cjc007

The Champ is Saduleav

14 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Disagree. That match was exciting for me, and I bet casuals would have liked it too. You have the element of rivalry. You have USA vs USSR. The action looked cool: Sad flipped Snyder butt over head twice. Snyder mounted a comeback and just missed exposing Sad from the waterfall position. Snyder came out of a scramble with a trap arm. Even if you grant that Sad was just playing defense after the first exposure, the neophyte would still have things to look at. I mean the way Snyder tried to get long to defend the chest wrap looked like a physics experiment.

He got sneaky same-side rolled, usually you belly-whizzer away from the leg not towards it.

1 hour ago, BTC said:

When it's all said and done Sadulaev will be on that same tier with satiev. Might even be considered the goat. 

Today it is

1. Sadulaev 2. Otoguru 3. Gable.

When you talk GOAT, I can think of some serious contenders.....Satiev of course, but people need to watch some of these guys in there prime....Arsen Fadzaev, Sergei Belaglozov, Levan Tediashvili, Alexander Medved....close behind John Smith, and I have to throw in Bruce Baumgartner just because he has the world record with 13 World and Olympic Medals and many competitions with David Gobedshvili.  Then there is Valentine Jordanov of Bulgaria.  There are great ones who only competed for a short time and were great...the one I think of is Ivan Yarigan who retired to become the CCCP National Coach for a long time.

5 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

People need to watch some of these guys in there prime....Arsen Fadzaev, Sergei Belaglozov, Levan Tediashvili, Alexander Medved....close behind John Smith,

I would laugh at LIMarty's rants about the glory days, but the folks you mention are freaks who would win today using the same training, tactics, and strategies that they used then. 

Sadualaev has the potential to be at the very top of the position of greats. Let’s do the math. 

2014 world champ 
2015 world champ 
2016 Olympic gold. 
2017 world silver 
2018 world gold
2019 world gold 
2020 Olympic gold 

He is already a six time world/Olympic gold medalist and one Silver. There’s a list of all time medal winners. There’s been one ten timer (Medved), one nine timer (Satiev), three eight timers (Belaglazov, Fadzaev and Jordanov), one seven timer (Khadartsev) and there are seven six timers (including Sadulaev and Smith). 

Keep the following in mind as you read the fun facts below. Sadulaev just won his sixth world/Olympic title. He turned 25 May 9th of this year. He won his first world tittle in 2014 at the age of 18. 

Some fun facts:

First off none very few six+ timers were flawless. Almost all of them wrestlers in more championships than they won. Even Smith who went six for six lost a match.

Medved competed in 12 world / Olympic championships and came away with ten golds, one silver and one bronze. He competed in three weight classes, and won seven golds at 97kg and three at 100kg+. Technically he won gold at three weight classes but that’s because some years he won at 97kg+ vs others at 100kg+ weights.

Medved was born in 1937 and won his last gold in 1972 at the age of 35. He won his first gold in 1962 at the age of 25.  

Satiev won an astounding three Olympic golds and competed in four. He won his last gold in 2005 at the age of thirty. He won his first in 1995 at the age of twenty (all ages are approximate!). 

Fadzaev was born in 1962 and won his last gold in 1992 at the age of 30. 

Satiev and Fadzaev were both stopped by an American in an Olympics (Satiev losing to Slay and Fadzaev to Monday). Khadartsev won his last gold medal in Atlanta in 1992 after which the USSR team became the Russia team. Rumor has it that post that Maharbek, without the benefit of all kinds of supplements and other goodies, was no longer made of cast iron and superhuman strength. Nevertheless he won four more world medals, three silvers and a bronze. 

Two other things: Belaglazo and Fadzaev won world titles before and after 1984 so arguably missed a gold due to the Russian boycott of 1984. 

If Sadulaev continues wrestling and winning till he’s thirty he’s on track to eclipse Medved and become the first 11 or even 12 timer. He could even lose or skip one and get there. I don’t see an immediate threat. We can hope that J’Den could get there but I’m not so sure. 

EDIT: changed Medved last win to 1972 at age of 35. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Maybe so. But this match will not convince anyone that wrestling is worth watching. Sad was content to win like a wuss. But more power to him, I guess.

I love when people talk about someone behind an anonymous message board completely different than they would if they were talking to that person. It’s cute. 

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

As we talk about GOATs, Sadulaev is 25 years old. Is there any question he’ll go down as the GOAT of all GOATs? The only way he doesn’t get there is a freak career-ending injury or act of God, as they say. 

oh dude, never count your GOATs before they hatch, especially with a field like Russia’s.  It just takes one gangster mf-er out of the hinterlands.  They have warehouses full of evloevs.

Definitely interested in seeing a Sad vs Jden match. Otoguro probably had the worst draw out of all the champs and he got it done. Sadulaev had about as tough a road as he can have but he's so good it was nothing to him. Gable had a tough draw as well.

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I would laugh at LIMarty's rants about the glory days, but the folks you mention are freaks who would win today using the same training, tactics, and strategies that they used then. 

All of the stuff they were doing is used to day, and even more.  Wrestling has advanced, but those guys could still win today, and they would be using all the things that have evolved since their retirements.  :)

3 hours ago, RED said:

Snyder didn't wrestle a good match.  I think he is the better wrestler of the two. 

