window12

Gable Steveson- Fork in the road

Clearly Gable Steveson is phenomenal athlete and having won the Freestyle Olympic wrestling Gold for the Heavy weight category, seems to have reached a fork in the road in his early stage  but so far so  fabulously successful career. Staying on the current path has the potential of him becoming an all time  great in the sport of  Wrestling winning multiple World and Olympic titles. The other fork in the road  of going into WWE has the potential to take him into media and Entertainment stardom with him reaching potential height of becoming an Mega Movie star such as the Rock etc.

I was wondering what career path is considered more prestigious and if it was your own son in that fortunate position, which path you would advise him to take?

Personally I think its an intriguing choice and hypothetically not sure what I would suggest to someone in that position..... 

He seems to have the ability to talk things over with the likes of Cormier, Lesnar, Snyder, JB, etc.

If I were him, I’d also talk things over with a doctor who specializes in CTE issues.

I’d add that a career like The Rock’s is certainly no guarantee. 

Edited by Katie

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

I’d add that a career like The Rock’s is certainly no guarantee. 

I agree there is no guarantee of that, but I was thinking about potential or something to aim for. I would have thought there is a good potential of him becoming a well known movie star although I have no clue how good his skills are in that department.

With prestigious being a relative term, let's use famous instead. The best amateur wrestler in America will always be less famous than even a WWE midcarder. 

The thing about choosing a career in amateur wrestling is that it locks you into one thing-wrestling. Very few things in life require the level of devotion to be an Olympic or world champion wrestler. It's basically all or nothing.

With Gable, I get the impression that he wants to be famous. Amateur wrestling isn't the best pathway to fame. I would bet that he opts for WWE/MMA/acting over trying to be the best American wrestler in history.

And what an incredible choice to have to make.  For me the biggest WWE stars (not that I followed it ever) seemed to have more charisma.  Gable seems like a really nice guy - I don't know if he has that showboat type of attitude outside of the backflips.  He has physical confidence, but he is soft spoken.  

5 minutes ago, Jrr277 said:

With Gable, I get the impression that he wants to be famous. Amateur wrestling isn't the best pathway to fame. I would bet that he opts for WWE/MMA/acting over trying to be the best American wrestler in history.

I agree for  riches and fame he should take the non wrestling option. ..

i have not listened to a gable interview since he was winning age level world titles, but, the impression i got from those interviews would leave me to believe he could very easily capture the kinds of minds that gravitate towards pro wrestling...

48 minutes ago, window12 said:

Clearly Gable Steveson is phenomenal athlete and having won the Freestyle Olympic wrestling Gold for the Heavy weight category, seems to have reached a fork in the road in his early stage  but so far so  fabulously successful career. Staying on the current path has the potential of him becoming an all time  great in the sport of  Wrestling winning multiple World and Olympic titles. The other fork in the road  of going into WWE has the potential to take him into media and Entertainment stardom with him reaching potential height of becoming an Mega Movie star such as the Rock etc.

I was wondering what career path is considered more prestigious and if it was your own son in that fortunate position, which path you would advise him to take?

Personally I think its an intriguing choice and hypothetically not sure what I would suggest to someone in that position..... 

The skill set it takes to be a movie star, and to make a lot of money in the WWE, is very different from the skill set it takes to succeed in wrestling.

His wrestling skill set is the elitest of elite.  He can be an all time great.  There is no reason to think that will translate in any meaningful way to WWE/acting.

For proof, take a look at WWE stars.  Almost none of them excelled in anything else before getting to the WWE.  Being good at some other sport is of minimal benefit, since you're performing, not competing.  Athleticism is needed, but what matters to success is charisma, physique, and a lot of luck.  

And going to acting from athletics is only really on the table with someone who already has a truly massive following, like The Rock.

I'm sure Gable could do well in the WWE, but there's no reason to think he'd be any more special than any of the other people living that life.  But in wrestling, he can be truly special -- a GOAT.  Hope he goes that route.

If he wrestles two more years and wins another NCAA title (or even a world title) a career in fake wrestling will still be available. If he quits wrestling now, he can likely never go back. For that reason, I'd give it another year or two.

I am not sure if CTE is a real danger in fake wrestling. But he will likely have to 'roid out, which is also unhealthy long term.

you can get debilitating CTE from heading a soccer ball...

from the ripples in the water from water skiing...

to think CTE is not an issue or concern in pro wrestling is one of the truly laughable comments i have seen on this silly bbs in a minute...

34 minutes ago, BAC said:

The skill set it takes to be a movie star, and to make a lot of money in the WWE, is very different from the skill set it takes to succeed in wrestling.

His wrestling skill set is the elitest of elite.  He can be an all time great.  There is no reason to think that will translate in any meaningful way to WWE/acting.

For proof, take a look at WWE stars.  Almost none of them excelled in anything else before getting to the WWE.  Being good at some other sport is of minimal benefit, since you're performing, not competing.  Athleticism is needed, but what matters to success is charisma, physique, and a lot of luck.  

And going to acting from athletics is only really on the table with someone who already has a truly massive following, like The Rock.

I'm sure Gable could do well in the WWE, but there's no reason to think he'd be any more special than any of the other people living that life.  But in wrestling, he can be truly special -- a GOAT.  Hope he goes that route.

