buckeye97

2024 - Will Dake and Taylor be too old?

Given his recent Instagram post about giving 2024 a run, I think JB at 86 kg is a real possibility. As an older guy, making the cut to 74 kg, a much tougher weight, makes less sense than 86 kg. He is right there with DT. He will lose a step every year but still be the quickest guy at 86.

After watching DT’s Tokyo matches and the OTTs, I’m convinced he was “training through” the JB match. Fresh DT flattens JB, I think.

Also, unless Zahid solves his woeful gas tank, AB will surpass him, and soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dunno. You’d think DT would have been training through Dake as well, but he’s 0-11.

A meaningless match for $$$ vs WTTs/OTTs.

I don’t think you quite understand the term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem like people are giving DT the credit he deserves for taking out the guy who everyone thought was best in the world behind Sad. If DT was not there, Yaz would be undefeated and 2x only champ. I remember a majority of people said his first win (pin) against Yaz was a fluke. Obviously not. He has beaten him every way possible. Maybe David just needed to let himself grow into his best self at 86. As a person who cut a lot of weight during college, I wish I allowed myself to be healthy up a weight or two. 

6 hours ago, scribe said:

There is actually no one not crediting David Taylor for his gold medal and win over yaz. 

I feel like I should deny DT credit just so Wrestlingshoe can lament my denial. But no, full credit to DT!

15 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Given his recent Instagram post about giving 2024 a run, I think JB at 86 kg is a real possibility. As an older guy, making the cut to 74 kg, a much tougher weight, makes less sense than 86 kg. He is right there with DT. He will lose a step every year but still be the quickest guy at 86.

I don't know if he can beat Taylor, but I have to think JB is going to 86 for 2024.     I think his exhibition matches at 86 were him testing the waters to see if he thought it was realistic if he put on some weight.

I sure hope there are some young blood names in the lineup for 2024.  Some 20-23 year old (or 2 or 3).  Good for team vitality and shows further progression in the pipeline. 

Edited by nom

Order of these guys competing for a spot in 2024, from most likely to least likely

1. Snyder- He's really young still
2. Taylor- Doesn't seem ready to step aside and only coach
3. Dake- He will compete, but injuries have been an issue for him in the past.
4. Gilman- He'll be 30, still has some left in his tank
5. Gable- unfortunately he will be in the WWE unless Novagratiz pays him

I think we'll get 1-4 at least trying to make the team in 2024.

Competitors to watch for
57- Lee, Suriano, Vito, Fix..and others
65- Lee, Retherford, JO, Yianni, McKenna, etc
74- Carr and Nolf if JB goes up
86- JB, Valencia, Brooks
97- Cox(added), Ferrari and Moore
125- Parris, Gwiz, Kerkvliet

Edited by BobDole
Added Cox

i don't think that JB would be competitive at 86KG, he's too small for the weight. 

i also believe Gilman is our guy for 2024, i think the move to NLWC has made him a much better wrestler. as much love as Lee gets, he first needs to make a name for himself on the Sr. level which Gilman clearly has done.

12 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

any word on whether Yazdani or Sadulaev will continue through the next cycle, that could also have implications on some of these guys' decisions, Snyder in particular?

Sadulaev's coach stated to the Russian media that Sadulaev will definitely go for another Olympic gold.

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Sadulaev's coach stated to the Russian media that Sadulaev will definitely go for another Olympic gold.

makes sense, at 25 he's much too young to retire and Russians wrestle for a long time typically. Not good for the Americans!

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

Order of these guys competing for a spot in 2024, from most likely to least likely

1. Snyder- He's really young still
2. Taylor- Doesn't seem ready to step aside and only coach
3. Dake- He will compete, but injuries have been an issue for him in the past.
4. Gilman- He'll be 30, still has some left in his tank
5. Gable- unfortunately he will be in the WWE unless Novagratiz pays him

I think we'll get 1-4 at least trying to make the team in 2024.

Competitors to watch for
57- Lee, Suriano, Vito, Fix..and others
65- Lee, Retherford, JO, Yianni, McKenna, etc
74- Carr and Nolf if JB goes up
86- JB, Valencia, Brooks
97- Ferrari and Moore
125- Parris, Gwiz, Kerkvliet

Cox?

I would love to see Spencer Lee getting after it at the trials and on the Senior Circuit. But I think with his knee injury we probably won’t see him wrestling Freestyle until next Spring or Summer.