Katie

US male p4p top five

1. DT — Great technique, and his match management was outstanding. He knew when to pour it on, and when to be cautious.

2. Gable — Super impressive performance, especially from a student-athlete who focused mostly on folkstyle in the past year. It’s crazy to think that he still has plenty of room to improve.

3. Snyder — He earned the number two seed, and soundly beat everyone put in front of him not named Sadulaev. 

4. Gilman — Wrestled very well. So close to beating Uguev.

5. Dake — Wrestled very well, minus the Kadzi loss — which I suspect is a hiccup. Kadzi came prepared to counter the bodylock, and Dake wasn’t ready for that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dake beat him next time.

EDIT #1: This list is based on what I saw in Tokyo.

EDIT #2: This list is limited to male freestylers. 

Edited by Katie

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

he is without a doubt P4P until next week when he makes his money...

There is a doubt. He was 0.5 seconds away from not even winning the match. Taylor was close as well though, so I completely understand ranking Gable 1. I just also think putting Taylor 1 is reasonable as well. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

There is a doubt. He was 0.5 seconds away from not even winning the match. Taylor was close as well though, so I completely understand ranking Gable 1. I just also think putting Taylor 1 is reasonably as well. 

i will not argue that...

the only thing i would say is that if gable was to compete for another quad (triad???) he would remove all doubt...

they are both pretty good at this wrestling stuff...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i will not argue that...

the only thing i would say is that if gable was to compete for another quad (triad???) he would remove all doubt...

they are both pretty good at this wrestling stuff...

With that I do not disagree. He could be considered P4P #1 in the entire world 3 years from now if he continues. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

35 minutes ago, Katie said:

1. DT — Great technique, and his match management was outstanding. He knew when to pour it on, and when to be cautious.

2. Gable — Super impressive performance, especially from a student-athlete who focused mostly on folkstyle in the past year. It’s crazy to think that he still has plenty of room to improve.

3. Snyder — He earned the number two seed, and soundly beat everyone put in front of him not named Sadulaev. 

4. Gilman — Wrestled very well. So close to beating Uguev.

5. Dake — Wrestled very well, minus the Kadzi loss — which I suspect is a hiccup. Kadzi came prepared to counter the chestlock, and Dake wasn’t ready for that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dake beat him next time.

EDIT: This is based on what I saw in Tokyo.

This list simply tracks who won the best medals. D'uh!

Gable didn’t just beat Geno. That was a ridiculously fun match but not Gable’s best. He also made Akgul want to quit—not the match but the sport: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/wrestling-rio-gold-medalist-akgul-says-mulled-quitting-after-tokyo-defeat-2021-08-07/

His domination of a reigning Olympic champion will go down as the best coming out at party ever. It was preposterous when you consider who was getting rag-dolled and who was doing the rag-dolling. That has to put Gable at the top. I know this is an opinion topic, but the only valid opinion is Gable #1!

1. DT (zero negatives other than being 30, would be clear cut #1 if not for that. Top 2-3 in the world P4P.  Has no losses since 2017)

1a. Gable (only 21 but needs to work on his par terre, could possible be #2 P4P in the world very soon)

3. J'Den (1 loss since 2018, reigning 2x World Champion and still only 26)

4. Dake (exactly the same as J'Den except he is 30)

5. Snyder 

Edited by DocBZ

3 hours ago, DocBZ said:

1. DT (zero negatives other than being 30, would be clear cut #1 if not for that. Top 2-3 in the world P4P.  Has no losses since 2017)

1a. Gable (only 21 but needs to work on his par terre, could possible be #2 P4P in the world very soon)

3. J'Den (1 loss since 2018, reigning 2x World Champion and still only 26)

4. Dake (exactly the same as J'Den except he is 30)

5. Snyder 

You realize that J'Den lost two matches at the Poland Open in June 2021, right?

24 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

You realize that J'Den lost two matches at the Poland Open in June 2021, right?

Cry me a river. Snyder has lost 5 matches in the same time frame

Edited by DocBZ

5 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Gable didn’t just beat Geno. That was a ridiculously fun match but not Gable’s best. He also made Akgul want to quit—not the match but the sport: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/wrestling-rio-gold-medalist-akgul-says-mulled-quitting-after-tokyo-defeat-2021-08-07/

His domination of a reigning Olympic champion will go down as the best coming out at party ever. It was preposterous when you consider who was getting rag-dolled and who was doing the rag-dolling. That has to put Gable at the top. I know this is an opinion topic, but the only valid opinion is Gable #1!

If you haven't clicked on Nerd's link above - you really should. After my 1st and only visit to Turkey, I've admired the way they respect wrestling and wrestlers - both their own and their competitors as well. We still have much to learn from our international friends.

The take away here is that even in the most elite wrestling group of top-level beasts, Gable still stands out as being special. 

