Jimmy Cinnabon

Crazy that Cassar is 2-0 lifetime against an Olympic HWT champ

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm on the firm belief that if Gable wins those two matches, or maybe even the last one, he doesn't jump levels like he has in the last 12-15 months.

Wake up call....

This...if you watch the Anatomy of a Fighter bit on Gable, he explicitly explains this.

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm on the firm belief that if Gable wins those two matches, or maybe even the last one, he doesn't jump levels like he has in the last 12-15 months.

Wake up call....

I agree.

But I also think Steveson is better at taking apart big heavyweights than small agile ones.  And I think he's better at scoring counter offense than creating his own.  Cassar basically played 6 minutes of defense and let Gable tire himself out trying to create offense, then Cassar scored outstanding offense of his own late in each match.  I think he'd still give Gable a close match, but I don't think he'd sniff a score because Gable doesn't wear down anymore.  If Gable sticks around, I'd give a smaller defensive heavy the only chance to beat him.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Haven't.....pretty good?

It was great...well in my opinion anyway.  Really get to see the human side of the athlete.  I said in another post, I found it interesting how he said if he isn't practicing or working out he completely forgets about wrestling.  I always had an impression that these level athlete's live, eat and breathe whatever sport they are involved in.  Anyway, definitely worth the ~30 minutes to watch.

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

LOL...that is right...I may have made a comment that he is closer than he actually is.

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Remember the threads 6 months ago that were stating that Kerk would beat Gable...

In all fairness Kerk had as many takedowns against gable as the entire Olympic field did (1) and I believe he was the only person to not get bonused by gable all year so you weren’t that off and that was a month removed from being septic and having blood poisoning 

If Gable decides another route. Will he ever be unseated as the greatest 1x NCAA Champ ever? 

Youthfulness arrogance, extreme circumstances, winning at the highest level, then off onto more lucrative pastures. All while being arguably the most talented Heavyweight in 20 years. 

IMO it’s not far fetched for him to be the greatest 1x champ for 30+ years and even then it’s gonna take some extreme circumstances to match the talent and dominance.

Greatest one time champ = not as great as any of the two time champs and not near as great as any three-time champs. 

He won gold. That's huge. That IS great. But if he wants to be called a great college wrestler he needs to do more. 

On 8/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, Lurker said:

Wake up call....

Eggum in his last few interviews about Gables success said that was a big turning point for Gable.  

Greatest one time champ = not as great as any of the two time champs and not near as great as any three-time champs. 
He won gold. That's huge. That IS great. But if he wants to be called a great college wrestler he needs to do more. 

Did any of those two or three time champs win Olympic Gold while still in college?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 8/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

In all fairness Kerk had as many takedowns against gable as the entire Olympic field did (1) and I believe he was the only person to not get bonused by gable all year so you weren’t that off and that was a month removed from being septic and having blood poisoning 

Someone said Kerk had a staph infection. Either way, what he was in December 2020 compared to March 2021 was two different versions. I expect him to look totally better this year.

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Did any of those two or three time champs win Olympic Gold while still in college?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

We were talking about greatest college wrestlers. Tho I guess the Hodge also puts GS on the list.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Someone said Kerk had a staph infection. Either way, what he was in December 2020 compared to March 2021 was two different versions. I expect him to look totally better this year.

Kerk posted himself a week or 2 ago when rby was posting pics of his infection that Kerk got staph but didn’t catch it until it spread to his blood stream and he got blood poisoning and became septic, he then lost 30 pounds ( he claims all of which was muscle) and was on bed rest for a long amount of time, and didn’t train at all that entire 3 months .. so when he wrestled Maryland he had practiced 1 time in 3 months 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:32 AM, NJDan said:

He only had 2 postseasons though.  Yes, as a true freshman he lost to a 5th year senior that went on a storybook run, but very high likelihood he would’ve won in 2020.  Hopefully he comes back for 2022.

Bruce Baumgartner was a 1 time ncaa champ and has 2 Olympic golds and 3 world championship golds to go along with 2 more Olympic medals and 3 more world championship medals ...so I would say gable still has a ways to go to catch him

fun fact Baumgartner never won a N.J. state title in high school..he only placed once ....3rd his senior year behind the late Paul Finn

Edited by Antitroll2828

I like Cassar but his wins over Gable were 2 years ago.  So much has changed since then.  People improve.  Sorry, but this is about as dumb as saying Frank Molinaro is a better wrestler than Jordan Burroughs because he beat JB in the NJ state finals when JB was a junior in HS. 

24 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I like Cassar but his wins over Gable were 2 years ago.  So much has changed since then.  People improve.  Sorry, but this is about as dumb as saying Frank Molinaro is a better wrestler than Jordan Burroughs because he beat JB in the NJ state finals when JB was a junior in HS. 

Or we could say that Bubba Jenkins pinned an Olympic champion.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Correct that things have greatly changed although the comparison to Burroughs and Molinaro is a little extreme.  

Burroughs wasn't a legend or even known nationally when he lost to Molinaro. Cassar got significant cache from beating Gable who had three age group world championships and was as heralded a recruit as anyone we've seen.  

Gable was a big time guy when Cassar beat him in the two biggest college tournaments. So it's not as obvious that these don't mean much today

But I agree with you, I think they don't mean much and that Cassar wouldn't win more than once if they wrestled 10 times and maybe not even that.  

Gable is so much better now.  He is in way, way, way better shape, which was the main issue against Cassar.  Plus mentally it's night and day.  Cassar was literally a grown man and Gable was literally a kid.  Those matches were strictly about maturity.  While there was a basis for concern about whether Gable would grow, he's clearly put that to rest with many big wins since then.

Props to Cassar on an inspiring and consequential run but those wins aren't very relevant in forecasting 2021+ prospects.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:59 PM, Fletcher said:

1. Freestyle and folkstyle are different sports. 2. Most wrestlers get better from frosh to junior year in college. Good effort at trolling though.

Especially considering that Gable is very young for his grade.  He was 18 at NCAAs as a freshman. Half the time freshman today are 21.