Drew87

Best tournament performance this past week

Took a lot of guts, to come off a last second loss to the reigning World champ and NOW gold medal winner... go thru like a hot knife thru butter over another wrestler who ALSO had a closs loss to that same wrestler... To beat the Iranian (who also lost to said gold medal winner) to nab the bronze.

Hard work and determination won for Gilman... he did it the old fashion way. 

3Fw7Nvq.png

uh, earned it! ;>P

D3

In men’s freestyle, I think it’s between Gable, Gilman, Otoguro, and the Belarusian that beat Dake and Chamizo. Obviously, Sidakov and Sadulaev had excellent performances too but that was expected. If I had to pick one, I’d go with Gable because he beat both Geno and Taha who have dominated the weight class for the last 7 years. Totally dominated Akgul and had the amazing comeback taking down Geno twice in the last 13 seconds.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

As far as that (Otoguro)... I agree w/ both of you. ( 65 Kg was just insane... I went back an viewed the entire (fast forward thru some...@ 15 sec a piece ;-P ) 65Kg last night.)

There were a lot of good wrestling performances to be mentioned here. Perhaps the topic above should be expanded to that.

A LOT of good stories to mention here.

D3

Otoguro is the answer? You guys are out of your minds. 

GABLE. Case closed. 

How many people in the planet really thought Gable would win the whole thing, let alone nearly tech the defending Olympic champ on his way to winning it? Exactly one: Gable. He turned in one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen in any sport, and that is not even slightly exaggerated.

You guys think Rashidov and Aliyev are better than Geno and Akgul? I know it’s not far off and I would agree 65 is deeper overall, but I’d say gables wins were better and more convincing. Also, Otoguro is a previous world champion with home field advantage. Many were expecting him to win. I doubt many outside the US had Gable pick to win.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Sadulaev...he beat an Olympic and 2xWorld champion, a 2xWorld silver and 1x World bronze, a 1x World bronze, and an Olympic and World champion in his 4 matches. No one had a harder 4 wrestlers to beat to win gold IMO.

Otugurro a close second.

Edited by DocBZ

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

GABLE. Case closed. 

How many people in the planet really thought Gable would win the whole thing, let alone nearly tech the defending Olympic champ on his way to winning it? Exactly one: Gable. He turned in one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen in any sport, and that is not even slightly exaggerated.

You really think his parents and brother didn't think he could do it?

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

GABLE. Case closed. 

I legitimately did after watching him deck gwiz twice without even thinking about it.  I really walk away from his performance thinking he was so head and shoulders above the field that his finals were exciting only bc he underperformed against Geno, which made it exciting, but he could have maybe teched that dude or at least blanked him.  After watching Geno, I though Akgul was better.

I thought he kinda tried to cassar himself again there at the end, but went straight superhero status with the takedowns.

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You really think his parents and brother didn't think he could do it?

100%. Rooting for someone and honestly and objectively “knowing” they’ll win it are completely different. Gable’s reaction (lack thereof) after he obliterated Akgul says it all. He was there to be crowned and it was just meant to be. As the rest of the world was picking its jaw off the floor, Gable left the match like he’d just finished drilling on Tony Nelson. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

19 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Sadulaev...he beat an Olympic and 2xWorld champion, a 2xWorld silver and 1x World bronze, a 1x World bronze, and an Olympic and World champion in his 4 matches. No one had a harder 4 wrestlers to beat to win gold IMO.

Otugurro a close second.

Good point with Sad to be fair. We all see him as the undisputed king that easy to overlook his achievements like what you just said.

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

I legitimately did after watching him deck gwiz twice without even thinking about it.  I really walk away from his performance thinking he was so head and shoulders above the field that his finals were exciting only bc he underperformed against Geno, which made it exciting, but he could have maybe teched that dude or at least blanked him.  After watching Geno, I though Akgul was better.

I thought he kinda tried to cassar himself again there at the end, but went straight superhero status with the takedowns.

I agree.  He was terrible in beating the 3X defending world champ.  By 21 he should be winning by techfall.  He's lucky he didn't lose allowing that scrub to score on him.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

You guys think Rashidov and Aliyev are better than Geno and Akgul? I know it’s not far off and I would agree 65 is deeper overall, but I’d say gables wins were better and more convincing. Also, Otoguro is a previous world champion with home field advantage. Many were expecting him to win. I doubt many outside the US had Gable pick to win.

I'd really like to see Rashidov, Aliyev, Otoguro wrestle some of elite 74s - I think they could take Sidakov/dake out.  Hot take but the two most overrated wrestlers in the world right now is Bajrang and Chamizo. I think Bajrang is a clear level below at 65 and Chamizo is a clear level below at 74.

65 is not just deep the top tier is elite elite. 

Otoguro is a top 3 pound for pound in the world.

Another thing Gable had a great tourney but he was nearly beaten. Otoguro had several close matches as well. Sadulaev was never in danger in any of his matches of losing. Considering his level of competition which I outlined above its pretty clear IMO its Sadulaev all day. Sidakov's level of domination deserves some mention too.

Edited by DocBZ