This entire post is a contradiction. US P4P Top 5, and then it says "This is based on what I saw in Tokyo." I've got news for you sunshine, the P4P top 5 is not based on one tournament, even as important as the Olympics is. 

Gilman outperformed Snyder in Tokyo. Snyder had a cakewalk to the finals. Gilman lost by one point to the Gold Medalist in the first round and went on to destroy everyone else on the other side of the mat. 

1. Gable. He is the man. Only wish here is that he doesn't quit right away in the pursuit of $$$

2. Snyder. Lost to the #1 P4P without question and made Sadulaev work for it. Sadulaev is the best wrestler I have seen since the likes of B Satiev. 

3. Dake. Beat Burroughs but fell against a red hot Belrusian. Beat 2x champ chamizo for bronze and has multiple wins over Taylor and Burroughs.

4. Cox. Make weight dude, please. Dropped down on the totem pole ranking a little bit still a 2x world champ/bronze and has wins over Taylor and Dake.

5. Taylor. Beat Yazdani in a great match. 86 kg is weak. Has lost multiple times to Cox and Dake, and barely beat Burroughs with a ~10 pound advantage. 

6. Burroughs. Getting a little long in the tooth by athletic standards but still a 5x world champ and how many time bronze now. Still has a few more medals in him, maybe a title or two at 79.

7. Gilman. Silver and now bronze looking like he could have beat the champ with just a little more savvy. very nice performance this week from Thomas.

8. Amine. bronze medal at olympics, not for USA but still very nice. Counting him for sake of the list.

9. Gwiz/Green/JO/iMar. Could see some results here at the upcoming world championships I think. Especially if fully healthy.

10 (HM). Spencer Lee, Suriano, Fix, Yianni, Nick Lee, Zain, Pantaleo, Nolf, Lewis, Zahid, Moore. The up and comers. big things await (hopefully)

Who did I miss?

I think there's a big misunderstanding about what P4P means. If you made all of our Olympians the same size and wrestled them off, Gable gets 5th. His greatness is that he can do what he does at his size that other heavies can't. Every guy in the tournament at 74kg can do what Gable does; he just does it at 125kg which makes it very impressive.

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

I think there's a big misunderstanding about what P4P means. If you made all of our Olympians the same size and wrestled them off, Gable gets 5th. His greatness is that he can do what he does at his size that other heavies can't. Every guy in the tournament at 74kg can do what Gable does; he just does it at 125kg which makes it very impressive.

And if Gable was a 57 he would bulldoze everyone so cut this stupid argument right now.

15 hours ago, LJB said:

Agree, but to quote one wise poster "Don't count your GOATs before they hatch." Remember: Snyder was the youngest ever; nothing could stop him. Once Burroughs got past Tsargush, nothing could stop him from John Smithing his way through the next 6 years... not even a broken ankle. 

Edited by jackwebster

7 hours ago, Perry said:

1. Gable. He is the man. Only wish here is that he doesn't quit right away in the pursuit of $$$

2. Snyder. Lost to the #1 P4P without question and made Sadulaev work for it. Sadulaev is the best wrestler I have seen since the likes of B Satiev. 

3. Dake. Beat Burroughs but fell against a red hot Belrusian. Beat 2x champ chamizo for bronze and has multiple wins over Taylor and Burroughs.

4. Cox. Make weight dude, please. Dropped down on the totem pole ranking a little bit still a 2x world champ/bronze and has wins over Taylor and Dake.

5. Taylor. Beat Yazdani in a great match. 86 kg is weak. Has lost multiple times to Cox and Dake, and barely beat Burroughs with a ~10 pound advantage. 

6. Burroughs. Getting a little long in the tooth by athletic standards but still a 5x world champ and how many time bronze now. Still has a few more medals in him, maybe a title or two at 79.

7. Gilman. Silver and now bronze looking like he could have beat the champ with just a little more savvy. very nice performance this week from Thomas.

8. Amine. bronze medal at olympics, not for USA but still very nice. Counting him for sake of the list.

9. Gwiz/Green/JO/iMar. Could see some results here at the upcoming world championships I think. Especially if fully healthy.

10 (HM). Spencer Lee, Suriano, Fix, Yianni, Nick Lee, Zain, Pantaleo, Nolf, Lewis, Zahid, Moore. The up and comers. big things await (hopefully)

Who did I miss?

Taylor has to be ahead of Cox, he’s done what Cox couldn’t do twice now. Won gold at a much tougher Olympic weight. 

4 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Taylor has to be ahead of Cox, he’s done what Cox couldn’t do twice now. Won gold at a much tougher Olympic weight. 

Would like to see this on a ppv in the future. Taylor probably walks around at or a little above 92, so could be a great tune-up for both before 2022 worlds.

Edited by bnwtwg