Yes, coverage was surprisingly outstanding. Got to DVR all the sessions. Still going through the tournament.

Thank you NBC for excellent wrestling coverage on the Olympic Channel!  

Also loved having Jordan Burroughs and John Smith on the broadcast. (Yes, I get some of the criticisms of Smith's play-by-play - always coaching the match - but I loved hearing his technical analysis. Besides that, at least Smith stayed super focused on the match in front him, and didn't tell irrelevant stories while disregarding live action like so many other play-by-play guys do. As far as Burroughs and I might be wrong here, but I think he would be even better and smoother without any notes. He knows his stuff off the top of his head. And JB looks great on TV. All that head banging and wrestling wars over the years and he's still a very handsome man. Agree with many others here, hope to see JB on many broadcasts in the future, when he's not wrestling of course.)   

I need to gripe about primetime coverage for non-cable subscribers. 

This was our most successful Olympic performance in decades, and they only put a few edited minutes of wrestling in front of the whole country. 

I have no idea if anyone still watches the Olympics without cable or other internet services, but if they do, then they only saw Taylor's last takedown, Steveson's last two, hopefully some highlights of Tamyra. 

Evidently, NBC thinks that we'd rather watch a hundred Americans lose races on primetime than see 9 out of 15 wrestlers medal. For comparison: Athletics sent 158 athletes to win 26 medals in 22 events (47 of 48 events have been contested, still waiting on Men's Marathon). I think this abysmal primetime coverage is still a problem - NBC is perpetuating the popularity of a few sports and has missed out on leading viewers to the breadth of Olympic sport.

But, yeah, I'm glad I could do a free Fubo trial and watch everything that I wanted to on my broadband connection. For me, this Games was easier to access than any time since 2008, when I could access live streams without a paywall with my on-campus internet connection. 

In addition to all of the positive comments above, you have to give serious props to studio host Carolyn Manno.  She was well prepared for each session, never asked the 'stupid' questions/comments that we typically expect from individuals (British commentators on the streaming coverage) who are not from the wrestling community.  Not sure if she has been around the sport in the past, but all of the dialogue in the studio was relevant and on point.  She and JB worked well together.

17 hours ago, denger said:

This was our most successful Olympic performance in decades, and they only put a few edited minutes of wrestling in front of the whole country. 

I have no idea if anyone still watches the Olympics without cable or other internet services, but if they do, then they only saw Taylor's last takedown, Steveson's last two, hopefully some highlights of Tamyra. 

Evidently, NBC thinks that we'd rather watch a hundred Americans lose races on primetime than see 9 out of 15 wrestlers medal. For comparison: Athletics sent 158 athletes to win 26 medals in 22 events (47 of 48 events have been contested, still waiting on Men's Marathon). I think this abysmal primetime coverage is still a problem - NBC is perpetuating the popularity of a few sports and has missed out on leading viewers to the breadth of Olympic sport.

But, yeah, I'm glad I could do a free Fubo trial and watch everything that I wanted to on my broadband connection. For me, this Games was easier to access than any time since 2008, when I could access live streams without a paywall with my on-campus internet connection. 

This.  I thought the coverage on Olympic Channel was well done, but thought their performance was worthy of some more primetime airtime.   

I get that people are more interested in swimming, gymnastics and track but for swimming and track in particular, I doubt many people care all that much about the qualifying heats.    In track they also seemed to spend a ton of time introducing people.

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This.  I thought the coverage on Olympic Channel was well done, but thought their performance was worthy of some more primetime airtime.   

I get that people are more interested in swimming, gymnastics and track but for swimming and track in particular, I doubt many people care all that much about the qualifying heats.    In track they also seemed to spend a ton of time introducing people.

Races are easy to show, easy to understand, easy to watch without knowing anything, and also easy to predict. Take the Italian 100m champ - they described his as a "dark horse...nobody expected", but he came in with the 8th best qualifying time and was a reigning Euro champ in indoor 60m, recording the best time in the world in 2021. There was much more evidence to predict him to reach the final than Kadzimahamedau at 74. 

