be terrible. The fact that it is for something as stupid as WWE is salt in the wound. 

Especially now when the stars can make decent money competing unlike 20 years ago. The WWE will be there in a few years. 

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

I think I read that he didn't play high school football.  I also don't know what positions his size makes him competitive for.  He is, however, a fairly big guy and a world-class athlete.

Actually he is not big enough, most likely, to play line in the NFL. I don't know if he is fast enough to play anything else. Stephen Neal, the archetype, was 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds. They say Gable is 6 foot, though I think he is an inch or two shorter.

Edited by NJDan

25 minutes ago, Katie said:

Wikipedia has Aaron Donald listed at 6'1" 284 and Steveson at 6'1" 260.

I am not saying he is in any way comparable to Aaron Donald in any other way than size, but at 6'1" he is clearly too short to play O line though he is large enough to play D line.

Speaking of football, Adam Coon is still on the Titans roster, though the first cut doesn't happen until August 17th.

August 17th - cut to 85 players
August 24th - cut to 80 players
August 31st - cut to 53 players

6 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Speaking of football, Adam Coon is still on the Titans roster, though the first cut doesn't happen until August 17th.

August 17th - cut to 85 players
August 24th - cut to 80 players
August 31st - cut to 53 players

Coon is bigger than GS. Also he was named all-state linebacker (2012) and two-time honorable mention offensive line (2010, '11); named 2013 All-Livingston County Defensive Player of the Year and four-time all-league offensive line and defensive line/linebacker. This should matter at least a little.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Wikipedia has Aaron Donald listed at 6'1" 284 and Steveson at 6'1" 260.

I am not saying he is in any way comparable to Aaron Donald in any other way than size, but at 6'1" he is clearly too short to play O line though he is large enough to play D line.

I'd be shocked if Steveson was six foot 1, don't think that's right but admittedly just a guess based on him always being noticeably shorter than his opponents.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Billyhoyle said:

If he really retires from the sport after this it would be an even bigger waste of talent than when Cejudo and Cael stopped wrestling. Especially if it’s so he can dance with a 50-year old Brock Lesnar. 

Waste? Those guys you mentioned may have won some more medals had they continued, but apparently they had some other talents/interests that they chose to explore. It has worked out well for them in a lot of ways and one really important way. 

I'd be shocked if Steveson was six foot 1, don't think that's right but admittedly just a guess based on him always being noticeably shorter than his opponents.
To be fair, Akgul is listed as 6' 4" and Geno 6' 6", so they will make a lot of opponents look small.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Gantry said:

My son was a 5'8" offensive lineman in high school, but when the game programs came out he was 6'0".

He was disappointed in the coaches because he felt now people might be tempted to prepare for him.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My son was a 5'8" offensive lineman in high school, but when the game programs came out he was 6'0".

He was disappointed in the coaches because he felt now people might be tempted to prepare for him.

Based on standing next to him, I see Gable as 5'11" or 5'10".  

6 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Waste? Those guys you mentioned may have won some more medals had they continued, but apparently they had some other talents/interests that they chose to explore. It has worked out well for them in a lot of ways and one really important way. 

Cejudo didn't even start doing MMA until 2013, and Cael would still be a great coach if had competed through his prime. These athletes only are at their peak for a short period of time, and the inability of USAW to retain the best wrestlers within the sport is a problem.  Imagine if Burroughs stopped wrestling after London, or Sadualev or Snyder stopped after Rio.  What if Saitiev never competed again after 88.  You don't think that would be a waste and a dissapointment? As a fan of baseball, I'm glad Juan Soto didn't retire after winning the world series in 2019.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

8 hours ago, Katie said:

Mike Alstott anyone??

Just now, Lurker said:

CTE wasn't a thing until the media got a hold of it 

(I'm kidding)

I don’t think fullbacks are a thing anymore either…

regardless…

food for thought for the hand wringers some concerned for gable’s head…

After a few minutes of looking at Twitter, here is some information that may shed light as to what Steveson's camp might be thinking (assuming they have any definite ideas at all, which they may not yet have):

• Reports are that Gable has already had "discussions" with WWE, the UFC, and some NFL teams.
  • Apparently, Gable will do some MMA training with Jon Jones.  No details on when.
  • Apparently, Cormier thinks Gable should go to the WWE first and earn a bunch of fans, and then start fighting in the UFC later, where he would be at the top of cards immediately, and get PPV money.  In Cormier's own words, Gable should take the "Brock Lesnar approach."

If Gable wants an automatic placement on the world team this October, he has to say so by Sunday, August 15 -- three days away. So, presumably, we should know by Sunday whether he intends to go to Oslo.

There's not a lot of wrestling news to discuss right now, so I suppose this Gable speculation will have to do. 

Edited by Katie