Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Petriashvili and The Agony of Defeat

All credit to Gable, he earned it and I’m glad he won. But I feel for Geno. To get taken down twice in the last fifteen seconds is a brutal way to lose. Especially at heavyweight where everything just happens more slowly. He did what he needed to turn the match back in his favor, had it in his hands and probably should have won.

My wife told me about a recent study where the researchers found that bronze medalists were happier with their achievement than the silver medalists.

I don’t how you can accurately measure or quantify such a thing, but the conclusion makes a lot of sense to me. To get denied when you are so close to gold has to be a sort of mental torture. At least with bronze you go out with a win and you have some level of redemption.

For Geno this will probably be one of those moments that always haunts you. Like Bill Buckner in 86 or when Terry Brands lost to Cross at the Olympic trials.

He has got to be rerunning those last 15 seconds in his head over and over right now. I feel for the guy.

Edited by BuckyBadger

5 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

My wife told me about a recent study where the researchers found that bronze medalists were happier with their achievement than the silver medalists.

Not sure I need to read a study to know that.  Just look at the podium of a medal ceremony.  The bronze medalists look like they're tripping on molly at a rave somewhere, and the silver medalist looks like someone just shot his dog.

That said, Geno was all class.  Sucked it up, both after the whistle and at the ceremony.  Respect.

Edited by BAC

19 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

All credit to Gable, he earned it and I’m glad he won. But I feel for Geno. To get taken down twice in the last fifteen seconds is a brutal way to lose. Especially at heavyweight where everything just happens more slowly. He did what he needed to turn the match back in his favor, had it in his hands and probably should have won.

I don’t how you can accurately measure or quantify such a thing, but the conclusion makes a lot of sense to me. To get denied when you are so close to gold has to be a sort of mental torture. At least with bronze you go out with a win and you have some level of redemption.

For Geno this will probably be one of those moments that always haunts you. Like Bill Buckner in 86 or when Terry Brands lost to Cross at the Olympic trials.

He has got to be rerunning those last 15 seconds in his head over and over right now. I feel for the guy.

Seinfeld has a bit on that as well.  I think he says you get Bronze at least you got a medal, but for Silver "of all the losers, you were first."

20 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Behavioral economists have studied these effects (loss aversion). In humans the sense of lose is greater than the sense of gain. Put another way, losing $10 hurts more than winning $10 feels good. 

I think people who get the silver probably feel like they lost the gold (their alternative outcome) while the bronze medalist feels like they won the bronze (no medal being the presumptive alternative outcome).

Random side note:  Did you notice how the silver medal podium is on the same height as the bronze podium at this Olympics, with only the gold being elevated?  Didn't they used to elevate the silver podium so it was at least above bronze?  Dang, at least throw the silver medalist that one little bone.

5 minutes ago, BAC said:

Random side note:  Did you notice how the silver medal podium is on the same height as the bronze podium at this Olympics, with only the gold being elevated?  Didn't they used to elevate the silver podium so it was at least above bronze?  Dang, at least throw the silver medalist that one little bone.

I noticed that as well.

i can't believe GEO didn't get on his bike. no way Gable should have had a chance at that last takedown. refs spent the entire tournament not calling that foul. Props to Steveson for such a great tournament and wrestling to the literal last second.

9 minutes ago, BAC said:

I noticed the same thing. Same with the flags. They really should raise silver above bronze in these situations. 

6 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i can't believe GEO didn't get on his bike. no way Gable should have had a chance at that last takedown. refs spent the entire tournament not calling that foul. Props to Steveson for such a great tournament and wrestling to the literal last second.

One of the most crazy decision making I have ever seen. Going for a TD when u are in the lead with 13 seconds not once but twice. His coach must have been livid. Just circle man. Madness

59 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

I felt for Geno watching the medal ceremony...you could tell the guy was absolutely heartbroken. With that being said, I still cannot believe how that match ended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

One of the most crazy decision making I have ever seen. Going for a TD when u are in the lead with 13 seconds not once but twice. His coach must have been livid. Just circle man. Madness

Mental breakdown. I guess being in the Olympic finals does that to you.

49 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

Seinfeld has a bit on that as well.  I think he says you get Bronze at least you got a medal, but for Silver "of all the losers, you were first."

Yeah, another take on it though, and I think it’s pretty relevant to the process of getting the medals, is with silver you were one away, and it was your most recent match.  They’ve just started the grieving process.  

For bronze, you had to grieve your lost gold already, and you have successfully overcome it to make positive steps towards another, albeit less impressive, goal.  Then that medal will represent your victory in the face of adversity.  The silver will always be your almost.

This is unique to bracket-based sports.

For other sports like track, you were just so close, and you are looking at front of the pack, oftentimes thinking about what you could’ve done.

For Bronze in that event, you just got a table before the kitchen closes, and you’re happy to order whatever they’ll bring out.

Also matters who you lose to and how.  Geno was close, so that will hurt.  If you get torched and know you didn’t realistically have a shot, it’s a different experience.  There’s a reason nobody who lost to snyder or sadulaev threw a fit.  They knew what was up, and they knew they couldn’t match it.

Edited by Drew87

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Taha looked fairly jovial.

The medal ceremony was very interesting. Gable was nothing but smiles and you couldn't help but feel for Geno.

Then Taha comes over with a smile on his face that basically says "Hey, we are all medalists. Why be sad? Let's go find some drinks and some girls!"

16 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Also matters who you lose to and how.  Geno was close, so that will hurt.  If you get torched and know you didn’t realistically have a shot, it’s a different experience.  There’s a reason nobody who lost to snyder or sadulaev threw a fit.  They knew what was up, and they knew they couldn’t match it.

Exactly, it’s not that getting silver is always a worse feeling than bronze. It’s losing in a way when you had gold at your fingertips. It just messes with you in such a torturous way.

Edited by BuckyBadger

There is no excuse for him to give up the second to last takedown so easily. Why shoot on the whistle with a three point lead? Of course, the referee blowing the whistle so fast after that takedown just because Gable wanted him to was insane. I've never seen anything like it.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Same deal when they raised the flags. 

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

Hildebrandt made the same mistake in the Women's 50kg. Hard to understand the thought process.

My take … Geno shot because he had done it just before and his length is long … allowing him to grab a leg and just hold on as seconds passed. It was quite effective.  He was going to do it again.  Burn off another 10 seconds.  However, he didn’t lock around a leg this time and bam.  

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Not only that, but the Bronze Medal platform is twice as big to accomodate two "winners". 

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

He wasn't going for a takedown either time.  On the first one, he was diving in to hang onto a leg to run the time out. He was just succesful doing that in the "exchange" prior, and that position had been stalemated previously in the match.  On the second one, he wasn't given a chance to go anywhere.  Gable was on him right at the whistle and moving constantly in different directions the entire 6.5 seconds.  Geno had zero options but to react, and he ran out of reactions. 

Edited by Lurker

6 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

I guess you answered it yourself but it generally depends on the result of your last match (Adeline aside)

Look at the NCAA or other USA podium. The odd side is happier than the even side.

6 hours ago, BAC said:

Not sure I need to read a study to know that.  Just look at the podium of a medal ceremony.  The bronze medalists look like they're tripping on molly at a rave somewhere, and the silver medalist looks like someone just shot his dog.

That said, Geno was all class.  Sucked it up, both after the whistle and at the ceremony.  Respect.

Geno was all class, although on the Olympic Channel tonight I watched short clips of results including interviews with medalists in all the events ....they interviewed the 125kg medalist and everyone was interviewed but Gino.....I have the feeling he wasn't excited about being interviewed.