BuckyBadger

Top US Wrestlers earnings power, is it enough to keep Gable wrestling?

How much do the top 2-3 guys in the US make as full time wrestlers? Not just from competitions or salaries from coaching or club sponsorships, but also from endorsements etc?

Burroughs over the last 10 years or Snyder over the last 5-6 are probably the best examples to look at. Is it reasonable to assume they each make $200k or more a year?

In some of his post-Olympics interviews Gable Steveson has talked about his desire to make some money while has an opportunity.

Gable would seem to have a similar trajectory to Burroughs/Snyder. Both won Olympic gold early on in their careers. Both have been in the top 2-3 US wrestlers for most of their careers as well.

But Gable also seems to have more upside financially given the interest from WWE etc.

Could Gable make more than a couple hundred thousand a year as a wrestler? If he went the WWE route could he make so much more that it’s not a comparison?

45 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

How much do the top 2-3 guys in the US make as full time wrestlers? Not just from competitions or salaries from coaching or club sponsorships, but also from endorsements etc?

Burroughs over the last 10 years or Snyder over the last 5-6 are probably the best examples to look at. Is it reasonable to assume they each make $200k or more a year?

In some of his post-Olympics interviews Gable Steveson has talked about his desire to make some money while has an opportunity.

Gable would seem to have a similar trajectory to Burroughs/Snyder. Both won Olympic gold early on in their careers. Both have been in the top 2-3 US wrestlers for most of their careers as well.

But Gable also seems to have more upside financially given the interest from WWE etc.

Could Gable make more than a couple hundred thousand a year as a wrestler? If he went the WWE route could he make so much more that it’s not a comparison?

I expect that JB has been doing pretty well between a) endorsement $s, b) appearance fees, c) coaching and RTC income and d) tournament winnings.  The only item of those listed that is at least partially known publicly is how much JB has made off of USAW's Living the Dream Fund.  He has received $15 K in 2018 & 19 as well as 2014.  He got $ 50 K in 2017, 2015, 2013 & 2011.  He got $250 K in 2012.  Besides those payouts he was probably paid pretty well for his matches with DT and Zahid recently.  I expect that JB has been doing very well over the last 10 years and has been making a decent living.  I would be surprised if his yearly income did not exceed 500 K and $ 1Million per year would not shock me.  I would not be at all surprised if his new gig at the Penn RTC came with a 6 figure income.   I think Gable could replicate that and perhaps exceed it with a good marketing strategy.

Also I encourage all fans to dig deep and donate what you can to USAW's Live the Dream Fund.  It is a great program that gets $ directly to the hands of our well deserving athletes.  After our amazing performance in Tokyo they will need all the donations they can get.

Edited by lu1979

26 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Short answer, no.  See video where Chael Sonnen discusses JB's net worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwR8rVJlEU

As usual Chael is blowing hot air - he has no idea how much JB is worth and he he has no idea how much JB was paid last year to wrestle either DT or Zahid.  The guy likes to hear himself bloviate.  So the more accurate although slightly longer answer is "most likely yes". 

As usual Chael is blowing hot air - he has no idea how much JB is worth and he he has no idea how much JB was paid last year to wrestle either DT or Zahid.  The guy likes to hear himself bloviate.  So the more accurate although slightly longer answer is "most likely yes". 
Don't listen to Chael. He's gone.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gable will make more off of social media promotions than 200k a year. He will probably make 10k per plug.

This seems high to me. The influencer market is weird and I think it will settle down as the actual value of social media posts is sorted out. He's riding high right now, but he's still just a wrestler. He has a lot of followers, but are they the type of followers advertisers are trying to reach? Depends on the product and how it can be targeted. For him to make 10K for a social media post deal, the advertiser needs to believe it will return over 10K in value.

I could be wrong. He's up to 308K followers on Instagram (from 245K on June 30) and has been putting himself out there. I'm glad he has the chance to strike while the iron is hot and retain the ability to stay in college wrestling if he wants to.

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I expect that JB has been doing pretty well between a) endorsement $s, b) appearance fees, c) coaching and RTC income and d) tournament winnings.  The only item of those listed that is at least partially known publicly is how much JB has made off of USAW's Living the Dream Fund.  He has received $15 K in 2018 & 19 as well as 2014.  He got $ 50 K in 2017, 2015, 2013 & 2011.  He got $250 K in 2012.  Besides those payouts he was probably paid pretty well for his matches with DT and Zahid recently.  I expect that JB has been doing very well over the last 10 years and has been making a decent living.  I would be surprised if his yearly income did not exceed 500 K and $ 1Million per year would not shock me.  I would not be at all surprised if his new gig at the Penn RTC came with a 6 figure income.   I think Gable could replicate that and perhaps exceed it with a good marketing strategy.

