Eagle26

What percentage of Olympic gold medalists wrestle in Worlds?

I’m talking worldwide here… I feel like there will be little incentive for them to compete so soon and they will likely be enjoying the rewards of their Olympic gold medal. I’d guess less than 50% will compete… hope I’m wrong though. In men’s freestyle, I could see DT because he likes to compete and wants to add to his legacy. Maybe Sadulaev will be going for GOAT and wants to add to his gold medal count. I’m not sure if the others will though? I’m thinking even some of the bronze and silver medalists will be taking a break or retiring, but more of them would have incentive to go for the gold. Thoughts?

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

I think 4 of our Oly reps will wrestle worlds. No benefit for Gable unless he wants to stay in the real wrestling world (which would be a huge shock). Taylor wants as many medals as he can get and he's getting old so can't miss another opportunity. Snyder/Dake have something to prove and Gilman is a gamer, is guaranteed the spot, and has to feel like gold is within reach after his Olympic performance.

No clue on what the participation from the rest of the world will be like.

We emphasize legacy so much in America I expect everyone but Gable to compete.
But no I don't see Russia sending it's A team.
Or guys like Yazdani.
I bet we see one of the big names at 125kg

It's all guessing who knows.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

We emphasize legacy so much in America I expect everyone but Gable to compete.
But no I don't see Russia sending it's A team.
Or guys like Yazdani.
I bet we see one of the big names at 125kg

It's all guessing who knows.

Yaz has said in an interview after the match he may be there, but I would not be surprised if he rests. But as of right now the plan is for him to be there. I would like him to rest though, his number 2 is a better style match up to Taylor.

Wonder what Russia will do.

Pretty sure Coach Tedeev said something like Sadulaev will just be focusing on the next Olympic cycle. I doubt Sadulaev will wrestle in this year‘s world championship. 

Edited by 2td3nf

58 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Pretty sure Coach Tedeev said something like Sadulaev will just be focusing on the next Olympic cycle. I doubt Sadulaev will wrestle in this year‘s world championship. 

Will probably send their B team and still smoke the majority

27 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

We have always talked about it, now it’s time to see it out to action. As a use case I’m excited, but as a US wrestling fan I’m scared of the outcome and its implications.

41 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Their A team did not really smoke out the majority in the Olympics.  They got 2 golds which is impressive, and respectable, but not quite in the category of "smoking everyone else"

29 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

We have always talked about it, now it’s time to see it out to action. As a use case I’m excited, but as a US wrestling fan I’m scared of the outcome and its implications.

Not sure there would be any implications. It won't change the fact that they can only send one rep to worlds/Olympics. Sure, they could brag about it in a language none of us understand, but what do we care?

15 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Not sure there would be any implications. It won't change the fact that they can only send one rep to worlds/Olympics. Sure, they could brag about it in a language none of us understand, but what do we care?

I was implying that the Russian B team could very well kick our A team’s ass at Oslo. So yes I care very much as a USA wrestling fan.

1 hour ago, irani said:

Their A team did not really smoke out the majority in the Olympics.  They got 2 golds which is impressive, and respectable, but not quite in the category of "smoking everyone else"

He was talking about Russia, who had 3 golds and 5 medals from 6 weights and routinely wins worlds easily with or without their top lineup.

3 minutes ago, maligned said:

He was talking about Russia, who had 3 golds and 5 medals from 6 weights and routinely wins worlds easily with or without their top lineup.

Thanks.  I am aware that he was talking about Russia.

My point, although I misstated the facts, was that Russia did not smoke USA, they both had very impressive results, and Russia edged US by bit.

Both countries goes 5 medals with 5 wrestlers, which is impressive as well.

Will Gilman compete instead of getting his foot healed/fixed? Couple months is still a while and those types of injuries you don't really want to mess with.

