cjc007

The Champ is Saduleav

Just now, NJDan said:

Maybe, maybe not, but not based on that match. He was a passivity machine. The Tank was in neutral. Probably the least impressive gold medal match. Anyway, he won.

Sadulaev's last loss was 6-5 to Kyle Snyder on August 26, 2017, just after he moved up to 97kg. The only one before that was on November 27, 2013. You could provide a name of another wrestler who has been active continuously through the years who can compare to that. I didn't even mention that he won the 2016 Olympics, giving up just one (1) point in all his matches, and he just won the 2020 (2021) Olympics, giving up just three (3) points in all his matches.

Dominance

1 minute ago, pa in taiwan said:

Sadulaev's last loss was 6-5 to Kyle Snyder on August 26, 2017, just after he moved up to 97kg. The only one before that was on November 27, 2013. You could provide a name of another wrestler who has been active continuously through the years who can compare to that. I didn't even mention that he won the 2016 Olympics, giving up just one (1) point in all his matches, and he just won the 2020 (2021) Olympics, giving up just three (3) points in all his matches.

Dominance

He is dominant over that time. But today he was passive. Did not shoot. Call him The Russian Ditch.

3 minutes ago, headache said:

With a 2-0 lead, he's gonna let Snyder come at him. He'd be an idiot to play it any other way.

Maybe so. But this match will not convince anyone that wrestling is worth watching. Sad was content to win like a wuss. But more power to him, I guess.

When it's all said and done Sadulaev will be on that same tier with satiev. Might even be considered the goat. 

Today it is

1. Sadulaev 2. Otoguru 3. Gable.

2 minutes ago, BTC said:

When it's all said and done Sadulaev will be on that same tier with satiev. Might even be considered the goat. 

Today it is

I would include Sidakov in this group of the best of the day.

Snyder wrestled well. I’m glad he scored that takedown. I really didn’t want a shutout. He showed he can at least score on Sad, which is more than almost anyone has done. 

congrats  Sadulaev. Looking forward to the rematch in 5 weeks

5 minutes ago, BTC said:

Today it is

Sadulaev is very good, I would out him on a JB level of excellence.  

Saitiev was transcendent.  

5 minutes ago, BTC said:

Today it is

Of all the guys who won Gold this year, I would put Sadulaev in the top 6. I don't know if he cracks the top 5.

Sadulaev has one of the most efficient styles ever. No wasted bouncing around and half shots. All his movements have a purpose. I'm reading comments that "Snyder did all the work" and I'm wondering what bout they were watching. The goal is not to work but to score, and Sadulaev clearly won that battle.  And Snyder shoots low single twice and gives up two both times; shoots high crotch once and scores (granted, Sads was up comfortably by that point).  Superior tactics and strategy are hard to beat.  

Edited by Coach_J

Just now, NJDan said:

Of all the guys who won Gold this year, I would put Sadulaev in the top 6. I don't know if he cracks the top 5.

Hard to argue with that.  Uguev, otoguru, sidakov, taylor, steveson, all wrestled more impressive tournaments.

Lots of guys at 97kg have been around forever.  Lots of graybeards.  

Mohammadian going down first round to odekadze really shot this bracket in the foot.

1 minute ago, Coach_J said:

Sadulaev has one of the most efficient styles ever. No wasted bouncing around and half shots. All his movements have a purpose. I'm reading comments that "Snyder did all the work" and I'm wondering what bout they were watching. The goal is not to work but to score, and Sadulaev clearly won that battle.

If by "efficient" you mean "stand there like a statue" and wait, I'd agree. The man is ruining the sport.

Crap that wasn't even really close. Up 6-0 Sadulaev goal with short time was really just not to give up 4's and run out the clock as it should be. Kudos to Sadulaev who is clearly #1 now. 

Edited by DocBZ

35 minutes ago, headache said:

With a 2-0 lead, he's gonna let Snyder come at him. He'd be an idiot to play it any other way.

which goes to my point. he was never even cautioned in the second was he? 

40 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He is dominant over that time. But today he was passive. Did not shoot. Call him The Russian Ditch.

Disagree. That match was exciting for me, and I bet casuals would have liked it too. You have the element of rivalry. You have USA vs USSR. The action looked cool: Sad flipped Snyder butt over head twice. Snyder mounted a comeback and just missed exposing Sad from the waterfall position. Snyder came out of a scramble with a trap arm. Even if you grant that Sad was just playing defense after the first exposure, the neophyte would still have things to look at. I mean the way Snyder tried to get long to defend the chest wrap looked like a physics experiment.

Edited by jackwebster

16 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Disagree. That match was exciting for me, and I bet casuals would have liked it too. You have the element of rivalry. You have USA vs USSR. The action looked cool: Sad flipped Snyder butt over head twice. Snyder mounted a comeback and just missed exposing Sad from the waterfall position. Snyder came out of a scramble with a trap arm. Even if you grant that Sad was just playing defense after the first exposure, the neophyte would still have things to look at. I mean the way Snyder tried to get long to defend the chest wrap looked like a physics experiment.

butt over head? no.