Lunaticfringe

Corruption at 65 KG?

I have to think someone else thought in the Valdes vs Niyazbekov match that it’s possible? Valdes close to the tech and wrestling well and the out of nowhere 4 minutes in literally dies and gets teched on several easy takedowns. When I say easy he basically dropped to his knees and let him go behind. It wasn’t some kind of crazy Thomas Gilman or Yianni type pace either. 

How much would you think he got paid off?

I have to think someone else thought in the Valdes vs Niyazbekov match that it’s possible? Valdes close to the tech and wrestling well and the out of nowhere 4 minutes in literally dies and gets teched on several easy takedowns. When I say easy he basically dropped to his knees and let him go behind. It wasn’t some kind of crazy Thomas Gilman or Yianni type pace either. 

How much would you think he got paid off?
2 tickets to Hamilton preformed by the Dawson Highschool Players in Georgia....

I have no idea, but if you are going to throw a match, that's not the way to do it. You'd want to be behind the whole way or just a bit ahead and lose late in what seemed like an honest effort. Why would you collapse and embarrass yourself?

Was watching with my father and we just kept looking at each other.  Nothing really said during the match, just kept looking at each other.  After the match I finally said, "well.....something not straight there"  To which he simply replied.  "Nope".

Not a doubt in my mind.  And the reason for the early domination and then folding, and the above poster is right...he didn't gas and couldn't go, he wasn't even trying to defend those takedowns.  His opponent even knew it as well.  You could see in the body language....but the reason is the athlete at least proves to themselves they were the better wrestler, and then complete their obligation for whatever it is for.  (It certain parts of the world, it's not always about cash in an envelope)  Not a doubt in my mind.

it wasn't thrown. you could see the meltdown coming. and if the ref awards the lace/gut (i forget which it was) (and he very well could have) the match is over. 

i'm all in on there being shenanigans, but this wasn't it. 

To expand a tad, what percent of all matches do you think have a handshake behind them?

I believe a portion of cuban matches, as well as literally every match where a dagestani not representing russia wrestles one representing russia.  Messrs Sharifov and kadzimahamedov i’m looking at you.

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

it wasn't thrown. you could see the meltdown coming. and if the ref awards the lace/gut (i forget which it was) (and he very well could have) the match is over. 

i'm all in on there being shenanigans, but this wasn't it. 

You have a mind like a steel trap for match memory, do any others come to mind?

lol - idk if you're sincere or poking me but...

i've heard from people on the ground that there was some shady stuff going on with Armenia and RUS reps prior to the Aleksanyan vs Evloev final.

but idk. the match unraveled after the leg foul + aleksanyan was visibly hurt in semi's + he had some quotes saying, essentially, that the russians influenced the refs.

of course that could all be part of the play. who knows. 

Otoguro was my pick for the weight but messaged my buddy before the start and said,

"Keep an eye on Tobier, I feel like nobody is giving him a chance this year and he may go straight to the finals".

He messaged me back and said "man he really is looking sharp, you think he can beat Aliyev?"

"100%, dude is a savage"..... I replied....

The jinx was locked in....

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i've heard from people on the ground that there was some shady stuff going on with Armenia and RUS reps prior to the Aleksanyan vs Evloev final.

but idk. the match unraveled after the leg foul + aleksanyan was visibly hurt in semi's + he had some quotes saying, essentially, that the russians influenced the refs.

Sorry my dude I’m being sincere, I could have made it more clear.

That Leg foul was Booty...
(Although the Greco community seemed split on it)

My non-greco expertise says: ROC tomfoolery

Leg foul call was right call.  It was very very close, and a reason it wasn't called in real time but on replay, but it was the right call.
@LJB swooped in and said "it wasn't a bad call per se" and then some other stuff....
:)

I took that as: spladle08 was right, it was a terrible call that was influenced by the Russians, and although very knowledgeable, the rest of you guys missed on this one...

Thats just my interpretation.

8 hours ago, Crash said:

Opinion noted and rejected. 

Nah it’s time. Zain hosed the US by not getting it done on two world teams and the Pan Ams, but it’s over. Next quad has begun and it’s time to focus on 2021 worlds.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Nah it’s time. Zain hosed the US by not getting it done on two world teams and the Pan Ams, but it’s over. Next quad has begun and it’s time to focus on 2021 worlds.

I think we are also done seeing the zain train.  65kg is too low a weight for him, that aside, we have nobody who can realistically compete for anything meaningful at 65kg.  It is the deepest weight in the world and most technically sound.  It is our weakest weight by far.

4 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I think we are also done seeing the zain train.  65kg is too low a weight for him, that aside, we have nobody who can realistically compete for anything meaningful at 65kg.  It is the deepest weight in the world and most technically sound.  It is our weakest weight by far.

If he's not there already, Yianni will be a power down the road.

18 minutes ago, RED said:

If he's not there already, Yianni will be a power down the road.

6 months ago, I would have agreed. But it appears he has regressed significantly. It’s a shame because he was my favorite to watch at the weight. Maybe a change of scenery to NLWC would help. Ithaca is good, but clearly a level below NLWC.

I know they have Nick Lee, but one thing I love about NLWC is they don’t reserve spots for their former undergrad athletes and go more for the survival of the fittest approach that used to be the MO of Gable’s HWC. If guys like Mark Hall, Bo Nickal, and Nico aren’t getting the job done, better athletes are brought in to utilize their outstanding coaching/training environment.

Edited by Billyhoyle