IronChef

I've had enough of John Smith on the mic

He occasionally provides some good insight from his vast experience about what the wrestlers are doing or tactical considerations. He has got to stop coaching the wrestlers as if he is in the corner, and he only seems to have about an 80% understanding of the rules. It is disappointing that Burroughs is only there for one session per day, as he is a good check on Smith's worst instincts and complaining about the officials. I think Smith could be good if he got some coaching and took it to heart, because has a ton of valuable knowledge. it would be great if he could present it in a better way. 

I look at it this way.  For people who are new and have no idea about wrestling, newer to the sport or just know folk, Uncle Johnny is putting some good info out there for people to understand what they need to do in order to win matches.

I totally agree about JB, though.  He's been amazing on the mic.

I agree that he needs to stop coaching from the booth. It becomes an amateurish production when he does that. The only reason we tolerate it is because we are diehard fans and he is a legend. If we were watching a different sport, it would be extremely annoying.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

I agree that he needs to stop coaching from the booth. It becomes an amateurish production when he does that. 

This is my main problem. If he changed nothing else but stopped doing this, I'd be happy.

Here's my take:
Probably 98% of the people watching wrestling KNOW wrestling or are fans.  It's nice to hear Smith indicate what they really should be doing, and we hear it, but we are all thinking it anyway. 

The other 2% are watching because of insomnia. 

My main problem with Smith he is doesn't understand criteria at all.  There were multiple times when he said something like "X would take the lead with a takedown here" when that was not in fact true.

I’m good with the coaching. I cringe a bit at how often he says the ref is wrong or implies incompetency.  Times when he might be right … but many times Smith was flat out wrong.  But casual folks that know who Smith is will assume he is right all the time.  If do assume that it makes the sport look very bad due to horrible officiating.

19 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Strong disagree. Only thing I would like John Smith to stop is breathing into the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he was whispering something into a hot mic when he did that. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I did not expect to get this much disagreement, and who am I to stand in the way of the will of the people? I think there are things he could do to improve, but if I'm the only one who wants that, then he should just keep doing what he's doing I guess.

Just now, IronChef said:

I did not expect to get this much disagreement, and who am I to stand in the way of the will of the people? I think there are things he could do to improve, but if I'm the only one who wants that, then he should just keep doing what he's doing I guess.

I get your point, but it's the same sorta reaction Bader gets: some folks love his insane enthusiasm; others question his professionalism. In any event, I agree w/ you. I've had enough of this dude. Enough of the color commentary, enough of the coaching, enough of the hero worship. Done with this dude.

3 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I get your point, but it's the same sorta reaction Bader gets: some folks love his insane enthusiasm; others question his professionalism. In any event, I agree w/ you. I've had enough of this dude. Enough of the color commentary, enough of the coaching, enough of the hero worship. Done with this dude.

mute your TV nancy

9 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Don’t just cave to popular opinion like that. Stand up for what you believe in. It’s a lesson we should all take from LJB’s stance on Greco.

4 minutes ago, Witherman said:

mute your TV nancy

Pick your slurs more carefully. Your point is that I'm a whiney little bitch. That's cool, but you are defending the consummate complainer. Why not, "Mute your TV, killjoy"?