Now imagine introducing Kyle Dake, then putting his 1/4 final on primetime...even though he ended up pulled back into repachage, that would seem like a bad broadcasting decision. 

All that to say, I understand the challenges, but especially given the 11hr delay, they could definitely highlight the wrestlers who succeeded more than the 90 seconds of edited pivotal points of their Gold medal matches. It's a huge disparity compared to the time they spent on the bios, prelims, etc. of Americans who underperformed in Athletics, and no where near the coverage deserved for our Gold medalists. And that coverage matters - Those introductions set up endorsements and have real financial ramifications. The folks they built up end up in mainstream commercials too, which would continue to put mainstream eyes on our sport for the following year or so. Nobody cares about swimming and track until the Olympics, but Americans will recognize those elite athletes, and they won't recognize wrestlers. 

Gable and Tamyra got some good interview coverage in some mainstream talk shows, so at least they didn't totally shun us, but it's still incredibly uneven. 

On 8/7/2021 at 2:02 PM, denger said:

I'm not positive, because I have the Olympic Channel which covered most of the wrestling/all 3 styles, but I think it was available on Peacock, which I have used before, and it was good...I'm thinking it was available for the 2021 Games.

3 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'm not positive, because I have the Olympic Channel which covered most of the wrestling/all 3 styles, but I think it was available on Peacock, which I have used before, and it was good...I'm thinking it was available for the 2021 Games.

I don't think Peacock's free version had the Olympic Channel. I shopped around quite a bit a couple weeks ago trying to figure this out, and ended up on Fubo instead, where I could access all the NBC Sports content. If it was available for free, then part of my gripe is unwarranted. My extended gripe that NBC standard primetime spent a lot of time on the bios of those competing in Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, etc., which sets up a disparity of opportunities regarding mainstream exposure to elite athletes and other sports, still stands. 

Of course, my complaint assumes that people watch TV the 20th century way, and that mainstream viewers care at least a little about sports that aren't races. 

9 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Zero Gripes here. We're all pursuing excellence, and NBC is too. Not 100% perfect, but NBC's coverage was really great this year. Kudos.

And that's why I think it's important for us to give positive feedback to NBC.  Not sure what the best way is to do it....Maybe Jason Bryant will see this and give us an idea.

28 minutes ago, denger said:

I don't think Peacock's free version had the Olympic Channel. I shopped around quite a bit a couple weeks ago trying to figure this out, and ended up on Fubo instead, where I could access all the NBC Sports content. If it was available for free, then part of my gripe is unwarranted. My extended gripe that NBC standard primetime spent a lot of time on the bios of those competing in Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, etc., which sets up a disparity of opportunities regarding mainstream exposure to elite athletes and other sports, still stands. 

Of course, my complaint assumes that people watch TV the 20th century way, and that mainstream viewers care at least a little about sports that aren't races. 

I'm not sure, I just went back and looked....I paid to watch the Olympic Trials on Peacock (one month)....not postive it was posible for Tokyo....found this though...just scanned quickly...it's over now...if they did it though, Peacock may have it archived...just guessing    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/30/how-to-watch-2020-tokyo-olympics-wrestling-2021-freestyle-greco-roman-nbc-schedule-times-peacock-tv/5429626001/

I agree. I am very happy I could see everything and pretty much every hardcore wrestling fan could find a way to watch (with free trials available). But there’s no reason they couldn’t at least get our medal matches on prime time. That’s like an hour total…I’m sure they could come up with that. People would watch it if it came on their tv. I’ve watched sports I’ve never seen before just because it’s the Olympics and that’s what came on. I think if they had done that, it would’ve drawn some more interest in the sport. Any sports fan would be excited to watch Gable and Taylor’s match even if they know nothing…those endings were spectacular!

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.