Jimmy Cinnabon

HYPO: If Taylor retired and wanted to coach...

Honestly, I would be VERY surprised if a big name school took him with ZERO official coaching experience.  If DI Head Coaching is actually something he eventually wants to do, he needs to latch on somewhere as an assistant coach SOON to get some official experience.  He can keep training, but would have the experience on the resume.  The problem is, he would almost assuredly need to go somewhere OTHER than PSU as I don't see them cutting ANYONE from that All Star Staff to make room for him.  Unless, MAYBE, they get creative and move one of them to strictly NLWC(God knows they have enough money to pay one of them for now) and let Taylor on staff.

But, I truly don't see that benefitting PSU, as I see Cael staying on for quite some time and I doubt Taylor would want to stay being the 3rd assistant for that long(since he is already in his 30's).  With that in mind, I don't know why PSU would want to juggle a great winning formula to inevitably groom Taylor to become a Head Coach somewhere else.

With all that and the fact he is already in his 30's without official coaching experience, does he even want to be a HC when he retires from competition????

While I think prior coaching experience is very helpful, I don’t think it’s a necessity.  I am sure he has seen a lot as he has been around for quite some time.  Further, if he had interest in coaching I am sure he has picked Cael’s and Casey’s brains.

He also might be such a catch for a school serous about wrestling to give him enough money to poach an assistant from another place.

The question is if the unicorn can out recruit the king.

I think he’s comfortable doing the M2 thing for now.

I could see Cael retiring, Casey being HC for a while, DT coming on as assistant. Maybe Cael will run the NLWC if/when Casey and DT’s daughters go to PSU. Casey retires, DT becomes HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A smaller university would if he wanted to. Like if he called up Sacred Heart or Ohio or Buffalo, somewhere like that and said he would become their head coach for whatever they paid the current guy, I'm sure they would take him. 

1 hour ago, Sstern said:

While I think prior coaching experience is very helpful, I don’t think it’s a necessity.  I am sure he has seen a lot as he has been around for quite some time.  Further, if he had interest in coaching I am sure he has picked Cael’s and Casey’s brains.

He also might be such a catch for a school serous about wrestling to give him enough money to poach an assistant from another place.

The question is if the unicorn can out recruit the king.

I wasn't saying it was a necessity for all of DI, but I sure think it would be for the top 10 schools or so.  Taylor has a big name, but he would be a very BIG risk when he is so obviously unproven at a rather advanced age...

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I wasn't saying it was a necessity for all of DI, but I sure think it would be for the top 10 schools or so.  Taylor has a big name, but he would be a very BIG risk when he is so obviously unproven at a rather advanced age...

I mean, what is unproven? He is a 4x NCAA Finalist, World Champ, Olympic Champ, all while running a very successful youth and high school training program and traveling around doing clinics all over the place. He has been under one of the greatest coaches in NCAA Wrestling history, and one of the greatest staffs in NCAA Wrestling history. He has plenty of experience being around a program that is as successful as it gets during his time there. He will be able to recruit really well, he is likeable in the spotlight, and from his clinics and practices he has run that I have been around, he is a great coach. He is also about to be one of the faces of USA Wrestling, and I am sure with that comes some responsibilities that could relate to his non-coaching duties such as PR and marketing. 

24 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

I mean, what is unproven? He is a 4x NCAA Finalist, World Champ, Olympic Champ, all while running a very successful youth and high school training program and traveling around doing clinics all over the place. He has been under one of the greatest coaches in NCAA Wrestling history, and one of the greatest staffs in NCAA Wrestling history. He has plenty of experience being around a program that is as successful as it gets during his time there. He will be able to recruit really well, he is likeable in the spotlight, and from his clinics and practices he has run that I have been around, he is a great coach. He is also about to be one of the faces of USA Wrestling, and I am sure with that comes some responsibilities that could relate to his non-coaching duties such as PR and marketing. 

Yeah but does he know when to throw the challenge brick?

16 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

Seriously?  Did you really just ask that first question?  First off, being a great wrestler IN NO WAY guarantees you will be a great coach, let alone even a good one.  Secondly, running a very successful youth and high school training program also does NOT translate.  Izzy has been sensational in that arena and ask anyone that knows if they think he would be a good DI head Coach.

Experience being coached by a great staff and staying around a very successful program is a night and day comparison to actually coaching that very successful program.  Now, I have NO DOUBT that he would be a very successful recruiter, but his lack of establishing himself as a coach all the way into his 30's gives me considerable pause.  Now, to be fair, I would say the same thing about Dake and especially Burroughs.  Running a program isn't for anyone.  Guys like Terry Brands and Casey Cunningham are incredibly highly regarded as mat coaches, but Terry has basically gone on record saying he didn't care for the "CEO" part of it and Casey could have EASILY been a HC a LONG time ago if he wanted.

FInally, I have NO DOUBT that DT, Dake or Burroughs could be great mat coaches at the DI Level, but there just isn't anything to go off that says they would be great Head Coaches...

40 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Seriously?  Did you really just ask that first question?  First off, being a great wrestler IN NO WAY guarantees you will be a great coach, let alone even a good one.  Secondly, running a very successful youth and high school training program also does NOT translate.  Izzy has been sensational in that arena and ask anyone that knows if they think he would be a good DI head Coach.

