window12

Gable Steveson- Fork in the road

3 hours ago, GockeS said:

has he shown interest in gopher football?

a huge gopher fan, who knows nothing of wrestling, but gable, told me that PJ is after him.

I had never heard nor thought of this. I immediately thought he was full of ____, but he proceeded to try to convince me ....

PJ's not for everyone.

17 hours ago, window12 said:

Clearly Gable Steveson is phenomenal athlete and having won the Freestyle Olympic wrestling Gold for the Heavy weight category, seems to have reached a fork in the road in his early stage  but so far so  fabulously successful career. Staying on the current path has the potential of him becoming an all time  great in the sport of  Wrestling winning multiple World and Olympic titles. The other fork in the road  of going into WWE has the potential to take him into media and Entertainment stardom with him reaching potential height of becoming an Mega Movie star such as the Rock etc.

I was wondering what career path is considered more prestigious and if it was your own son in that fortunate position, which path you would advise him to take?

Personally I think its an intriguing choice and hypothetically not sure what I would suggest to someone in that position..... 

It's a long shot that he gets into movies like The Rock did.  You can count on one hand how many pro wrestlers transitioned into a successful movie career.  Rock, Cena, that's about it.  Some have had bit parts or been in minor movies like Roddy Piper, Hogan, Batista, etc.  But none of them were breakout movie stars.  If Gable goes to the WWE, his ceiling is the next Kurt Angle.  He'll make a lot of money and achieve a modicum of fame, but he'll likely be a wreck physically by the time he's 40.

Of course I personally would want to see GS continue to wrestle folk/free, but no matter what he does, I would be happy for him as I am a fan.  Can't fault anyone for choosing to do something that helps support him and his family and something he enjoys doing.  Crazy to think people criticize other people's choices in terms of what they may want to do for a career.  

That fork may be winding down to a decision. UFC made a post congratulating Gable on his gold medal and now Gable is teasing interaction with Vince McMahon. I would love to have a behind the scenes look at what’s happening in Gable’s life right now lol. 

23 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

That fork may be winding down to a decision. UFC made a post congratulating Gable on his gold medal and now Gable is teasing interaction with Vince McMahon. I would love to have a behind the scenes look at what’s happening in Gable’s life right now lol. 

He sent the exact same tweet to Dana White. My guess is he’s just having fun with it. And why not, who can blame him. I’m not sure I wouldn’t be flirting with everyone of these orgs seeing what they would pony up to offer. 

19 hours ago, flyingcement said:

D line?

Gable made a comment on Twitter in response to a betting line on what Gable would do next.  He said something like if he was betting, it would be on the NFL.  

I don't know what position he would play because he is short for a college OL/DL, let alone an NFL one.  He's not close to Adam Coon's height, who is probably 6'5" or 6'6".  Gable looks like 2-3" shorter than Lesnar, who is 6'2" or 6'3".  Maybe Gable plays fullback or offensive guard?

26 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Gable made a comment on Twitter in response to a betting line on what Gable would do next.  He said something like if he was betting, it would be on the NFL.  

I don't know what position he would play because he is short for a college OL/DL, let alone an NFL one.  He's not close to Adam Coon's height, who is probably 6'5" or 6'6".  Gable looks like 2-3" shorter than Lesnar, who is 6'2" or 6'3".  Maybe Gable plays fullback or offensive guard?

Centers are usually pretty short compared to other linemen, but it’s one of the hardest offensive line positions to play. You have to know every assignment for the entire line, help the QB call out blitz packages, and really know the playbook just as well as the quarterback. 

Source: My dad played center in college and I hear about it all the time ha. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

He sent the exact same tweet to Dana White. My guess is he’s just having fun with it. And why not, who can blame him. I’m not sure I wouldn’t be flirting with everyone of these orgs seeing what they would pony up to offer. 

[Deleted]

Edited by Katie

I’m not a WWE fan but my guess is I don’t know if he’d be a household name in WWE, but I’m sure he’d do OK.

I know WWE is stupid, but it’s probably a smarter move for him than trying to do MMA or play football both for potential injuries and earning potential IMO.

I think Ferrari is more suited for WWE honestly.  But would be interesting if they both went to WWE and continued their rivalry (or became a tag team).

Edited by 1032004

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I’m not a WWE fan but my guess is I don’t know if he’d be a household name in WWE, but I’m sure he’d do OK.

I know WWE is stupid, but it’s probably a smarter move for him than trying to do MMA or play football both for potential injuries and earning potential IMO.

I think Ferrari is more suited for WWE honestly.  But would be interesting if they both went to WWE and continued their rivalry (or became a tag team).

Ferrari and Gable aren't tag-team types of guys.  I'd assume the WWE would promote them as individuals.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Gable and Ferrari have no rivalry.

There is one aspect of this discussion about WWE vs real wrestling that no one has mentioned.  If Gable chooses to pursue a career in WWE his future will largely be in the hands of other people and his success will depend on him satisfying the demands they put on him and then hoping they promote him as he hoped for.  If he decides to pursue continued greatness in real competitive wrestling his future is largely in his own hands and he has a tremendous amount of control over how it will proceed.  As great as he is now (which is pretty amazing considering how he handled Taha Akgul who is one of the best ever) he has the ability to get even better.  He is only 21 and has not hit his peak size or strength yet.  His technique can get better especially in par terre.  If he chooses to continue to wrestle his destiny is in own hands far more so than in some endeavor that depends on a somewhat shady group promoting you to a fickle fan base.  Just my thoughts - I am sure Gable has many very sharp people giving him guidance and I hope that whatever path he chooses he finds great success.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, Katie said:

Last I heard (and I may be out of the loop), you can only diagnose CTE on people who have died (because of the nature of the examination).  I also seem to recall a number of pro wrestlers being diagnosed with CTE after their deaths, including — infamously — Chris Benoit.