Also I encourage all fans to dig deep and donate what you can to USAW's Live the Dream Fund.  It is a great program that gets $ directly to the hands of our well deserving athletes.  After our amazing performance in Tokyo they will need all the donations they can get.

I know I estimated “a couple hundred grand” for Burroughs in the other thread.   I did forget about his matches with Taylor and Zahid though, heard that was about $200k alone (which would make sense IMO if Dake/Chamizo got $50k).

I wouldn’t be surprised if he made up to $500k, but I think over $500k would shock me yeah.  But of course all just a guess...

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

After PDIII got booted from the card he said he was supposed to get 10k and DT was getting 25k for their match that never happened. I know JB got a 3 match contract but the worth was unknown. Maybe the Imar match counts towards that match quota since Pyles is still vocally pissed off. 

When you look at the most well funded club in the country NLWC---the support seems like alot less than figures quoted above. In 2019 the total reported expenses of NLWR were 1.62 million (see link below), which includes coaches, travel, and stipends for at least 10 resident athletes. My bet is, maybe a David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Jordan Burroughs, or Kyle Snyder can command 100k a year from the club but there are only a handful of those. Promotions in wrestling cannot be that lucrative, so lets add another 10-20% on top of that. Gold medalists can certainly command a hefty camp appearance fee, and national team members do receive a stipend from USA wrestling. So, I do imagine someone like JB could make 150k+ bonuses for several years, but that is for only the absolute top wrestlers (3-5 in the whole country). What we really need is real salaries with 401k benefits for the top 6-8 in each weight. 250k is a nice bonus for a gold medal, but it is not something that anyone can count on to pay the bills and support a family----too risky.  To live comfortably (even in a college town) and devote full time to training and partially support a family, 50k-60k a year (+benefits) seems like the minimum to keep someone in the sport

So imagine a system like this (with performance bonuses on top). I am sure USA wrestling would love to provide it, but a 12-15 million dollar a year budget, plus the Living the Dream fund is not gonna cut it---so we should all donate to USA wrestling and local clubs to keep these athletes competing.

National team salaries---in a dream world (30 weight classes, MFS, MG, Womens)--+insurance, retirement, travel expenses and performance bonuses

1- 120,000 

2- 100,000

3- 80,000

4- 70,000

5- 60,000

6- 50,000

Total- 14,400,000 in stipends alone

Benefits (health care, retirement, etc)- add in another low estimate of 25%= an additional 3.6 million

Total cost- 18 million a year (3 million more than the last total reported budget of USA wrestling).......which includes coaches, travel, admin, youth, etc....

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/237302974/02_2021_prefixes_23-25%2F237302974_202005_990_2021021717716396

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/about-us/financials

36 minutes ago, MPC said:

When you look at the most well funded club in the country NLWC---the support seems like alot less than figures quoted above. In 2019 the total reported expenses of NLWR were 1.62 million (see link below), which includes coaches, travel, and stipends for at least 10 resident athletes. My bet is, maybe a David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Jordan Burroughs, or Kyle Snyder can command 100k a year from the club but there are only a handful of those. Promotions in wrestling cannot be that lucrative, so lets add another 10-20% on top of that. Gold medalists can certainly command a hefty camp appearance fee, and national team members do receive a stipend from USA wrestling. So, I do imagine someone like JB could make 150k+ bonuses for several years, but that is for only the absolute top wrestlers (3-5 in the whole country). What we really need is real salaries with 401k benefits for the top 6-8 in each weight. 250k is a nice bonus for a gold medal, but it is not something that anyone can count on to pay the bills and support a family----too risky.  To live comfortably (even in a college town) and devote full time to training and partially support a family, 50k-60k a year (+benefits) seems like the minimum to keep someone in the sport

So imagine a system like this (with performance bonuses on top). I am sure USA wrestling would love to provide it, but a 12-15 million dollar a year budget, plus the Living the Dream fund is not gonna cut it---so we should all donate to USA wrestling and local clubs to keep these athletes competing.

