Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

Globalization of subcultures

I was watching the men's gymnastics final and noticed that no matter what country they were representing, most of the dudes had the same coiffure: a gelled quiff but a little shorter on top than Morrissey's. I kept noticing similar sorts of things in other sports: hair, sartorial choices, celebration rituals, attitudes toward other competitors, etc. The athletes seemed to have at least as much in common with other folks in their sport as they did with their countrymen. We were seeing global subcultures.

Wrestling is no different (wrestlers from every corner of the world are tucking their sweats into their socks). This is a relatively new development (It wasn't that long ago that we saw some serious lezginka in the crowd and on the mat after a big win ... Batirov, if I remember correctly), but the internet is internetting.

As a result, I imagine that American wrestling fans would be as or more familiar with Yazdani, Sidakov, and Otoguro than with even the most famous US track and field or swimming reps. 

So here's my question: Why can't Sadulaev get a shoe? 

Ps - a few years ago (10?), DoubleSport tried the Belaglozov shoe, and it didn't sell. But that shoe had a lot things holding it back: the sole fell off, the lace cover had the velcro hooks on the wrong side (like the Slay's) so it would shred your skin, and Sergei had not competed in 20 years when the shoe came out, to name a few.

Edited by jackwebster

BUMP

I've never had a good money-making idea in my life, but why wouldn't putting Sadulaev's name  *in Cyrillic* on the heel of a ASICS EX-EO sell more shoes? We already have guys like Vito and Yianni copping the exotic shoes. My highschool and club teams were teeming with Russophiles ... err,  Caucasus-o-philes ... on the hunt for any digital scrap of their favorite wrestlers: the transcipt of the Kudukhov interview where he praises the Brands, the vault of matches on the now defunct chechenfighters.com, the vids of Batirov wrestling in the woods for guns (NSA be damned).

Idk, seems like a Sadulaev endorsement would generate more interest than Seth Gross.

Edited by jackwebster

9 hours ago, jackwebster said:

As a result, I imagine that American wrestling fans would be as or more familiar with Yazdani, Sidakov, and Otoguro than with even the most famous US track and field or swimming reps. 

So here's my question: Why can't Sadulaev get a shoe? 

I think your statement is true.  But so is the fact that more American wrestling fans are probably familiar with Max Murin than Sadulaev.

I don't see why a Sadulaev shoe wouldn't sell amazingly well in Russia though. 

Speaking of shoes, I did notice that it seemed like a large majority of the international wrestlers (from various countries) all had the same simple Asics shoes.  Meanwhile we've got a mixture of Nike (Gable), Asics (Dake), Scraplife (Gilman & Taylor), and Rudis (Snyder)

im-382156?width=700&height=466

david-taylor-of-united-states-and-hassan

s-thomas-patrick-gilman-wrestles-russias

610bad2b23c15.png?width=680

Just now, 1032004 said:

I think your statement is true.  But so is the fact that more American wrestling fans are probably familiar with Max Murin than Sadulaev.

Speaking of shoes, I did notice that it seemed like a large majority of the international wrestlers (from various countries) all had the same simple Asics shoes.  Meanwhile we've got a mixture of Nike (Gable), Asics (Dake), Scraplife (Gilman & Taylor), and Rudis (Snyder)

Those ASICS sell for about $250, I assume bc you have to get them from Japan ... trade restrictions and all.

35 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Those ASICS sell for about $250, I assume bc you have to get them from Japan ... trade restrictions and all.

Interesting.  I'm sure they may be different but when I was in college in the 2000's our team found a sporting goods store that had a full stock of like 15 year old shoes that were all new in the box for like $30 or less (which we promptly bought almost all of) and I got a pair that looked similar to those.   I hated them TBH, felt like you were walking on bricks IMO compared to like Combat Speeds and such.

But I feel like most wrestlers still care more about the actual shoe than the name that's on them.

34 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I got a pair that looked similar to those.   I hated them TBH, felt like you were walking on bricks IMO compared to like Combat Speeds and such.

Word. They look like the silver-striped Ultraflexes that most of team USA sported in 84 (actually, closer to the Loudoun Swain version in Vision Quest), and you're right: those soles were stiff. These have the same suede (nubuck?) uppers, but the sole is way more pliable.

BTW I feel like a nancy (somebody called me that on here the other day) for obsessing on this. But, I'm actually really interested in how the internet could be a tool to eradicate blood N soil nationalism (read: the most dangerous artifact of 19th C. German Idealism/Romanticism). The shoe stuff is just one way to talk about it.

Frankly, I would rather talk tech (eg, which 2-on-1 counter is more profitably adapted to folkstyle: Zelimkhan Huysenov's  same-side step-over leg hook or Mavlet's elbow-pull/drag boot-scoot trip? I have already dismissed Saitiev's limp arm from the debate bc it's f-king impossible.). But, this board tends toward rooting for your tribe, so ...

Edited by jackwebster

Idk. In the early 90's no one was doing it where I was. We tucked our sweatshirts in.  (EDIT: Oh, I guess we taped up the waist, ankle cuffs, and wrist cuffs of our sweats to keep them out of tbe way. But, kids now are tucking in sweats with elastic ankle cuffs or cutting out the elastic and then tucking them in. I have even seen kids tucking in joggers. It's fashion . . . They wear them that way to class. BTW I agree that it's not just the internet. I might have overstated that. But my point was that we inhabit a globalized subculture.)

I wonder how necessity invented the need for Vito and Yianni to get shoes commercially unavailable in the US. Surely, they could have bought a pair of Dave Schultz sig Asics which are roughly the same . . . or any other pair of shoes that you can get through World Wide Sport Supply. Why those?

59 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Wrestlers have been tucking in non cuffed sweats into socks since before I was in HS.  Kids would think those dudes were nerds then they would smoke everyone.  It came from necessity, not internet fashion.

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Idk. In the early 90's no one was doing it where I was. We tucked our sweatshirts in.  (EDIT: Oh, I guess we taped up the waist, ankle cuffs, and wrist cuffs of our sweats to keep them out of tbe way. But, kids now are tucking in sweats with elastic ankle cuffs or cutting out the elastic and then tucking them in. I have even seen kids tucking in joggers. It's fashion . . . They wear them that way to class. BTW I agree that it's not just the internet. I might have overstated that. But my point was that we inhabit a globalized subculture.)

I wonder how necessity invented the need for Vito and Yianni to get shoes commercially unavailable in the US. Surely, they could have bought a pair of Dave Schultz sig Asics which are roughly the same . . . or any other pair of shoes that you can get through World Wide Sport Supply. Why those?

Wait do Yianni and Vito wear those Asics that all the foreign guys had?

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

RE the shoe thing, I think it really goes to show how wrestling has grown in popularity (and this as a market) stateside over the last ten years. I wrestled in high school not that long ago, and even then you pretty much only had ASICS, adidas, and Nike to choose from, and Nike especially didn’t make very many different models. Since then the existing brands have put way more shoes on the market, along with other brands making dedicated lines (under armor with scrap life) and brands like Rusia that cater to wrestlers first. Exciting time to be part of the sport in the USA 

Only fancy shoe I ever had were the John Smith Mat Wizards - took me about a week of bussing tables to pay off at the time.  In my current mindset, I would certainly consider any type of wrestling shoe that fit well.  Back then, as a kid, I think I felt more patriotic, and would be more likely to reject wearing a Russian's shoe out of principle (as if the Cold War is still onoing... lol).  If it was Punia or someone non-Russian, as a kid, I would have gone for it.  I would have still considered Russia as "the bad guys" when I was a kid, so less likely to want those kinds of shoes.