Experience being coached by a great staff and staying around a very successful program is a night and day comparison to actually coaching that very successful program.  Now, I have NO DOUBT that he would be a very successful recruiter, but his lack of establishing himself as a coach all the way into his 30's gives me considerable pause.  Now, to be fair, I would say the same thing about Dake and especially Burroughs.  Running a program isn't for anyone.  Guys like Terry Brands and Casey Cunningham are incredibly highly regarded as mat coaches, but Terry has basically gone on record saying he didn't care for the "CEO" part of it and Casey could have EASILY been a HC a LONG time ago if he wanted.

FInally, I have NO DOUBT that DT, Dake or Burroughs could be great mat coaches at the DI Level, but there just isn't anything to go off that says they would be great Head Coaches...

Well, in my personal opinion he has all the traits of a successful coach, and not just from his wrestling accomplishments. You don't grow up around one of the top high school wrestling coaches in the country, Jeff Jordan, then move on to the top college coach in the country, and not learn a thing or two about how to develop a great program. His mentors have been top notch at every level. Then you have the fact that he has been under the spotlight his entire life, including making a documentary on his life while still in high school, and has done extremely well with the press. He is great with the mic in his face, he commands a room very well, has a certain cockiness/confidence in his approach to everything he does, and he seems to have the respect of the entire wrestling community. I cannot argue his inexperience, but I can say with certainty, that he has every trait he needs to develop into a great head coach. Of all the top guys on the Senior Level that get brought up as future coaches, Taylor is the one that I believe is a runaway slam dunk hire.

3 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

Well, in my personal opinion he has all the traits of a successful coach, and not just from his wrestling accomplishments. You don't grow up around one of the top high school wrestling coaches in the country, Jeff Jordan, then move on to the top college coach in the country, and not learn a thing or two about how to develop a great program. His mentors have been top notch at every level. Then you have the fact that he has been under the spotlight his entire life, including making a documentary on his life while still in high school, and has done extremely well with the press. He is great with the mic in his face, he commands a room very well, has a certain cockiness/confidence in his approach to everything he does, and he seems to have the respect of the entire wrestling community. I cannot argue his inexperience, but I can say with certainty, that he has every trait he needs to develop into a great head coach. Of all the top guys on the Senior Level that get brought up as future coaches, Taylor is the one that I believe is a runaway slam dunk hire.

Now, remember, I am not arguing that he won't be a great Head Coach.  I am simply pointing out that there is a LOT of risk considering how little actual experience he has coaching at the DI Level.  Again, just like JB and Dake, I wouldn't like that fact that they made it into their 30's without getting DI coaching experience and I would want to see some of that before I would pull the trigger at a top University and fully give him the reigns...

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What school might offer him a head coaching job RIGHT NOW?

Tricky since all the major powerhouses have relatively young entrenched coaches.

Is it true he is looking at an assistant coach job at PSU with plans after a year to pull a CS and push the old washed up head coach out to take over the program?

4 hours ago, snapspinscore said:

Agreed.  Not the biggest DT fan but he checks all the boxes for a future D1 head coach.  Would probably have to be an assistant for a couple years, but he could pick his next job after that.  A crazy situation would be if Ryan "retired" at tOSU and they brought in DT.  

I'd hire David Taylor right now to lead a top program, with a mentoring assistant coach at his side. 

You don't want to lose a guy like David Taylor.  

A few years as an assistant is a great idea, but who gets him first?

It was pretty interesting to me that Cael was only the main corner man for one of them. And that Casey and Cody did the same. Seems they’ve got a good system in place and don’t spread themselves too thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone that wouldn't hire David Taylor b/c of lack of experience is dummy. he'd make for a better HC right now than half the guys right now. 

that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if david never coached in college. (i think he will eventually, but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't)

Edited by Husker_Du

You guys are crazy if you think that a wrestler with his credentials, connections, and mental capacity couldnt find someone capable to advise and run certain aspects of a college team in an interim period that has had previous success at the highest levels of DI coaching.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:34 AM, MSU158 said:

Honestly, I would be VERY surprised if a big name school took him with ZERO official coaching experience.  If DI Head Coaching is actually something he eventually wants to do, he needs to latch on somewhere as an assistant coach SOON to get some official experience.  He can keep training, but would have the experience on the resume.  The problem is, he would almost assuredly need to go somewhere OTHER than PSU as I don't see them cutting ANYONE from that All Star Staff to make room for him.  Unless, MAYBE, they get creative and move one of them to strictly NLWC(God knows they have enough money to pay one of them for now) and let Taylor on staff.

But, I truly don't see that benefitting PSU, as I see Cael staying on for quite some time and I doubt Taylor would want to stay being the 3rd assistant for that long(since he is already in his 30's).  With that in mind, I don't know why PSU would want to juggle a great winning formula to inevitably groom Taylor to become a Head Coach somewhere else.

With all that and the fact he is already in his 30's without official coaching experience, does he even want to be a HC when he retires from competition????

His name would automatically draw in top recruits. talent is still the name of the game.