Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Hayden Tuma

hope not. should go right to the usoec and start greco full time.

Yea, lets have a top talent display his abilities in front of dozens a few times a year. Great way to build an interested base, other than his family and friends...

Yea, lets have a top talent display his abilities in front of dozens a few times a year. Great way to build an interested base, other than his family and friends...

interest base, i'm sensing sarcasm. here's more. recommend a kid doesn't take an opportunity to train with the best in the country, compete in a style he likes the best, travel the world for free and strive become the best in the world so 10,000 people can watch him try to be an ncaa champ.

interest base, i'm sensing sarcasm. here's more. recommend a kid doesn't take an opportunity to train with the best in the country, compete in a style he likes the best, travel the world for free and strive become the best in the world so 10,000 people can watch him try to be an ncaa champ.

It's probably been thirty years or more since only 10,000 attended NCAA's.

What makes you think college and post college international success are mutually exclusive? Varner, Burroughs, Herbert, Sanderson, Dlagnev, Neal, McCoy, Gutches, Jackson, etc. vs one and done Cejudo?

ccrider55:

All of those guys you mentioned compete(d) in freestyle, which is more similar to folkstyle than Greco-Roman is. If you want to be a Greco-Roman champion, it is reasonable to consider training in that style in college.

There will be interest in NCAAs whether any particular kid competes in college or not. Kids should follow their own best interests.

ccrider55:

All of those guys you mentioned compete(d) in freestyle, which is more similar to folkstyle than Greco-Roman is. If you want to be a Greco-Roman champion, it is reasonable to consider training in that style in college.

There will be interest in NCAAs whether any particular kid competes in college or not. Kids should follow their own best interests.

I don't think participating in more than one style of a particular sport necessarily hurts one, or even keeps him from focusing for a significant amount of time on the style of choice. In swimming we know which events are a particular athletes best, but most still compete in the four different strokes. (I think backstroke and butterfly differ more than FS and GR, especially post 2004)

Does a kid, or anyone else really (Nostradamus?) , know what is/will be in his best interest while he is not yet half way through HS? Could he have conflicting "best" interests? Jackie Robinson's fourth best sport seemed to work out for him, the sport, and the country. The Bambino won so many games as a pitcher before going to the NYY and giving thet up that Felix Hernandez just passed his win total last week. How many larger wrestlers give up wrestling believing the fantasy of an NFL contract is in their interest? Or smaller ones, believing early in HS they may grow and hit the "lottery".

So, once again, if I want to be a Greco-Roman champion, I should concentrate on folkstyle, right?

Because there are only a few dozen fans in Greco.

No. How can you know he won't want to be a FS champ in a couple years? Usane Bolt was slotted as a 400 meter man, but continued to do the short sprints. That worked out.

Participate in wrestling. Enjoy its various styles. Grow, improve, develop, and mature. I'm glad Mark Schultz didn't have his future prescribed for him at the same age. We might have had an exceptional gymnast (NorCal region all around champ as a HS soph), but he'd never have even started wrestling.

It could be argued that the best thing that wrestlers can do for the international styles in the US is to continue in the only style that has any broad support here. The only association a general sports fan has with the sport genericly termed amateur wrestling is the familiarity their scholastic and collegiate, experience, history and fandom have provided. That provides more interest in the international (small as it is). It doesn't work in reverse. It certainly can't if wrestlers limit themselves to only one style, that few watch, fewer can understand, and no one knows what future rules may govern, if it even continues to exist in the event many discribed as the singular goal to sacrifice everything for.

I don't know anything about this kid, and I wouldn't presume to tell him what to do. My point is this -- a kid needs to do what's in his own best interests, as he perceives them. Generally speaking, specializing in your specialty leads to the best results -- in your specialty.

We have far better participation in wrestling in this country than Ossetia does, for example. That tiny region outperforms our country on the world stage in freestyle almost every year. I'm confident that the United States would outperform Ossetia in folkstyle, if that were the style in which wrestlers competed internationally.

I don't know anything about this kid, and I wouldn't presume to tell him what to do. My point is this -- a kid needs to do what's in his own best interests, as he perceives them. Generally speaking, specializing in your specialty leads to the best results -- in your specialty.

We have far better participation in wrestling in this country than Ossetia does, for example. That tiny region outperforms our country on the world stage in freestyle almost every year. I'm confident that the United States would outperform Ossetia in folkstyle, if that were the style in which wrestlers competed internationally.

I agree with the exception that I don't believe a kid knows his own best interest, only his desire of the moment (many adults don't either ;) ). I also dont know him other than his results. He and other kids who are showing exceptional success at a young age I presume are doing all three styles. Who's to say it isn't that training that has enabled their success? Beyond styles within a sport I've always advocated for multi sport participation. It seems silly to close doors to other endeavors at such young ages. And in my experience every successful wrestler I've coached was a multi sport athlete at least through their jr year of HS. Talking to a few of them decades later, many of their best memories involve their other interest, not strictly wrestling.

i have no problem with a kid wrestling in college or wrestling folkstyle. i think it's silly if a kid, high school or younger, doesn't wrestle all three every chance he gets.

any kid that has the chance, that this kid has, to wrestle around the world should take advantage of it. the social, cultural, educational and athletic advancement opportunities should not be taken lightly or passed up.

This whole discussion is quite laughable to me and those who know who his coach is. Freestyle and collegiate are not his path he is being groomed by one of the best coaches in the "world" And hands down the best coach in the United States, Ivon Ivanov from Bulgaria to be a Greco-Roman world and Olympic champion.