5 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

This is a very dangerous decision :

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111402/ioc-passes-charter-changes-weightlifting

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

May sound spooky, and maybe opens a door to some scary possibilities, but I highly encourage you to do some research into the universe of the sport of weightlifting over the past two or so years.  

It is corruption of a sort that makes FIFA look squeeky clean, corruption that calls for joe pesci and robert deniro to be in the movie reenactment.

Unilateral powers are bad, but the way that is worded will make much more sense after a half hour of googling and youtubing.

11 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I agree - the stated intent may be good but the IOC is not to be trusted.  They are far to corrupt.

21 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

This is a very dangerous decision :

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111402/ioc-passes-charter-changes-weightlifting

https://www.allthingsgym.com/lord-of-the-lifters-herr-der-heber-german-documentary-investigating-the-iwf-and-doping/

For reference for the people.

tldr: inaction and or/or complicity on the part of the IWF as countries systematically administer doping regimes to 12-13 year old kids in their national weightlifting programs

Edited by Drew87

I'm sure this is all true, but on the local level this was not ever an issue. Misuse of funds seems to be an popular problem with a lot of the top people in these situations. Then shaded elections to secure more power. Not an unusual scenario.

The real problem is here:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111347/ioc-charter

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board will be given the power to suspend sports from the Olympic programme without approval from the Session under changes being proposed to the Charter."

2 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board will be given the power to suspend sports from the Olympic programme without approval from the Session under changes being proposed to the Charter."

This adds too the problem rather than solve the other.  So there needs to be some sort of checks and balances for the decision of the IOC. 

15 minutes ago, southend said:

On the other hand, how do you reel in the mavericks, and organizations that corrupt their individual sports? Seems they didn't have any recourse until now.  

This I believe was an issue where the sport itself developed an international system of evading all doping regulations, and it got so big that the IWF became it’s puppet.  

7 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

Don’t disagree at all, especially with wrestling being on seemingly perpetual thin ice.  I just offer this to hopefully allay some fears bc wrestling may have mavericks, but nothing like what was going on in weightlifting.  Please at least watch the video.  It explains a lot.

this is just the IOC enforcing the bare minimum of standards on the sports that what to participate in their event. Wrestling needed to reform to stay in the Games. Boxing went through a similar (but different) process recently. Now weight lighting needs to decide if they want to continue to operate as they are or reform and stay in the Olympics. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the precedent. Wrestling literally helped set it not that long ago.

3 hours ago, grappler111 said:

I think that the ancient sports of Olympic games need to have a permanent place into Olympics. Wrestling, boxing and athletics are simply the history.

I think this was the problem to start with. These “ancient sports” though that they were untouchable. They could operate anyway they see fit.IOC wouldn’t dare drop one of these sports that were the pillar  stone of the Olympics. 

Wrestling would do very well to put itself in a position where young ones find people to look up to and to emulate.

The magic and lore around certain wrestlers really carries the sport.

-Dan Gable
-John Smith
-Cael
-JB
-A combo of Gable/taylor/snyder/dake 

Same for other countries too
-Jordanov, karelin, fadzaev, saitiev, now sadulaev etc.
-hassan Yazdani even though taylor beat him, still a stud
-Reza yazdani, his acl is the reason varner got gold
-folks from the iran news thread please help out here…

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Do we really think that there is a  single 100m sprinter that isn't doping? Same for the distance guys. Read about the Oregon project.  

Do we really think USAW is clean? Stones and glass houses and such

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Do we really think USAW is clean? Stones and glass houses and such

I don't think RTCs are doping like the Oregon project.  But I could be wrong.  But obviously we have seen high profile individuals get popped recently. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't think RTCs are doping like the Oregon project.  But I could be wrong.  But obviously we have seen high profile individuals get popped recently. 

No, i think it would be foolish to think that wrestling, being amongst the most physical sports in the olympics, would be the only one out of the list of highly taxing sports that is clean.

Who got popped?

34 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

No, i think it would be foolish to think that wrestling, being amongst the most physical sports in the olympics, would be the only one out of the list of highly taxing sports that is clean.

Who got popped?

Fix.  I guess not so recently.  

52 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Fix.  I guess not so recently.  

Ah yes, forgot about that.  I guess the real question comes down to your view of competition and humanity.  America is rather unique in believing that, or caring about, “clean” competition.  

It is worth pointing out that we are unique in the world as a culture with very strong, arbitrary and oftentimes hypocritical or capricious morals.  Exogenous hormone supplementation/manipulation in competition falls under this umbrella bc, rather than admitting that we are obsessed with competition even from a young age and maybe that is not so healthy, we put random parameters around our competition and decide that anything outside that is bad instead.  

A combination of the embarrassment of riches we enjoy, a lack of perspective and objectivity.  Most people who compete in the olympics can either compete and use whatever gifts and opportunities they have, or be bitterly poor, they have no other choice.  Few and far between are the athletes that compete and pursue athletics as a hobby in the grand scheme of things.

It doesn't seem like we have the will to enforce the rules we make.  If the IWF or a different organization won't follow the rules, it is bad to hold them accountable?  We will probably never have that will. Look at the slap on the wrist Russia got for the ultimate cheat.

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It doesn't seem like we have the will to enforce the rules we make.  If the IWF or a different organization won't follow the rules, it is bad to hold them accountable?  We will probably never have that will. Look at the slap on the wrist Russia got for the ultimate cheat.

In the US ,the local level of weight lifting , that includes the big events us open , nationals and others,Disqualification from substance use is enforced. I’m not privy to outside of US.  But evidently it was found to be a huge issue that couldn’t be corralled by the IOC. Thus we creat another possible problem.