scribe

Dake at 74 or 79 in 21/22/23? Pros and Cons

Pros at 74? Bye to the best of finals at Trials

Cons at 74? Maybe not his ideal weight anymore.

Pros at 79? Maybe his best weight. Better shot at multiple world titles

Cons at 79? Not an olympic weight.

If he wrestles at worlds this year, he skips the WTT trials and is a guaranteed member of the team at 74 kg, so I'd guess that's his weight. We could see Burroughs at 79.

All of our freestyle reps in Tokyo have their world team slots locked up by virtue of medaling.

Edited by Jrr277

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Any chance he retires?

How crazy would that be. Dake and DT were the young guns coming up and after the living legend JB, now there’s a chance both retire before him?

He did that bonkers interview where he basically says aging can be managed. With his mindset that I know, he won't retire until his body quits on him.

I would be shocked if he went anywhere other than 74kg for worlds in October. Any other weight he would have to participate in trials in a few weeks and he already shrunk his body down to 74kg. And you know he has unfinished business with the bronze medal and that performance in the quarters. Plus the clock is ticking for him regardless of the reverse aging b.s. - so is going to want to increase that medal haul to cement his legacy. After that, who knows - but he has no lack of confidence so my guess is he stays at 74 with an eye on the 2024 Olympics until someone is able to dethrone him.

I think he goes 74. Dake has never backed down from a challenge, and I don't see him starting now. He started as a true freshman at Cornell. He moved up to take on the Hodge winner. He kept nipping at JB's heels. He did move up to 79 remove the bench splinters out of his ass and get some play time (how else can you improve?), but he moved back down when it mattered most to eventually defeat his nemesis. 

He will never be John Smith or Big Bruce, but with an Olympic medal at a very tough weight (I think the toughest this year), who doesn't consider him a legitimate world champion now? I doubt adding titles is the dominant consideration now. I think he wants to prove he wrestled a dumb match and he can beat the best. Which weight he'll go for 2024 if he decides to do one more cycle is the question for me.

He's stayed at the top of the heap in the US for this long, having pushed back guys like Dieringer, Valencia, and finally Burroughs.  

So unless he's lost the desire to compete, which doesn't appear to be the case, I'm thinking he'll stay as long as his body holds up and he keeps winning.

I would far prefer to see him at 79, and Burroughs at 74.  To my eyes, Dake just isn't as stout and powerful at 74.  

That said, worlds are around the corner and it takes time to bulk back up. so I think he goes 74 this time around. 

3 minutes ago, BAC said:

I would far prefer to see him at 79, and Burroughs at 74.  To my eyes, Dake just isn't as stout and powerful at 74.  

That said, worlds are around the corner and it takes time to bulk back up. so I think he goes 74 this time around. 

Plus he’s in for free at 74. I’d imagine he’d have to wrestle off for 79, right? I think one of them will go up to 79 and one will stay down at 74 for next year (sure hope so), but I’m not sure who will be where?

7 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Plus he’s in for free at 74. I’d imagine he’d have to wrestle off for 79, right? I think one of them will go up to 79 and one will stay down at 74 for next year (sure hope so), but I’m not sure who will be where?

Yep. Why on earth would he go up 11lbs to then fight through a list of stiff competition domestically against guys who have been training 11lbs bigger.

I could see Dake going 79 in '22, maybe even '23. 

According to a USA Wrestling press release, “Any 2020 Tokyo Olympic Medalist, if competing at the same weight, will receive the automatic selection to the 2021 World Team at the same weight. The Olympic medalist must declare their intent by August 15." 

Based on that, it seems that Dake would benefit from competing at 74kg at 2021 Worlds because nobody else will be able to compete for the spot.

Incidentally, if Dake decides to take the 74kg spot, will his fans spend years howling about the cosmic injustice of it all?  IIRC, many of them spent a lot of time complaining about previous WTT procedures.

Well, he didn't look good in the preliminaries, either bout, especially his last one.  But his repechage and bronze medal match were more like Dake.  I'm not sure what the difference was but he was much sharper and more focused.  He got the bronze at 74.  Why would he choose to go to a non-olympic weight now.  Make JB go there.  Which it appears is the plan.

mspart

7 hours ago, BAC said:

Dake has finally gotten the buy to the finals thing on his side, and I suspect he’s going to keep it that way as long as possible.  He is a lock for bronzes at least all the way to 2024, and that keeps him awfully competitive.  Without evolving some better low level attacks and snapdowns he may never get gold at 74, but the spot is really still his.  I don’t think JB has a full training cycle and a long road back through a big bracket in him anymore.  Not as a snub, but he’s clearly getting beat up, hence his legs, arms and back being 1/2 the size they usually are at trials.  

I personally hope he stays on as an announcer.  US wrestling needs a commanding charismatic voice, and he is absolutely that.  JB is more than a wrestler, he’s a leader, and I hope he recognizes that he is more than just a competitor on the mat.

22 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Where have you been hiding for the last year or so?

Watching professional cycling. The whole pandemic thing. I didn’t even know anyone was wrestling. Pretty much surviving and curious about the Olympics. Just now figured out they managing worlds this year, which I think will be exciting so soon after the Olympics. 

Dake already has the spot at Worlds for 74.  The next Olympics are only 3 years away (as opposed to 4).  I can see him wrestling some international tournaments at 79, but he is going to try to keep his spot at 74 for the 2022 and 2023 Worlds. 

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

I thought world's are only contested at non Olympic weights and Olympians are ineligible.  Did that change?

Dake said he is chasing Burroughs and I think JB  goes up.

No, wrong on both.