Jump to content
Drew87

Best tournament performance this past week

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Gable was great, but perhaps he gets dinged by getting turned so easily and needing a bit of a gift from the official to be in position to score the winning takedown.

The ref made the wrong call, but still hoping to get a camera angle on the 4 that wasn’t scored if we are going to dive down the rabbit hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Hot take but the two most overrated wrestlers in the world right now is Bajrang and Chamizo. I think Bajrang is a clear level below at 65 and Chamizo is a clear level below at 74.

 

Bajrang ... maybe. Chamizo is game. He has volatile results here and there, to be sure, but if he is a clear level below, how does that compute with recent victories (plural) versus JB and his world silver in 2019?? The field changed that much in 1.5 years or so?  Chamizo is a world class athlete and right there on any given day, he's just not the most disciplined wrestler. His career success (recent Dake loss notwithstanding) in spite of that fact is testament to his skill and athleticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Bajrang ... maybe. Chamizo is game. He has volatile results here and there, to be sure, but if he is a clear level below, how does that compute with recent victories (plural) versus JB and his world silver in 2019?? The field changed that much in 1.5 years or so?  Chamizo is a world class athlete and right there on any given day, he's just not the most disciplined wrestler. His career success (recent Dake loss notwithstanding) in spite of that fact is testament to his skill and athleticism.

Chamizo has lost every matchup vs the elite guys in his class at the world championships last few years. I don't feel like he is ever close to beating sidakov and it's goes about how the dake/chamizo match just went.

I think him and bajrang also can wrestle guys like jordan oliver and it's a close match and elite guys should dominate jordan oliver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Chamizo has lost every matchup vs the elite guys in his class at the world championships last few years. I don't feel like he is ever close to beating sidakov and it's goes about how the dake/chamizo match just went.

I think him and bajrang also can wrestle guys like jordan oliver and it's a close match and elite guys should dominate jordan oliver.

I just remember how close Chamizo was to losing out on the bronze to Molinaro in Rio. I still think he’s great though, just not better than some of the guys in other weights who have prior world/Olympic medals.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the argument against Gable?

Given the context, circumstances, 2 takedowns against Geno of all people in the last 13 seconds and winning with a fraction of a second left. Obviously the others here are spectacular but Gable's performance was other worldly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Chamizo has lost every matchup vs the elite guys in his class at the world championships last few years. I don't feel like he is ever close to beating sidakov and it's goes about how the dake/chamizo match just went.

I think him and bajrang also can wrestle guys like jordan oliver and it's a close match and elite guys should dominate jordan oliver.

I want to separate Bajrang from my comments. I did potentially agree with you ... just haven't really thought about it. 

Chamizo is below the three current medalists at the moment. Very fair. But is he the most overrated? Recent wins ... JB in 2021 Matteo Pelicone. This win cannot be denied! He comfortably defeated a 74 kg world silver medalist in his first round at the Olympics despite an otherwise bad showing. He beat a 74 kg world silver medalist in June (Kaysanov). He comfortably defeated Zhamalov who was literally 2 seconds away from keeping Sidakov off the Olympics (Youtube Zhamalov Sidakov and see for yourself).  Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. 

He is not consistently at his best, but that's part of his reputation anyway. I wouldn't call him most overrated for that.

JO is clearly not at the world medalist level, but he is a very intelligent wrestler. He knows how to keep it close with guys he can't beat. Chamizo's style is more defensive, so the close scores don't bother me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you’re confusing peoples love for Bajrang and Chamizo for people thinking they are the best. They consistently compete for medals at ridiculously tough weights, but we love them because they wrestle more than any one else in the world, are extremely entertaining in their mat styles, and seem like genuinely cool people with lots of personality. They aren’t really on my p4p list, but are at the top of the guys I root for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronChef said:

Yui Susaki
10-0 2:48
10-0 2:44
11-0 3:47 (vs. 2019 world champ)
10-0 1:36

This was, hands down, the most dominating, impressive, and top performance of anyone in any discipline all week. Only one match saw the 2nd period.....and that one went less than a minute past halftime. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Holtfan said:

This was, hands down, the most dominating, impressive, and top performance of anyone in any discipline all week. Only one match saw the 2nd period.....and that one went less than a minute past halftime. 

 

It was pretty amazing to watch.  Let's also consider this:

In 7 World championships(3 cadet, 2 junior 2 senior) and 1 Olympics, she has outscored her opponents:

331-6

Edited by CA_Wrestler
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

It was pretty amazing to watch.  Let's also consider this:

In 7 World championships(3 cadet, 2 junior 2 senior) and 1 Olympics, she has outscored her opponents:

331-6

Those are some crazy stats.  Yui might be the best woman in the sport right now.  Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I just remember how close Chamizo was to losing out on the bronze to Molinaro in Rio. I still think he’s great though, just not better than some of the guys in other weights who have prior world/Olympic medals.

To be fair, molinaro was on a different planet for that summer.  That was a martian frank who visited for a few months, made us all believe in magic, and then left.  His was the ultimate rudy story, and one of the coolest US wrestling stories in my lifetime.  That Frank had gilman juice, which went away when he left nlwc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know lots of guys and gals had a great tournament, and many former Champions and medalists were knocked out of the competition early on. But for me, it’s Gable,  this was his first International Senior level competition, and it’s the Olympics! He handles Taha and has a great battle with Geno, getting him at the buzzer. These are two guys that have a chest full of medals and titles, and have ruled this weight class for a number of years. I just think it was the best.
I think that if Taylor had taken Yazdani apart in the finals I would have went with him. Because DT did make it look like he was on another level heading leading into his finals match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yui Susaki and Risako Kawai

 

Yukako Kawai also had a really impressive Olympic run - she had no big tournament wins prior to the olympics.  

 

As for the men's categories, I think Otoguro by far.  He defeated the last two wrestlers to beat him, and another impressive showing by beating Aliyev in the final.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, TripNSweep said:

Yui Sasaki no question. All tech falls, no points scored against. That's like pitching a perfect game in game 7 of the world series. 

Seems like its like pitching perfect games in the Division series, LCS, and 2 games of the World Series 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, GoNotQuietly said:

I think you’re confusing peoples love for Bajrang and Chamizo for people thinking they are the best. They consistently compete for medals at ridiculously tough weights, but we love them because they wrestle more than any one else in the world, are extremely entertaining in their mat styles, and seem like genuinely cool people with lots of personality. They aren’t really on my p4p list, but are at the top of the guys I root for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Wrestling more than anyone else...doesn't Chamizo have a history of forfeiting if rankings points are on the line?

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Re: Wrestling more than anyone else...doesn't Chamizo have a history of forfeiting if rankings points are on the line?

Why risk blowing out your knee for the prestigious Matteo Pellicone trophy if you have locked up the #1 seed for worlds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Why risk blowing out your knee for the prestigious Matteo Pellicone trophy if you have locked up the #1 seed for worlds?

Understandable, but it just seems odd to brag about "wrestling more than anyone else" then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Understandable, but it just seems odd to brag about "wrestling more than anyone else" then

He could only do that because he wrestled so much more than everyone else that he didn’t need more points. If a guy wrestles twenty matches and forfeits one he still wrestled more than the guy who he forfeited to who only wrestled that tournament…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...