IronChef

I've had enough of John Smith on the mic

When I have been listening to Smith and JB I have really appreciated their commentary because I have been watching most of the matches on the NBC live stream and the English guys they have commenting on that are horrible.  I usually just mute them.  I don't know why those streams have different commentators.

1 hour ago, rpm002 said:

My main problem with Smith he is doesn't understand criteria at all.  There were multiple times when he said something like "X would take the lead with a takedown here" when that was not in fact true.

38 minutes ago, nom said:

I’m good with the coaching. I cringe a bit at how often he says the ref is wrong or implies incompetency.  Times when he might be right … but many times Smith was flat out wrong.  But casual folks that know who Smith is will assume he is right all the time.  If do assume that it makes the sport look very bad due to horrible officiating.

these are the types of things that make me avoid his commentating at all costs...

when he did trials it was horrifying...

4 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

When I have been listening to Smith and JB I have really appreciated their commentary because I have been watching most of the matches on the NBC live stream and the English guys they have commenting on that are horrible.  I usually just mute them.  I don't know why those streams have different commentators.

they clearly know little to nothing about wrestling, but, they are at least "professional" commentators...

1 hour ago, rpm002 said:

My main problem with Smith he is doesn't understand criteria at all.  There were multiple times when he said something like "X would take the lead with a takedown here" when that was not in fact true.

Got news for you...unless you are a ref or an Olympic coach you WON'T know the criteria.

I for one cannot understand why they think a ref arbitrarily awarding points for "inactivity" when both are blocking is unreasonable. AT LEAST put someone down in par terre and make someone EARN a point.

Try reffing high school wrestling...they tweak the rules EVERY year. God knows what the come up with in international style.

I understand it’s different than very professional color commentary, but as a coach or wrestler, if I get to hear one of the best athletes and coaches in US history micced up saying exactly what he would in the corner of one of his guys, I’m counting blessings.

He could dial back his contempt for refs and whistles, though I think it is funny. He obviously loves wrestling so much that he viscerally despises anything which he sees as interfering with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I understand it’s different than very professional color commentary, but as a coach or wrestler, if I get to hear one of the best athletes and coaches in US history micced up saying exactly what he would in the corner of one of his guys, I’m counting blessings.

while i won't dispute this...

the only mental picture i get when he is commentating is him constantly yelling at the refs during a stall fest dual...

4 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Got news for you...unless you are a ref or an Olympic coach you WON'T know the criteria.

I for one cannot understand why they think a ref arbitrarily awarding points for "inactivity" when both are blocking is unreasonable. AT LEAST put someone down in par terre and make someone EARN a point.

Try reffing high school wrestling...they tweak the rules EVERY year. God knows what the come up with in international style.

tons of coaches don't know criteria either...

there are resources to find out the answers to all these questions...

if someone does not use those resources who is really at fault?

3 minutes ago, Crash said:

I like his technical commentary, but I am amazed how often he is wrong on calls and scoring.

According to a few officials I have talked to, knowing the rules has never been his strong point.  As an athlete or a coach.  He just always kinda did....what do they say....'you do you'

Not only do I love John Smith on the mic, but I think Terry Brands should be in every corner mic'ed up. After re-watching the Lee - Eierman final where you can here him saying things like "You have energy" when Eierman looks not to have energy, or "When I see a wrestler on the edge I know he's beat" is worth not having fans in the stands to drown him out. And don't get me started on how much I love "You don't like tough wrestling", "you are a bunch of politicians".

But really I just want more Jordan Burroughs.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

According to a few officials I have talked to, knowing the rules has never been his strong point.  As an athlete or a coach.  He just always kinda did....what do they say....'you do you'

he has gotten by on intimidation and extreme arrogance, which, is perfectly fine for the level of athlete he was...

it comes with some more pronounced negatives every where else...

I think pairing him with Burroughs, who is all over the rules and calls and has much more of a feel for media, is a really good mediating effect on some of the valid criticisms ITT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, LJB said:

he has gotten by on intimidation and extreme arrogance, which, is perfectly fine for the level of athlete he was...

it comes with some more pronounced negatives every where else...

I just agreed w/ LJB. Midsummer night's apocalypse.

29 minutes ago, LJB said:

while i won't dispute this...

the only mental picture i get when he is commentating is him constantly yelling at the refs during a stall fest dual...

... while we have to watch him force Jamal Parks to choose bottom, again.

I did notice Smith started coaching from the booth, but it was 2 extremely important matches for the history of American wrestling.  I was getting anxious and talking to my computer screen as well out of habit.  I like how Smith weaves in slivers of his personality as does JB.

I watch a pirated stream of the international English language broadcast. Mats A and B are just the sounds of the crowd and the match. Mat B are two English boobs who aren't enjoyable to listen to, but they don't sound like my uncle Hank with a fat lip of dip in his mouth.

I've enjoyed his commentary thus far - a nice mix of wrestling info for those not knowing wrestling and for the seasoned fan.

By nature, he's not very talkative or extroverted, but from what I've heard, he worked hard to prepare for this commentator role, and it shows.

As for his criticizing officials, I had to say that I've been mostly in agreement with him.  For example, in the Yepez vs. Islamova women's 50 kg opening round match, every time there was a flurry, the ref would stop the match and confer with the other officials before awarding points - the ref should have simply awarded the points and kept the action going!

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I get it.  As a high school folkstyle ref, I have been yelled at by an Olympic  medalist for not calling "fleeing the hold."

Edited by AHamilton

3 hours ago, headshuck said:

That’s not a word. :)

I didn't think so either but Google says:

of·fi·cious
  1. assertive of authority in an annoyingly domineering way, especially with regard to petty or trivial matters.
    "the security people were very officious"
    • intrusively enthusiastic in offering help or advice; interfering.
      "an officious bystander"
Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

2 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I didn't think so either by Google says:

of·fi·cious
  1. assertive of authority in an annoyingly domineering way, especially with regard to petty or trivial matters.
      "an officious bystander"

:26 second mark.  I learned this phrase as a young Buffalo Bills fan.  (I know... sad) 

The great Marv Levy has a Masters in English History from Harvard, so I always trusted his judgement as far as vocabulary.

8 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I didn't think so either but Google says:

of·fi·cious
      "an officious bystander"

Right, but "over-officious" is redundant