Gilman looked pretty darn good on his foot. Plus, he has a great shot at winning the world championship… If Uguev shows up, he has a chance for revenge in a winnable match, and if he does not, Gilman should be considered the favorite for gold. I can’t imagine him passing that up.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Living the Dream pays $50,000 for world gold, $25,000 for silver, and $15,000 for bronze. Seems like a good incentive for the US wrestlers to show up to what could be a diminished field. Even if Gable wants to move on to something else, is there any scenario where he gets less than bronze? Why not stay in wrestling for literally two months for a great shot at $50,000?

12 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Living the Dream pays $50,000 for world gold, $25,000 for silver, and $15,000 for bronze. Seems like a good incentive for the US wrestlers to show up to what could be a diminished field. Even if Gable wants to move on to something else, is there any scenario where he gets less than bronze? Why not stay in wrestling for literally two months for a great shot at $50,000?

Gable should win even with a full field, but the $50K is very little incentive for a guy who will have much more lucrative opportunities after the miraculous run he just had. The risk of tainting his image by not winning gold outweighs the $50K. I'm not saying Gable even thinks this way; I'm sure he is 100% sure he'd win. But he may have moved on to the next phase of his life already in his mind. There's much more to lose than gain by going. A 1x Olympic champ and 1x World champ is not more marketable outside of wrestling than a 1x Olympic champ.

4 hours ago, irani said:

3 golds. 2 bronze. Better than the one of the best performances of USA wrestling history, but is overlooked cause it just seems "the standard". That speaks for itself.

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

3 golds. 2 bronze. Better than the one of the best performances of USA wrestling history, but is overlooked cause it just seems "the standard". That speaks for itself.

agreed they were the best team, agreed they were impressive, disagree that they smoked every one.  US got 2 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze. Almost the the same as Russia

So I watched an interview of Gilman and he said that he hasn’t made up his mind yet. Also Chris Pyles said in his Olympic recap that Kyle Snyder did confirm that he was going to the World’s. 

7 minutes ago, irani said:

agreed they were the best team, agreed they were impressive, disagree that they smoked every one.  US got 2 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze. Almost the the same as Russia

I was actually talking about a hypothetical B team coming to the worlds and smoking everyone which obviously is a bit of hyperbole. Wasn't talking about olympics was just pointing out that they won 3 gold when you had said 2.

But if you wanna talk about the Olympics, if you look at Iran and USA as the main two wrestling nations behind Russia then at 57kg Uguev beats both Iran and USA. 65kg USA doesn't rep and Iran places 8th compared to Russia bronze. 74kg gold, Iran no place and Dake teched by a Dagestani and doesn't get to face Sidakov. 97kg Sad over Snyder.

Only at 125kg does USA and Iran tower over Russia and at 86kg where both Iran and US beat Naifonov.

As a collective Russia is solidddd. I don't really see any country close to them.

Gable should win even with a full field, but the $50K is very little incentive for a guy who will have much more lucrative opportunities after the miraculous run he just had. The risk of tainting his image by not winning gold outweighs the $50K. I'm not saying Gable even thinks this way; I'm sure he is 100% sure he'd win. But he may have moved on to the next phase of his life already in his mind. There's much more to lose than gain by going. A 1x Olympic champ and 1x World champ is not more marketable outside of wrestling than a 1x Olympic champ.

What are these lucrative opportunities that make $50K no big deal? Is it WWE? There is no guarantee he makes it big there. Wrestling is a niche sport and the news cycle will roll on. Something like 25 American athletes won individual gold medals at the Olympics. I hope he does make it big, but he has the chance to make $50K just to keep in shape and train for two months. It's a good return and if the worst happens, nobody will cast him aside because he is "only" a gold medalist.

6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I was implying that the Russian B team could very well kick our A team’s ass at Oslo. So yes I care very much as a USA wrestling fan.

Who on Russia's B team is beating one of our #1's?  Although the Russian B's would be competitive in all of the matches against our #1's except for 125 kg if we have Gable, I can only see Zhamalov beating Dake and Shakiev beating JO.  If we're including the non-Olympic weights, then their B's would also beat our starters at 61kg and 70kg.