Sign in to follow this  
rocklobsta

NLWC

Snyder's game plan needs to change. He needs to stop relying on just winning on his feet and start to work on his ground game. Don't believe he turned a single opponent in the tourney and in the end got turned twice by Sadulaev to lose. If he's been working on that at NLWC it sure didn't show.

In men’s freestyle, NLWC did better than every delegation aside from ROC and USA.

The final medal count was one gold (Taylor); one silver (Snyder); and two bronze (Gilman and Bekzod).

With only six weight classes, that’s super impressive. 

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Katie said:

In men’s freestyle, NLWC did better than every delegation aside from ROC and USA.

The final medal count was one gold (Taylor); one silver (Snyder); and two bronze (Gilman and Bezkod).

With only six weight classes, that’s super impressive. 

Don't forget Abdurakhmonov

Snyder didn’t actually look that good. He had a great draw, so wasn’t challenged until the finals. In the finals, he was getting destroyed before Sad got a bit tired and gave up some meaningless points at the end. Zero progression from what I could see technically or otherwise. No shame in losing to Sad, but just saying he could have had this same loss 24 months ago. 

Agree on the other points. Gilman and Taylor were both outstanding. 

2 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Snyder's game plan needs to change. He needs to stop relying on just winning on his feet and start to work on his ground game. Don't believe he turned a single opponent in the tourney and in the end got turned twice by Sadulaev to lose. If he's been working on that at NLWC it sure didn't show.

I thought Cael got outgame planned by the russian coach. You can say sadulaev didn't shoot much but that was part of the strategy, they knew Snyders low single was coming and were prepared. Snyder tried a gut turn at the end , he needed it and it was what youd expect 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Snyder didn’t actually look that good. He had a great draw, so wasn’t challenged until the finals. In the finals, he was getting destroyed before Sad got a bit tired and gave up some meaningless points at the end. Zero progression from what I could see technically or otherwise. No shame in losing to Sad, but just saying he could have had this same loss 24 months ago. 

agree. He's always wrestled better against Sav then the other top guys at that weight.  Snyder's benchmark at this point isn't really sav, it's distancing himself from the others. 

Where's he place in Sav's bracket ?   Dlagnov gets snyder to the finals in this olympics just as easily it was a joke of a draw.

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Spot on, but don the firefighter suit.

1 minute ago, alliseeisgold said:

agree. He's always wrestled better against Sav then the other top guys at that weight.  Snyder's benchmark at this point isn't really sav, it's distancing himself from the others. 

Where's he place in Sav's bracket ?   Dlagnov gets snyder to the finals in this olympics just as easily it was a joke of a draw.

Perhaps he needed to be training with Gable, Nelson and Brandvold?

4 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Perhaps he needed to be training with Gable, Nelson and Brandvold?

I think the reality is just that Sad is an all time great. Nobody in the world has progressed against him. To the point where it looks like many don’t even try (because they know if they open up it is over).  Snyder’s win from 2017 appears now to be a consequence of Sad adjusting to the new weight rather than a close win of equals. 

Snyder may be better now than he was before NLWC, but I’m just saying we haven’t seen any evidence of it yet. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Snyder’s win from 2017 appears now to be a consequence of Sad adjusting to the new weight rather than a close win of equals. 

This is a shameful excuse, but I do believe the Ramaddan thing. From everything I've ever read or seen, Sadulaev is clearly religious. We saw several times throughout the Olympics how running on empty can dramatically alter someone's abilities. And it was still a dogfight versus a tankless Tank.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is a shameful excuse, but I do believe the Ramaddan thing. From everything I've ever read or seen, Sadulaev is clearly religious. We saw several times throughout the Olympics how running on empty can dramatically alter someone's abilities. And it was still a dogfight versus a tankless Tank.

I didn’t even consider that-good point.

39 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Too much has been made of Synder's draw, imo.  Maybe based on name recognition Sadulaev had the "much tougher" draw, but not based on recent results. 

Looking at Sadulaev's opponent's recent results on UWW database:

R16: Sharifov - Lost to Conyedo (Snyder's quarters) this past June in Poland in R1.

R8: Odikadze - Lost to Karadeniz (Snyder's semis) this past April at European Championships in semis

Semis: Salas - Lost to Snyder 11-1 in 2020 Pan-Ams finals (he doesn't appear to have competed elsewhere in 2021)

Sharifov/Odikadze/Salas are 33, 32, 34 and on the downside of their careers while Conyedo is 27 and Karendeniz is 26 and will likely be collecting more medals over the next quad than those older vets (Conyedo alerady has 2 World/Olympic bronzes and Karendeniz has a Euro gold/silver).

5 minutes ago, hbluejr said:

Too much has been made of Synder's draw, imo.  Maybe based on name recognition Sadulaev had the "much tougher" draw, but not based on recent results. 

R16: Sharifov - Lost to Conyedo (Snyder's quarters) this past June in Poland in R1.

R8: Odikadze - Lost to Karadeniz (Snyder's semis) this past April at European Championships in semis

Semis: Salas - Lost to Snyder 11-1 in 2020 Pan-Ams finals (he doesn't appear to have competed elsewhere in 2021)

Sharifov/Odikadze/Salas are 33, 32, 34 and on the downside of their careers while Conyedo is 27 and Karendeniz is 26 and will likely be collecting more medals over the next quad than those older vets (Conyedo alerady has 2 World/Olympic bronzes and Karendeniz has a Euro gold/silver).

I agree with this. I've already said on another thread that I felt 97 kg was like 86 kg, super top heavy. Both weights were really about two guys. If you define toughest weight as in toughest to win, it's clearly 97 because Sadulaev is the P4P best. But neither is a deep weight.

But back to the topic at hand, I was just underwhelmed with Snyder's performance against Sadulaev. Did not see any glimmer of hope or difference in ability relative to Sadulaev. If we're going to call out NLWC's greatness (it deserves special mention, for sure), Snyder isn't a meaningful example of its greatness. Gilman is.

18 hours ago, hbluejr said:

This. Been talking about this with others. And if you actually watched the bracket, Sharifov and Salas did not at all look Uber inspiring through the tournament. 

There was no better half. As said it’s sadulaev/Snyder then everyone else. 

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Weren't there Dake to NLWC rumors before?   I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen...

In his interview on Flo he only committed through Oslo. He talked a lot about how important good training partners were and losing Dean was tough to replace. I could see him moving to State College for the training partners alone. 

21 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Oh dude, was that tournament during ramadan?

Lol…yeah that puts sadulaev on a whole other level.  Means he (potentially) wrestled the whole tournament with no food or water.  

That is so very badass.