Jimmy Cinnabon

Why are the Japanese women so dominant?

14 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Yes, it was for Japan-USA WFS gold medals.

@Eagle26 Mahalo for honoring our bet.  I'm going to enjoy your posts for the next 6 months lol!

lol

Well, if Susaki wins tomorrow morning when I'm watching, then I would have 5/6 correct. 

The only one I got wrong was 76kg because I thought Adeline would win, but Aline from Germany wrestled a Focken good match to take the gold.

Edited by CA_Wrestler
typo

4 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

China will continue to come on strong in women's freestyle, and their performance this year is none too shabby. One silver, one bronze, and one in the gold medal match today. 

China seems to have precision, conditioning and match strategy on their side. Those women have been impressive! 

Yeah I was confident that TMS and Adeline would win gold (obviously missed the latter) and then I just needed Helen or one other to pull through for the win or one Japanese woman to miss gold for a wash. But impressive performance by Japan and USA girls wrestled tough too.

Is there no way to actually add a signature? I can’t seem to figure that out.  @spladle08 did you really have to type or paste this the whole time? Lol

"If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask @ShakaAloha because he knows more than me."

Yeah I was confident that TMS and Adeline would win gold (obviously missed the latter) and then I just needed Helen or one other to pull through for the win or one Japanese woman to miss gold for a wash. But impressive performance by Japan and USA girls wrestled tough too.
Is there no way to actually add a signature? I can’t seem to figure that out.  @spladle08 did you really have to type or paste this the whole time? Lol
"If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask @ShakaAloha because he knows more than me."
Hahahaha are you using the Tapatalk app?

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:
2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Hahahaha are you using the Tapatalk app?

No. Should I be?

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I always assumed it was because of the popularity of Judo in Japan and its an easy transition to wrestling, especially when the competition pool is still a little shallow.

Wrestling is very popular in Iran, so you'd think it's an easy transition to wrestling there too. 

Also has to be said that, while I wouldnt  have expected it, Japan is one of the few countries that is pro-women’s wrestling rather than having immense cultural obstacles to women competing in combat sports or any sports for that matter.  

I think that is one if the major reasons.  That and they are very well funded, and the country has a deep tradition of training in related martial arts, which definitely overlays well on wrestling.

1 minute ago, denger said:

Wrestling is very popular in Iran, so you'd think it's an easy transition to wrestling there too. 

You’re forgetting about Islam.

They don’t compete as “Iran” or “Persia” they compete as IRI, the Islamic Republic of Iran.

32 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I always assumed it was because of the popularity of Judo in Japan and its an easy transition to wrestling, especially when the competition pool is still a little shallow.

When the Japanese Wrestling Federation first formed the Women's team, they recruited all from female judokas.  

12 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Also has to be said that, while I wouldnt  have expected it, Japan is one of the few countries that is pro-women’s wrestling rather than having immense cultural obstacles to women competing in combat sports or any sports for that matter.  

I think that is one if the major reasons.  That and they are very well funded, and the country has a deep tradition of training in related martial arts, which definitely overlays well on wrestling.

Cultures that value wrestling are pretty conservative, so gender barriers are thing for pretty much all of those, including us. I hear you on being a little surprised by this particular conservative culture and their celebration of women's success. It's also very common for women to be educated and hold some leadership positions in Japan. They certainly value their women kicking ass in sports!

17 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I think you guys are both right about Japan valuing combat sports and knowing how to facilitate athletes. 

I've been out of the sport for a couple decades, but 20 years ago it was very unusual and brave for a girl to wrestle. They had to compete against boys, which presented all kinds of problems physically, socially, and related to facilities, training partners, etc. It's been a long time coming, but I think USA has made some smart moves to get more people involved in our sport. Why we were this late to the game is obvious to me. While my troll job in mentioning Iran was a D+, it's also a poke in the ribs to all of us who stood in the way over the decades. 

As a HS kid in the '90s, I was firmly opposed to competing against girls. My coach would say, "She came here to wrestle. Wrestle like you always would", and I did. It wasn't until a girl joined our regional springtime club that I appreciated having a girl around. She wasn't there to make a statement. She was just putting the time in like the rest of us. And it helped that she wasn't trying to compete against us. 

Anyway, I think NCAA emerging status for Women's Freestyle Wrestling will be a game changer.