He may not need high level method acting skills for the types of roles he could be aiming for. Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone sure did not have the acting skills of Laurence Olivier, but got on well in the genre of movies they acted in...   

Edited by window12
typo

38 minutes ago, NJDan said:

If he wrestles two more years and wins another NCAA title (or even a world title) a career in fake wrestling will still be available. If he quits wrestling now, he can likely never go back. For that reason, I'd give it another year or two.

I am not sure if CTE is a real danger in fake wrestling. But he will likely have to 'roid out, which is also unhealthy long term.

Last I heard (and I may be out of the loop), you can only diagnose CTE on people who have died (because of the nature of the examination).  I also seem to recall a number of pro wrestlers being diagnosed with CTE after their deaths, including — infamously — Chris Benoit.

Before getting into pro wrestling, I do think a discussion with a CTE expert would be worthwhile.  Brain damage is something to take seriously. 

I agree there is no guarantee of that, but I was thinking about potential or something to aim for. I would have thought there is a good potential of him becoming a well known movie star although I have no clue how good his skills are in that department.

7aab7fced1c275bc6536095a11fc9595.jpg

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Except that two of the most famous WWF stars over the last 20 years have NCAA titles and Olympic and world gold medals on their shelves. 

Everyone seems to think that just because he has a choice to go the WWE route, that it will make him some multi-millionaire overnight.  He can be just as easily written OUT of the script, especially if he has compliance issues with what they may want him to do.  

WWE is a glorified circus.  I've worked for years in sports and media entertainment, and have many former colleagues that worked at WWE (administrative, marketing, management, etc.).  It's a hell of a lot of fun, and there is $$$ there, but... everything comes with a price.  Opportunity A will prevent Opportunity B from occurring, and in turn, opens up doors C, D, and E.  What's behind those doors are sometimes questionable.  The lifestyle in that realm is quite different than the disciplined lifestyle necessary to be an Elite Wrestler.  

My hope would be this: 

* Finish out college, win the remaining NCAA Titles

* Compete through 2024, win 2 more World Championships and another Olympic Gold

* All the while, try out real, actual acting, and contemplate hop-skipping past the WWE path and straight into where the REAL $$$ is made, a la The Rock.  

* Establish relationships that can be trusted and relied upon, instead of the quick win and a line of coke that awaits behind some of those other doors. 

It would be a real shame if that talent is lost to the sport, driven by the almighty "dollar".  I get it that it's a very real and realistic proposition, but the idealist in me wishes in something different. 

Regardless, wishing Gable the best on his decision, since ultimately, it's his decision.

(Note:  If Gable goes the WWE route, we'll have entire sessions dedicated to how both Pico and Gable coulda woulda shoulda...)

19 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Everyone seems to think that just because he has a choice to go the WWE route, that it will make him some multi-millionaire overnight.  He can be just as easily written OUT of the script, especially if he has compliance issues with what they may want him to do.  

WWE is a glorified circus.  I've worked for years in sports and media entertainment, and have many former colleagues that worked at WWE (administrative, marketing, management, etc.).  It's a hell of a lot of fun, and there is $$$ there, but... everything comes with a price.  Opportunity A will prevent Opportunity B from occurring, and in turn, opens up doors C, D, and E.  What's behind those doors are sometimes questionable.  The lifestyle in that realm is quite different than the disciplined lifestyle necessary to be an Elite Wrestler.  

My hope would be this: 

* Finish out college, win the remaining NCAA Titles

* Compete through 2024, win 2 more World Championships and another Olympic Gold

* All the while, try out real, actual acting, and contemplate hop-skipping past the WWE path and straight into where the REAL $$$ is made, a la The Rock.  

* Establish relationships that can be trusted and relied upon, instead of the quick win and a line of coke that awaits behind some of those other doors. 

It would be a real shame if that talent is lost to the sport, driven by the almighty "dollar".  I get it that it's a very real and realistic proposition, but the idealist in me wishes in something different. 

Regardless, wishing Gable the best on his decision, since ultimately, it's his decision.

(Note:  If Gable goes the WWE route, we'll have entire sessions dedicated to how both Pico and Gable coulda woulda shoulda...)

Exactly.  Gable is an exceptional athlete and technical wrestler.  He has the potential to go down as one of the greats in the history of the sport.  

In WWE, being a great athlete is relatively meaningless. Sure, being good athlete is important, but the difference in athleticism between Gable Steveson and John Cena is insignificant when the entire thing is scripted. What does matter? Looking like and having the stage presence of Duane Johnson, John Cena, or Brock Lesnar. Gable isn't going to be able to just follow the Lesnar blueprint.  Finding a stupid schtick that makes the "fans" of WWE like you will be critical to his success, and Kurt Angle has already played out the "I'm a Gold Medalist so I'm better than you" thing. The vast majority of WWE wrestlers aren't starring in movies, and Gable's past will make that difficult for him anyway. 

I hope Flo and Rokfin are getting offers ready to sign him to a deal for exclusive matches.  Imagine Gable vs Sad or Gable vs Snyder on Flo.  That will sell a ton of yearly subscriptions, and I'm generally not even a fan of those exhibition matches. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

has he shown interest in gopher football?

a huge gopher fan, who knows nothing of wrestling, but gable, told me that PJ is after him.

I had never heard nor thought of this. I immediately thought he was full of ____, but he proceeded to try to convince me ....