National team salaries---in a dream world (30 weight classes, MFS, MG, Womens)--+insurance, retirement, travel expenses and performance bonuses

1- 120,000 

2- 100,000

3- 80,000

4- 70,000

5- 60,000

6- 50,000

Total- 14,400,000 in stipends alone

Benefits (health care, retirement, etc)- add in another low estimate of 25%= an additional 3.6 million

Total cost- 18 million a year (3 million more than the last total reported budget of USA wrestling).......which includes coaches, travel, admin, youth, etc....

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/237302974/02_2021_prefixes_23-25%2F237302974_202005_990_2021021717716396

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/about-us/financials

Other than his $250K for Gold in 2012 and whatever Flo paid him, I'm sure the majority of Burroughs' money probably comes from endorsements.   I just have no idea how much.

Edit: it is possible the PRTC gave him a nice raise in salary though vs Nebraska too..

Edited by 1032004

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Other than his $250K for Gold in 2012 and whatever Flo paid him, I'm sure the majority of Burroughs' money probably comes from endorsements.   I just have no idea how much.

Edit: it is possible the PRTC gave him a nice raise in salary though vs Nebraska too..

I think you are right that PRTC gave JB a nice boost in income over what Nebraska was paying him.  That being said I would guess that Nebraska was doling out over $70 K per year or they would not have kept him that long.

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

After PDIII got booted from the card he said he was supposed to get 10k and DT was getting 25k for their match that never happened. I know JB got a 3 match contract but the worth was unknown. Maybe the Imar match counts towards that match quota since Pyles is still vocally pissed off. 

Watch your back or Pyles will block you!

This 2017 article has a bit of info about Nebraska. It may be paywalled, but I was able to see it.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-funding-burroughs-training-is-underappreciated-part-of-mannings-job/article_3e0b079d-bc56-5899-b5bc-7436c4305a12.html

The NWTC requires outside funding, most of which pays a monthly salary for Burroughs and ex-Husker James Green, a 2015 graduate who also trains in Lincoln...All told, Manning and his top assistant, Bryan Snyder, raise in excess of $200,000 annually for NWTC.

"Hey, you want to just donate to James Green? Here's what he needs for one year to train. Can you supply that?" Manning asks a sports writer who's serving as an imaginary millionaire for the purposes of this column.

How much green does Green need for one year?

"Thirty grand," Manning says. "For Jordan Burroughs, it's a lot more than that."

According to the 2017 Form 990, the Nebraska Wrestling Training Center had about $236K in contributions and revenue and spent around $225K on "Contract Labor"

7 minutes ago, IronChef said:

This 2017 article has a bit of info about Nebraska. It may be paywalled, but I was able to see it.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-funding-burroughs-training-is-underappreciated-part-of-mannings-job/article_3e0b079d-bc56-5899-b5bc-7436c4305a12.html

According to the 2017 Form 990, the Nebraska Wrestling Training Center had about $236K in contributions and revenue and spent around $225K on "Contract Labor"

Yeah I think I have read that article in the past.   Not sure what "a lot more" means, but yeah I'd agree with lu1979 that Burroughs was probably getting at least $70-$100k in salary

Edited by 1032004

13 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Short answer, no.  See video where Chael Sonnen discusses JB's net worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwR8rVJlEU

I dont get his arguement, charity or not, the living dream fund is there because there is a demand to have good American representation in wrestling. Chaels donation is an investment in wrestling so someone else will go do what he cannot. People constantly spend money on things that they cannot recoup and they do it for many reasons. In this case its not to prevent despair or out of the goodness of his heart. It is so a guy like Jordan Burroughs is incentivized to win gold medals thereby helping American wrestling. 

Let's take burroughs for example...

Penn RTC a couple years ago offered him 250k a year to train, would imagine (David Taylor is at about 100k at NLWC)

Add in the Living the dream fund

Camps

Sponsors

Prize Money

World/ national team stipends..

Burroughs is netting more than 95% of UFC fighters.

18 minutes ago, GrecoGold said:

Let's take burroughs for example...

Penn RTC a couple years ago offered him 250k a year to train, would imagine (David Taylor is at about 100k at NLWC)

Add in the Living the dream fund

Camps

Sponsors

Prize Money

World/ national team stipends..

Burroughs is netting more than 95% of UFC fighters.

I'd agree about UFC fighters.  What about WWE guys or whatever they call themselves?