IronChef

I've had enough of John Smith on the mic

i feel like the british guys were for the international feed and NBC didn't really have a choice but idk. i think i heard one of them doing other sports as i was flipping around tokyo on the nbcsports app.

John is not the most articulate for sure.  But he makes up for that with his knowledge as you say.  I was not happy with his GR commentary when he completely blew a ref's call.  It was the right call but John did not think so.  It was obvious and I am not really a GR fan. 

That said, this was the best trio of commentators I have heard in such a production. 

'Nuff Said,

mspart

Smith is not a commentator. If you listen for what he is, a decorated wrestler and coach, it is good.  It is amazingly good when JB is there. The banter between the two is great, especially when they start addressing one and other by name and having a conversation. JB elevates the commentary 10 fold. 

John Smith's country drawl makes you feel like your at a bar watching wrestling with the legend himself. I don't need some Chris Fowler or Christian Pyles trying to precisely announce wrestling correctly, just someone who sounds like one of the boys and one of the best of all time to boot. I actually really enjoy listening to him get on the refs.