grappler111

Future of Olympic Wrestling

14 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

With some adjustments in stand up department I think that Grappling nogi is very exciting and it is similar to ancient Greek wrestling. Pankration is another excellent style with a good point system for wrestling techniques. An inclusion beside Greco, Freestyle and woman's Beach Wrestling with different format without a large numbers of medals could be fine.

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

But why does the future of wrestling involve a different sport that is less popular and really only practiced in the U.S. and Brazil?  I think most wrestling fans don't like grappling, just like most grappling fans don't like wrestling.  If anything, grappling is more like Judo than wrestling. 

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

But why does the future of wrestling involve a different sport that is less popular and really only practiced in the U.S. and Brazil?  I think most wrestling fans don't like grappling, just like most grappling fans don't like wrestling.  If anything, grappling is more like Judo than wrestling. 

How many wrestling fans don’t like grappling?  I know very few who don‘t also at least watch mma

Because Grappling is a wrestling style, like Pankration and Beach Wrestling. Grappling is the evolution of catch as catch can wrestling. The stand up in grappling is essentially freestyle/greco roman wrestling.

Btw, to be clear, grappling is the catch all term for non-striking hand to hand combat sports.

I assume here when you say grappling it is referring specifically to sport no-gi jiujitsu, along the lines of ADCC?

Btw, to be clear, grappling is the catch all term for non-striking hand to hand combat sports. I assume here when you say grappling it is referring specifically to sport no-gi jiujitsu, along the lines of ADCC?

Grappling like submission wrestling style recognised by UWW. It is not simply nogi jujitsu. It has different point system in stand up. 

https://uww.org/disciplines

IF it doesn’t hurt freestyle Greco. I don’t have a problem with adding additional styles. I’d prefer more weights. 

Gimmick styles like beach wrestling can make irrelevant countries get medals. Which can be beneficial. But it should be also acknowledged for what it is. A gimmick to give lesser countries a chance 

So this is my take and I have no idea if it’s really accurate. But initially we were told that wrestling would be on this channel or that and if you wanted to watch everything you had to be on an app. But shortly after the Wrestling began, that an announcement was made saying that the Olympic Channel was going to cover Wrestling. Now I know that not everyone has this channel but it does seem to suggest that someone at NBC decided that there was a good chance at reaching the wrestling fan base by doing this. I have no idea what the ratings were for the Olympics let alone the wrestling, but I do hope that it was very good for the wrestling viewership. I have to believe that it must have been, especially here, due to the amazing performances of our Men and Women Freestylers. 

IF it doesn’t hurt freestyle Greco. I don’t have a problem with adding additional styles. I’d prefer more weights. 

Gimmick styles like beach wrestling can make irrelevant countries get medals. Which can be beneficial. But it should be also acknowledged for what it is. A gimmick to give lesser countries a chance 
African countries and Spain have traditional wrestling styles on the sand.

Just now, grappler111 said:

African countries and Spain have traditional wrestling styles on the sand.

You say this like it’s detracting from my point. It doesn’t 

My proposal is adding new styles not cut freestyle and greco. Women's beach wrestling is the solution for the absence of female Greco roman. You have only two weight classes. A combination with Nogi Grappling+Pankration in the same event another 8-10.

3 hours ago, jp157 said:

I take it you’re from a country with weak freestyle/Greco wrestling 

1 hour ago, grappler111 said:

Yes but this is not the point. With multiple wrestling styles you can built a very strong sport with a better sponsorship.

While it may seem an irrelevant sport to us, in a number of countries it may be close to their national sport.  It’s a great way to boost representation.  And just because we suck at it doesn’t mean it’s a gimmick, it just means we suck at it and don’t pay attention to it.  

It’s like skiing in thailand or sailing in mongolia.

Looking at the bios of the IOC members, very few come from countries with an interest in combat sports. Our rep's main focus is on women's sports, so she's no help. I don't see any additional combat sports being added anytime soon, especially when we're getting garbage like BMX and 3x3 basketball added.

In my opinion UWW needs to improve the world championships or create a big event with inside all the disciplines under his umbrella. Not only Olympic styles but also Grappling, Pankration and Beach Wrestling.
Another idea could be the creation of a special ranking with addictional points in different styles.
Like skiing has a world cup with the sum of the points in slalom, g slalom, downhill etc in wrestling you have freestyle, Greco, Beach Wrestling, Grappling and Pankration.