Lurker

Zeke Jones and Brandon Slay

13 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Some RTC’s seem to be working well for foreign delegations as well.

If you mean NLWC, then the presence of those foreign athletes likely helps our athletes get a better feel for the international style.  If you mean Michigan, then I agree and think they should be warned or defunded for their antics. 

11 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If you mean NLWC, then the presence of those foreign athletes likely helps our athletes get a better feel for the international style.  If you mean Michigan, then I agree and think they should be warned or defunded for their antics. 

Good for me but not for thee

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Are NLWC and CKWC actually RTCs? The published rules for RTCs preclude having foreign athletes for more than occasional training opportunities.

This is a good question. I think it's been discussed before - can someone offer a recap?

We performed great. I could not have hoped for much better overall. Here’s how I see it. 

Dake underperformed expectations but I saw him as silver maybe gold. There’s no way I thought he was a lock for a gold. I know a lot of people thought otherwise but Sidhakov beat so many guys so many times there was no argument for a lock. 

Gilman outperformed. He was a most likely DNP given overall prior performance. That’s even taking his silver into consideration.  

Taylor was at par. He was a favorite for but given Yazdani he was by no means a lock and we had to realistically believe a silver could happen. 

Snyder was at par with serious possibility of a bronze. He got a great draw and then did was expected and no one should have bet on Snyder without at least 4.5:1 odds. 

Gable way outperformed expectations. Anyone who wants to say they knew he would win should not be a professional gambler. We had no idea how he would do against the likes of two super talented and heavily decorated heavyweights. He had wrestled exactly one international senior level event and had arguably one of the most difficult weight classes with Geno and Akgul having one the weight each of the last six years with Geno never dominating Akgul. Gable had to beat them both including Akgul in the quarters. Gable crushed it and now I’d bet heavily on him to win it again. A silver or bronze or even a DNP would not have shocked me  

Conclusion: we outperformed in three weight classes (57kg, 125kg) underperformed at one (84kg) and were par in two (86kg and 97kg). 

34 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Gilman outperformed. He was a most likely DNP given overall prior performance. That’s even taking his silver into consideration.  

World Silver in 17.  Ranking Series gold medals from ’18 Yasar Dogu and ’20 Matteo Pellicone as well bronze medals from the ’19 Ivan Yariguin and ’18 Pan American Championships.  21 Deglane bronze.  Several wins over world medalists in the last 4 years.  How tf is that a likely DNP?

14 minutes ago, olddirty said:

World Silver in 17.  Ranking Series gold medals from ’18 Yasar Dogu and ’20 Matteo Pellicone as well bronze medals from the ’19 Ivan Yariguin and ’18 Pan American Championships.  21 Deglane bronze.  Several wins over world medalists in the last 4 years.  How tf is that a likely DNP?

I’m aware of all that. Because it’s a tough weight class and he hadn’t been a closer.