Sign in to follow this  
Silhouette94

Who Do You Think Will Retire/Slow Down Before Paris 2024?

As the title reads.  

Of course, Paris is only 3 years away; although, I believe some of the top contenders may not make the podium/the national team for the 2024 olympics.  

Some of the names that come to mind: Haji Aliyev, Frank Chamizo, maybe Kyle Dake?  Bekzod Abdurakhmonov

I could be way off, but it is still interesting to think about it

Who else do you think will fall-off?  

Like you say, Paris only 3 years away.  The only competitor who has serious retirement vibes at present is Gable, and I imagine there are legions of people trying to get him to stay until then.  

Maybe slowdown by Chamizo, Aliyv, and Abdurakmonov, but I would be really surprised if Dake starts winding down.  

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Significant slow down (as in will not medal and may not make the 2024 team) Sidakov, Bajrang, Dake, Gilman, Chamizo

Retire: Taha

My guess is Chamizo won’t face a ton of competition making the Italian Olympic team. Qualifying the weight is a different story altogether. 

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

I can't imagine a 33 yo Taylor will be the same as he is now

Taylor won’t age like some of his peers. He has a great Treigning Lab that pushes him to avoid that scenario on a daily basis. I’m definitely in the minority but I fully support his workout regimen as he continually pushes the limit of what is possible.

Do people really think Burroughs is unbeatable? His speed and cat like quickness were his top skills. He got pushed to the edge the year he missed weight in Lincoln by Imar and will soon be beaten more regularly. I wouldn’t be shocked if he lost to Nolf, IMar or Dieringer at trials this year.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, bnwtwg said:

Significant slow down (as in will not medal and may not make the 2024 team) Sidakov, Bajrang, Dake, Gilman, Chamizo

Retire: Taha

Sidakov is only 25. I think he's only starting to reach his prime now. he'll obviously have tough competition to keep making the russian team though.

24 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Sidakov is only 25. I think he's only starting to reach his prime now. he'll obviously have tough competition to keep making the russian team though.

That was my line of thinking. He will be 28 trying to make the Paris team, and although he is a reigning 3x world champ there was already a small chance he did not get the spot this year. Making the team in Russia is almost, if not harder than, winning worlds.

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

That was my line of thinking. He will be 28 trying to make the Paris team, and although he is a reigning 3x world champ there was already a small chance he did not get the spot this year. Making the team in Russia is almost, if not harder than, winning worlds.

Okay, that makes sense then. I still think he'll be a top 3-5 guy in the world by that time, but maybe a guy like Zhamalov will catch him in a year or two.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Okay, that makes sense then. I still think he'll be a top 3-5 guy in the world by that time, but maybe a guy like Zhamalov will catch him in a year or two.

Or someone currently competing in juniors…

17 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Zhamalov is great, but he has mental lapses and seems to lose concentration in the more important matches.  I don't think there are many in the 74kg in Russia that can beat him.  I also don't think Zhamalov would have beaten Burroughs and Chamizo before.  

On 8/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, Sheerstress said:

Like you say, Paris only 3 years away.  The only competitor who has serious retirement vibes at present is Gable, and I imagine there are legions of people trying to get him to stay until then.  

Maybe slowdown by Chamizo, Aliyv, and Abdurakmonov, but I would be really surprised if Dake starts winding down.  

I was hesitant to place Dake on the list, but he is 30 and has been competing for a long time at a senior level; despite Burroughs taking his place on the world team.  I think he will still be a contender, but I think 2018-19 was his peak.  

20 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

and if someone can't make the Russian team, go to Belarus or Bahrain, or anywhere else you can gain citizenship

On 8/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, bnwtwg said:

Taylor won’t age like some of his peers. He has a great Treigning Lab that pushes him to avoid that scenario on a daily basis. I’m definitely in the minority but I fully support his workout regimen as he continually pushes the limit of what is possible.

It has done wonders for TJ Dillashaw!

22 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Do people really think Burroughs is unbeatable? His speed and cat like quickness were his top skills. He got pushed to the edge the year he missed weight in Lincoln by Imar and will soon be beaten more regularly. I wouldn’t be shocked if he lost to Nolf, IMar or Dieringer at trials this year.

He missed weight?

On 8/15/2021 at 9:39 AM, Sheerstress said:

Dake seems to get hurt a lot, even with the unconventional training methods he is so confident in.  I can't see his durability improving with age.  I know that mine hasn't.

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Dake seems to get hurt a lot, even with the unconventional training methods he is so confident in.  I can't see his durability improving with age.  I know that mine hasn't.

You're doing pretty damn well for your age for a Founding Father of The USA.

Anyone 30 and over will be affected. Father time hasn't lost a single battle in the history of time...just look at Jordan Burroughs time line of success and when it started to go south. Wrestling is an incredibly physical sport where the young and strong usually prevail. 

Edited by DocBZ

2 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Anyone 30 and over will be affected. Father time hasn't lost a single battle in the history of time...just look at Jordan Burroughs time line of success and when it started to go south. Wrestling is an incredibly physical sport where the young and strong usually prevail. 

His timeline of success started to go when Dake started to de-age.  Simple numbers.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

It has done wonders for TJ Dillashaw!

An underhanded insinuation towards a Russian congruency in moral practices?

I.e. is one of our founding fathers accusing DT of being on the roids?

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

You're doing pretty damn well for your age for a Founding Father of The USA.

Trying.  Fictional Patterns helps a little, and so does an alkaline diet with lots of seasonal and fermented foods,  but my left side still aches if the weather gets cold and damp.