pa in taiwan

Congratulations Japanese Women's Wrestling

Just now, CoachWrestling said:

They're incredible, but I think you're going to see the US give them a run next Olympics. Women's wrestling in the US is exploding and we have some amazing athletes coming up. 

We have a few folks who can challenge them. Amit Elor plays that powerful technical game that I think will give Japan trouble. She is pretty damn good already. 

Kennedy Blades will be a world medalist too. I wonder if she will switch weights while Tamyra is around. Might have a Dake-JB situation otherwise. 

There are some other promising up and comers, but without juniors in 2020 it’s her to tell how good they are. Juniors should teach us a lot in a couple weeks

It's like I said after Stadnik won her World title in 2019.  I can guarantee she was glad Susaki wasn't there and I bet she hated that Susaki was on her side of the bracket during this Olympics.

The one thing people are forgetting is that Susaki won her first Senior world title when she was a high schooler.  Same as her teammate, Haruna Okuno(who lost the spot to her college teammate and this year's Olympic champion, Mayu Mukaida).  Now she's actually a woman.

It was certainly a starring Olympics for Susaki - she got to carry the flag in the opening ceremony, they arrange the wrestling tournament so she had the potential of getting in the headline slot in the last match on the last day of the Olympics, and she delivered the performance expected of her without breaking a sweat.

So it's kinda crazy to think in 2019 the odds were she wouldn't even be there, after Irie squeaked her out of the team for the worlds (and Olympic team slot that would have come with any medal). Cruel as it is, JWA and JOC must have been somewhat relieved when Irie crashed and burned at the worlds. It also goes to show, even when you're (by far) the best at what you do, luck and timing beyond your control can make all the difference in the world.

Also good that their mens free got a gold with Otoguru, it'd be a shame if they hadn't won any gold at their home olympics, overall the Japanese have my favorite style to watch and he's one of the best examples of why I think that.

Edited by ufo

9 hours ago, ufo said:

It was certainly a starring Olympics for Susaki - she got to carry the flag in the opening ceremony, they arrange the wrestling tournament so she had the potential of getting in the headline slot in the last match on the last day of the Olympics, and she delivered the performance expected of her without breaking a sweat.

So it's kinda crazy to think in 2019 the odds were she wouldn't even be there, after Irie squeaked her out of the team for the worlds (and Olympic team slot that would have come with any medal). Cruel as it is, JWA and JOC must have been somewhat relieved when Irie crashed and burned at the worlds. It also goes to show, even when you're (by far) the best at what you do, luck and timing beyond your control can make all the difference in the world.

Also good that their mens free got a gold with Otoguru, it'd be a shame if they hadn't won any gold at their home olympics, overall the Japanese have my favorite style to watch and he's one of the best examples of why I think that.

I'm pretty sure they were relieved when Irie lost and didn't place in the 2019 WC.  The problem with Irie is that, she is really good.  Multiple time age group world champion like all of Japan's womens team.  But, Irie's offense is nowhere near as dynamic as Susaki's.  Which means that when it gets close in these international tournaments and Irie has to go out and get a TD to win, the chances are significantly lower than if that were Susaki.

Nobody in Japan right now that's behind her on the 50kg ladder is as dynamic, quick and has the same level of technique(and that's saying something)

I laughed when Team USA released that article right before the Opening Ceremonies and said that Susaki being the flagbearer for Japan would possibly be a distraction for her.

10 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

They're incredible, but I think you're going to see the US give them a run next Olympics. Women's wrestling in the US is exploding and we have some amazing athletes coming up. 

It might take till 2028, but I agree. Having 5 USA make the Semis was a big step. Hopefully the number of women who've reach elite levels here will trickle into the expanding opportunities for USA women. It seems likely, but it will still take time to match the depth of a Japanese system that is decades ahead of us. 

14 hours ago, Housebuye said:

We have a few folks who can challenge them. Amit Elor plays that powerful technical game that I think will give Japan trouble. She is pretty damn good already. 

Kennedy Blades will be a world medalist too. I wonder if she will switch weights while Tamyra is around. Might have a Dake-JB situation otherwise. 

There are some other promising up and comers, but without juniors in 2020 it’s her to tell how good they are. Juniors should teach us a lot in a couple weeks

It would make more sense for Kennedy to go up and challenge for the spot at 76.  She has the frame to put on more size, and it would be easier for her to beat Adeline than TMS.