Katie

Should Burroughs train with Chamizo now?

If JB is moving to 79kg, doesn’t it make sense for him to train with Chamizo? I bet they could learn a lot from each other. And they will now be only a short train ride from one another (Philly to NYC).  I think it could make a lot of sense. As they say, iron sharpens iron. 

Edited by Katie

On the one hand it makes all the sense in the world yet at the same time he didn’t need any of that to become JB in the first place so who’s to say what’s going to make the difference. 

Separate question: why precisely does JB have to go 79kg. Is there really no selection process for 74kg?

5 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

On the one hand it makes all the sense in the world yet at the same time he didn’t need any of that to become JB in the first place so who’s to say what’s going to make the difference. 

Separate question: why precisely does JB have to go 79kg. Is there really no selection process for 74kg?

Olympic medalists get an auto-spot for 2021 worlds in a few months if they remain at the Olympic weight. So Gilman, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, and Gable are all automatically on the team if they choose to stay at the same weight. If they go a non-only weight then they are in either the semis or finals (I can’t remember which)

Edited by bnwtwg
My phone thinks “Snyder” is spelled wrong

13 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Why in the world would you go to NYC instead of State College if you’re looking for training partners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely an option, too.  NLWC offers a lot.

There is a bit of a difference in that the drive to State College is 3.5 hours, while the train to NYC is 1.25 hours -- a difference of 4.5 hours round trip.

Anyway, JB has a few more options now.

Edited by Katie

27 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Why in the world would you go to NYC instead of State College if you’re looking for training partners?

Because Abdurakhmonov, Gomez, and Nolf don't offer much? Call it a hunch but I very highly doubt Chamizo is interested in a revival of faith that Carl's team is well known for. And JB doesn't need State College as much as State College needs JB.

Edited by bnwtwg

48 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Because Abdurakhmonov, Gomez, and Nolf don't offer much? Call it a hunch but I very highly doubt Chamizo is interested in a revival of faith that Carl's team is well known for. And JB doesn't need State College as much as State College needs JB.

State College appears to be doing just fine for itself at the moment lol. 

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Chamizo is probably going to go 79 if he goes to Oslo. Or might really get into the NYC nightlife to ease the pain and give 86 a shot?

Chamizo is not a big 74.  He was 65 last quad.  If he is at 79 or 86 for Oslo, he got REALLY fat.

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Why exactly does State College need JB? 

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I do believe you are vastly over and underestimating the respective parties in this scenario. NLWC is the best room in the country right now, but they build a specific wrestler.  If you think collar tie wrist —> ankle pick will set you free, that’s the place for you.  Notice how gilman and snyder both picked the state college club up pretty nicely.

More realistically speaking, it depends which weight JB wants to go.  If he’s staying 74, he’s going to be out of luck, NLWC is for 86 and 97kg guys, NLWC has a terrible track record against dake at 74kg.

If either of those dudes want to win anything again, they need to go full rocky III and move to dagestan for a few months.

Remember Jordan Oliver joined NYRTC so he would get Chamizo and JO as partners and input from Kendall Cross if he did some training there. Sure some of the NJRTC guys like Nate Jackson would be around now that they merged. Some real wrestling brilliance could come out of that.