Housebuye

Freestyle Rules are Excellent

Obviously there can be some tweaks snd clarifications, but the product being put out is amazing. 

The matches were extremely exciting. The fact that so many came down to the last 30 seconds makes it extremely exciting. In most matches the better wrestler won too, which is important. 

Not only did we get to see a ton of exciting close matches that were decided last second (Uguev 3 times, Gable, DT, etc), even the Snyder match was super exciting. Being down 6-0 in the last minute, we all still knew Snyder had a good shot at winning. 

Good job UWW. 

2 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

The rules suck at 6-0 it was a pushout and two tips. Zero points in folkstyle. Freestyle is a joke.  No one knows how to score it.  

Freestyle is NOT folkstyle... you certainly are welcome for your opinion.

Folkstyle will emphasize control... FS w/exposure.  

Can't give up exposure while trying for control.

Divide those two styles while you're watching on TV... and avoid the heartburn.

(... or, have Tums available, while you watch... )

D3

18 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

The rules suck at 6-0 it was a pushout and two tips. Zero points in folkstyle. Freestyle is a joke.  No one knows how to score it.  

I…that’s a ridiculous take. It’s a different sport. 

22 minutes ago, The Take Out said:

It's not that I don't know who scored what and why. The problem is that John Smith often does not know either.

Just now, NJDan said:

It's not that I don't know who scored what and why. The problem is that John Smith often does not know either.

I’m sorry but Smith was wrong most of the time on scoring when he questioned officials. He is a great coach, but he is a terrible ref. I’m not a rules expert and I was correcting him constantly. 

As someone else pointed out, I think culturally we complain about reffing a lot. It’s the same in MMA, the MLB, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I’m sorry but Smith was wrong most of the time on scoring when he questioned officials. He is a great coach, but he is a terrible ref. I’m not a rules expert and I was correcting him constantly. 

As someone else pointed out, I think culturally we complain about reffing a lot. It’s the same in MMA, the MLB, etc. 

I spent some time in Olympic boxing. At any tournament, Junior on up through the Olympics…..50% of the athletes got robbed every round. 

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

The refs may be correct. But the problem is that the rules allow scoring for actions that don't look like scores. Sad's two exposures of Snyder are a great example.

39 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Obviously there can be some tweaks snd clarifications, but the product being put out is amazing. 

The matches were extremely exciting. The fact that so many came down to the last 30 seconds makes it extremely exciting. In most matches the better wrestler won too, which is important. 

Not only did we get to see a ton of exciting close matches that were decided last second (Uguev 3 times, Gable, DT, etc), even the Snyder match was super exciting. Being down 6-0 in the last minute, we all still knew Snyder had a good shot at winning. 

Good job UWW. 

Scoring is fine, I would really like to see overtime reinstated instead of the last score rule.  It turns the last minute into a playground fight, and refs LOVE getting in the middle. 

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

The refs may be correct. But the problem is that the rules allow scoring for actions that don't look like scores. Sad's two exposures of Snyder are a great example.

They don’t look like scores if you’re looking at it through folkstyle glasses. If you’re looking at it through the same glasses as the rest of the world, that was two big mistakes by Snyder that the best wrestler in the world took advantage of. 

Just now, Shiraz123 said:

I read (don't watch the sport) that they have overtime in Judo and it just leads to nothing happening during most of the match as most guys just stall to overtime. Fine with criteria personally. 

This is true, Judo already has a huge passivity problem bc the speed with which an ippon can happen is so immense, and it is so final, it’s like if a pin was called in wrestling if your opponent ever lifted your feet of the ground.  

Judo has the most razor thin of margins, plus grabbing a gi, it can all end so quickly.

They do have the douchiest celebrations in all of sport though.  

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Good job UWW. 

Arbitrariness of the shot clock ruins the entire sport. How does Snyder get put on the clock when he's taken the only shot in the match? If he's not on the clock, he wrestles differently and it's a different match.

5 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Arbitrariness of the shot clock ruins the entire sport. How does Snyder get put on the clock when he's taken the only shot in the match? If he's not on the clock, he wrestles differently and it's a different match.

I used to hate it, but considering all the other contemporaneous good rule changes, I've grown to accept it. Whether it's bad to get dinged first is 50/50. Most of the time, if you get dinged first, the other guy gets dinged in the second period, which somewhat offsets its arbitrary use.

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I used to hate it, but considering all the other contemporaneous good rule changes, I've grown to accept it. Whether it's bad to get dinged first is 50/50. Most of the time, if you get dinged first, the other guy gets dinged in the second period, which somewhat offsets its arbitrary use.

i agree with this most of the time.. however, clearly running, saduleav didn't even get a single caution in the second..

but i do agree its better than what we had.

not sure if i still like my idea of forced par terre(instead of clock), might make it harder for americans...

3 hours ago, The Take Out said:

How can you spend the first half of your post clearly describing how freestyle is scored, and then claim at the end that nobody knows how to score it?

I agree that it's much more entertaining than the ball-grab era.

I suspect that fresh eyes, those who haven't seen a lot of freestyle wrestling, are confused about exposure. It's hard to explain why tipping someone past 90º is just as valuable as a takedown. 

The other rule that I don't like is when a wrestler scores exposure on their way to a takedown (while grounded), they only get the 2 exposure because that's already considered control. If the defending wrestler (who almost always initiated action) scores from there it's a reversal, and I'm good with that part. I just wish there were also 1 for securing ground control. It just doesn't make sense to me that a takedown with a turn worth the same as a takedown without a turn. 

3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Maroulis vs Kawai semifinal.  Final was 2-1 will all the points from being on the shot clock.  The referee decided the match. 

that is on the athletes...

7 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Maroulis vs Kawai semifinal.  Final was 2-1 will all the points from being on the shot clock.  The referee decided the match. 

I saw Kawai dominate the mat and positions for 4:30. I wasn't happy to watch that match either, but I don't blame the ref for the two athletes being risk averse. Although, I could blame the refs for stopping action before one of my favorite wrestlers in the world got pushed out on the edge...twice. If there were a call that the officials screwed up, it was that one. And maybe that would have changed the dynamic...maybe Maroulis would have stayed out of that position if she'd been scored on from there...maybe she would have opened up earlier if she were down by 3 instead of 2...but the passivity calls on Maroulis were fair.