Jimmy Cinnabon

Why are the Japanese women so dominant?

I've gleaned from the British announcers on the live feed that their university club system is very competitive within prestigious schools. 

I expect to see our NCAA emerging sport promote the sport in similar ways, possibly in even better ways. I've seen the emerging sport of triathlon lure junior-level international students to USA - reps from other countries going to DII schools for an education. There aren't a lot of opportunities to study and practice your sport in the world. There is no equivalent to the NCAA in the world - university sport is simply not celebrated anywhere else like it is here. Add in that English is a common second language - I think we could have many world-level competitors in NCAA women's wrestling.

We still have ground to make up on Japan, but this could happen relatively quickly. 

13 minutes ago, denger said:

I've gleaned from the British announcers on the live feed that their university club system is very competitive within prestigious schools. 

That may be true but they said a lot of other stuff this week that was laughable and showed nearly no understanding of the sport so you might want another source to corroborate. 

48 minutes ago, denger said:

I expect to see our NCAA emerging sport promote the sport in similar ways, possibly in even better ways. I've seen the emerging sport of triathlon lure junior-level international students to USA - reps from other countries going to DII schools for an education. There aren't a lot of opportunities to study and practice your sport in the world. There is no equivalent to the NCAA in the world - university sport is simply not celebrated anywhere else like it is here. Add in that English is a common second language - I think we could have many world-level competitors in NCAA women's wrestling.

We still have ground to make up on Japan, but this could happen relatively quickly. 

We might be the only country where youth sports is primarily sponsored via school systems and not clubs. Canada might do it in college but HS age is clubs as I found out a couple years ago.

I’ve heard from a few of our Olympian women that they only started wrestling in high school. It’s just hasn’t caught on yet in the US (I think it’s getting there). I’d imagine the Japanese women have had many years of a head start in their training. I’m sure that makes a big difference.

Smith actually made a comment on this, pointing out that having observed their training sessions, the drilling is much more intensive than elsewhere.  Constant, nonstop drilling of moves, over and over and over.  Everyone drills, but he was saying how its another level of repetition and duration with them.

1 hour ago, Red95 said:

That may be true but they said a lot of other stuff this week that was laughable and showed nearly no understanding of the sport so you might want another source to corroborate. 

The best thing I heard them say all week was about Otoguro running in the last few seconds. In my best British accent, "Yea, Otagura is running, idn'ee. He jus gut on ees bike!"

They've been terrible. No understanding of positions or rules. It's been a terrible broadcasting product, for sure. Fortunately, I doubt many non-fans watched any of that inexplicable garbage, because if they did, they'd walk away thinking wresting is a BS sport. 

Edited by denger

5 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I’ve heard from a few of our Olympian women that they only started wrestling in high school. It’s just hasn’t caught on yet in the US (I think it’s getting there). I’d imagine the Japanese women have had many years of a head start in their training. I’m sure that makes a big difference.

Their culture embraces lots of combat sports. I think they and the Chinese saw an opportunity early on. As mentioned above, many in our USA wrestling culture tried to fight it for decades, regrettably. 

Given the few opportunities for women outside of those countries - I suspect this is what led to the rather aged list of qualified entries this Games. For example, at 76KG, 12 of the 16 are 29yrs+. Fortunately, the expanding opportunities for girls in the US will be led by some well-seasoned and accomplished women athletes, which is another thing setting us up well to close the gap.

18 minutes ago, denger said:

They've been terrible. No understanding of positions or rules. It's been a terrible broadcasting product, for sure. Fortunately, I doubt many non-fans watched any of that inexplicable garbage, because if they did, they'd walk away thinking wresting is a BS sport. 

Its so bad that it feels like a practical joke, like I'm being punked.  "The Azeri really laid on top of him out there and now appears to be trying to force his shoulders to the mat."  They literally know nothing and made zero effort to learn anything, and that's despite being the same boobs that worked the Rio games.

Someone should post back-to-back videos of their play-by-play of a match, immediately following a JB/Smith/Brooks play by play of the same match.  

Edited by BAC

51 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Check your DM's @Eagle26.  Looking forward to your new signature.

1 hour ago, denger said:

The best thing I heard them say all week was about Otoguro running in the last few seconds. In my best British accent, "Yea, Otagura is running, idn'ee. He jus gut on ees bike!"

I think the British guys are great, despite the fact that it sounds like they are watching wrestling for the first time these Olympics. It's comedic listening to them. I think they are actually good commentators. But it sounds like they were told they were covering wrestling 1 day before the Olympics started and have a bunch of Wikipedia tabs open in a browser trying to keep up. If I took a drink every time they say "ancient" I'd be sloshed. 

19 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

I think the British guys are great, despite the fact that it sounds like they are watching wrestling for the first time these Olympics. It's comedic listening to them. I think they are actually good commentators. But it sounds like they were told they were covering wrestling 1 day before the Olympics started and have a bunch of Wikipedia tabs open in a browser trying to keep up. If I took a drink every time they say "ancient" I'd be sloshed. 

Lol or “forearms”

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Its so bad that it feels like a practical joke, like I'm being punked.  "The Azeri really laid on top of him out there and now appears to be trying to force his shoulders to the mat."  They literally know nothing and made zero effort to learn anything, and that's despite being the same boobs that worked the Rio games.

Someone should post back-to-back videos of their play-by-play of a match, immediately following a JB/Smith/Brooks play by play of the same match.  

I've been watching on a pirated stream. While I ain't too keen on them I do prefer them over the homer play-by-plays you'll get on NBC. I remember in Rio the streaming platform had a feature to turn off commentary, but keep the matside sound on. I prefer that, but because I am getting it for free I try not to complain too much about it.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

They know what a double leg is kinda.  They have no idea what a gut wrench or a leg lace are, and don’t understand why mat wrestling happens.  

You can actually hear them wondering aloud about why referees and wrestlers did what they did.  “It is peculiar, that there, he didn’t really seem to want to attack anymore.”

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Did you guys do a signature bet?  lol

Yeah sorry guys…we just got free from Frank Rizzo’s reign of terror and now I went and handed this one to ShakaAloha lol

"If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask @ShakaAloha because he knows more than me."

1 hour ago, Return of Aztec said:

Yeah, I'm entertained as well. My gripe is that they can't explain what's happening. It only matters if someone as new to the sport as they manage to find them and watch. Listening to them, this sport just makes your arms tired and doesn't make any sense.

I'm not the most seasoned fan, which is one reason I hang out here - to find explanations from those who are. The other being that I don't have any friends who are fans and would want to discuss it. 

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Did you guys do a signature bet?  lol

Yes, it was for Japan-USA WFS gold medals.

14 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Yeah sorry guys…we just got free from Frank Rizzo’s reign of terror and now I went and handed this one to ShakaAloha lol

"If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask @ShakaAloha because he knows more than me."

@Eagle26 Mahalo for honoring our bet.  I'm going to enjoy your posts for the next 6 months lol!