Before getting into pro wrestling, I do think a discussion with a CTE expert would be worthwhile.  Brain damage is something to take seriously. 

These were accurate and important posts.  CTE has been a big issue in pro wrestling.  There have been multiple CTE diagnoses in pro wrestlers' autopsies.  Scores of wrestlers have filed suit about alleged head injuries.  And one of the handful of biggest CTE advocates is Chris Nowinski, whose pro wrestling shtick was as the brainy Harvard grad. 

It's not hard to understand the head injury risk if you watch the matches.  The competition is totally fake but the physical danger is significant -- both things can be, and are, true at the same time. 

Steveson would be wise to include this risk in his decision making.  

7 hours ago, lu1979 said:

There is one aspect of this discussion about WWE vs real wrestling that no one has mentioned.  If Gable chooses to pursue a career in WWE his future will largely be in the hands of other people and his success will depend on him satisfying the demands they put on him and then hoping they promote him as he hoped for.  If he decides to pursue continued greatness in real competitive wrestling his future is largely in his own hands and he has a tremendous amount of control over how it will proceed.  As great as he is now (which is pretty amazing considering how he handled Taha Akgul who is one of the best ever) he has the ability to get even better.  He is only 21 and has not hit his peak size or strength yet.  His technique can get better especially in par terre.  If he chooses to continue to wrestle his destiny is in own hands far more so than in some endeavor that depends on a somewhat shady group promoting you to a fickle fan base.  Just my thoughts - I am sure Gable has many very sharp people giving him guidance and I hope that whatever path he chooses he finds great success.

He could definitely become one of the most famous (real) wrestlers ever and make a comfortable living.  But the cap as an active wrestler is basically Burroughs who I doubt makes more than maybe a couple hundred grand a year including endorsements.  

That appears to be about the average in the WWE, with the potential to earn 5-10x much as more.  And having Lesnar in his corner will definitely help.  I haven’t even heard of a couple of the guys on this list - https://sportlister.com/wrestling/wwe-salaries

I think the road would be a lot tougher in the NFL or MMA.  I don’t think he’s actually serious about the NFL and highly unlikely he’d last more than a couple years or so if at all.  He could definitely make big money in the UFC but it’d probably take a few years to get there and he’d have to be successful.  Yes there is injury risk to the WWE but not as much as in the NFL or MMA IMO, so I definitely think the WWE makes the most sense from various angles.  And I think Askren even pointed out he could finish his degree with them too.

Yes he could easily get a coaching job when he’s done wrestling too but he could do that if whatever else he tries doesn’t work out either.

Edited by 1032004

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He could definitely become one of the most famous (real) wrestlers ever and make a comfortable living.  But the cap as an active wrestler is basically Burroughs who I doubt makes more than maybe a couple hundred grand a year including endorsements.  

That appears to be about the average in the WWE, with the potential to earn 5-10x much as more.  And having Lesnar in his corner will definitely help.  I haven’t even heard of a couple of the guys on this list - https://sportlister.com/wrestling/wwe-salaries

I think the road would be a lot tougher in the NFL or MMA.  I don’t think he’s actually serious about the NFL and highly unlikely he’d last more than a couple years or so if at all.  He could definitely make big money in the UFC but it’d probably take a few years to get there and he’d have to be successful.  Yes there is injury risk to the WWE but not as much as in the NFL or MMA IMO, so I definitely think the WWE makes the most sense from various angles.  And I think Askren even pointed out he could finish his degree with them too.

Yes he could easily get a coaching job when he’s done wrestling too but he could do that if whatever else he tries doesn’t work out either.

Look at how young so many people in WWE die. I’m pretty sure the risk is significantly greater when you factor in the long term effects of steroids and pain killers.

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You like me have no idea of how much JB has been making from endorsements, coaching, appearances etc.  If I were to take a WAG at it as you just did I would expect that it would fall between 1/2 million to 1 million per year.  Now what we do know that Gable made this year from the Live the Dream fund is $250 K.  He can add another $50 K to that if he goes to Oslo in 2 months and wins. (I have no idea why all the people on here are saying there is no incentive for him to go Oslo and win a World Gold - I think he will).  I expect a young marketable guy like Gable could make from $500k to a little more per year in endorsement deals if he continues to be the best in the world at wrestling.  He will get $50K for each World title he wins and at least $250 K for winning the Olympic title in Paris in 3 years.  I said at least because in 2016 USAW had said that a repeat title for JB was going to get hin $500K.  I don't know if they are still promising that.  In Paris there are 3 people that could collect that incentive if it's still there.  Anyway my main point is that success in real wrestling is FAR MORE in Gable's control than success in WWE would be.  He will be able to make a pretty good living and the better he does the easier it will be to transition to the fake wrestling at a later date if he tires of real competition.

Also I encourage all fans to dig deep and donate what you can to USAW's Live the Dream Fund.  It is a great program that gets $ directly to the hands of our well deserving athletes.  After our amazing performance in Tokyo they will need all the donations they can get.