I agree, he has more potential but he lost because he doesn’t wrestle through positions. He needs to learn from Taylor. 

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

Sadualaev has the potential to be at the very top of the position of greats. Let’s do the math. 

2014 world champ 
2015 world champ 
2016 Olympic gold. 
2017 world silver 
2018 world gold
2019 world gold 
2020 Olympic gold 

He is already a six time world/Olympic gold medalist and one Silver. There’s a list of all time medal winners. There’s been one ten timer (Medved), one nine timer (Satiev), three eight timers (Belaglazov, Fadzaev and Jordanov), one seven timer (Khadartsev) and there are seven six timers (including Sadulaev and Smith). 

Keep the following in mind as you read the fun facts below. Sadulaev just won his sixth world/Olympic title. He turned 25 May 9th of this year. He won his first world tittle in 2014 at the age of 18. 

Some fun facts:

First off none very few six+ timers were flawless. Almost all of them wrestlers in more championships than they won. Even Smith who went six for six lost a match.

Medved competed in 12 world / Olympic championships and came away with ten golds, one silver and one bronze. He competed in three weight classes, and won seven golds at 97kg and three at 100kg+. Technically he won gold at three weight classes but that’s because some years he won at 97kg+ vs others at 100kg+ weights.

Medved was born in 1937 and won his last gold in 1971 at the age of 34. He won his first gold in 1962 at the age of 25.  

Satiev won an astounding three Olympic golds and competed in four. He won his last gold in 2005 at the age of thirty. He won his first in 1995 at the age of twenty (all ages are approximate!). 

Satiev and Fadzaev were both stopped by an American in an Olympics (Satiev losing to Slay and Fadzaev to Monday). Khadartsev won his last gold medal in Atlanta in 1992 after which the USSR team became the Russia team. Rumor has it that post that Maharbek, without the benefit of all kinds of supplements and other goodies, was no longer made of cast iron and superhuman strength. Nevertheless he won four more world medals, three silvers and a bronze. 

Two other things: Belaglazo and Fadzaev won world titles before and after 1984 so arguably missed a gold due to the Russian boycott of 1984. 

If Sadulaev continues wrestling and winning till he’s thirty he’s on track to eclipse Medved and become the first 11 or even 12 timer. He could even lose or skip one and get there. I don’t see an immediate threat. We can hope that J’Den could get there but I’m not so sure. 

But the internet message board guy told me Sadulaev is all hype and no substance like Conor McGregor. 

In all seriousness, this is a good post and well researched. Sadulaev is an absolute monster. Unfortunately, Snyder was trying to slay the modern day Goliath and the task was just too tall. 

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

oh dude, never count your GOATs before they hatch, especially with a field like Russia’s.  It just takes one gangster mf-er out of the hinterlands.  They have warehouses full of evloevs.

That would qualify as an act of God it's so unlikely, and even then, the Russian team selection process would make Sadualev the rep anyway!

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I love when people talk about someone behind an anonymous message board completely different than they would if they were talking to that person. It’s cute. 

i know someone who does this alot

4 hours ago, RED said:

Snyder didn't wrestle a good match.  I think he is the better wrestler of the two. 

He did not wrestle a good match, but he is not the better wrestler. What did you see that makes you think he is better? His ability to get in on a shot and turned?

4 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

2014 world champ 
2015 world champ 
2016 Olympic gold. 
2017 world silver 
2018 world gold
2019 world gold 
2020 Olympic gold 

Some fun facts:

Medved was born in 1937 and won his last gold in 1971 at the age of 34. He won his first gold in 1962 at the age of 25.  

Nice write up - small factual correction - Medved's last Gold was in Munich in 1972 Olympics.  He beat C Taylor among others.  I for one have not given up on Kyle knocking off Sad at some point in the future - He is also only 25 and seems committed to improving.  Sad is a little ahead of him now but that doesn't mean Snyder can't turn that around.  I hope Sadulaev goes to Oslo in a couple of months and Snyder gets another crack at him.

cox at his absolute best would be a great match with sad...

i think cox of this year gets rolled up easier than snyder...

clearly there is something going on with cox and i hope he figures it out...

i'm just glad they got the wrestling finished before they cancelled the olympics...

8 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Nice write up - small factual correction - Medved's last Gold was in Munich in 1972 Olympics.  He beat C Taylor among others.  I for one have not given up on Kyle knocking off Sad at some point in the future - He is also only 25 and seems committed to improving.  Sad is a little ahead of him now but that doesn't mean Snyder can't turn that around.  I hope Sadulaev goes to Oslo in a couple of months and Snyder gets another crack at him.

Thanks ! I edited the post and changed the last year and age for Medved. After watching Snyder and Sadulaev I’m starting to believe it’s more possible that I indicated in my post. 

7 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

2014 world champ 
2015 world champ 
2016 Olympic gold. 
2017 world silver 
2018 world gold
2019 world gold 
2020 Olympic gold 

Some fun facts:

Medved was born in 1937 and won his last gold in 1972 at the age of 35. He won his first gold in 1962 at the age of 25.  

EDIT: changed Medved last win to 1972 at age of 35. 

Yes, Makharbek Khadartzev is another great one!!!!!  Also, good point on 1984 with Fadzaev and Belaglozov...my money would have been on both of them!

Edited by fadzaev2

8 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I second that. Fadzaev was just about cruel on the mat.