7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Nashon has no chance unless nobody else shows up. I doubt he is top 5 domestically at 61

He beat Graff the last time they wrestled...  

Edited by rpm002

7 minutes ago, Silhouette94 said:

Is Spencer Lee better/does he have more potential at 57kg than Gilman?  

More potential possibly, but we need to see him against the international field at 57.  Gilman has proven he can compete and win, and I think we all are in the same boat that so can Spencer....but having some actual measurable data would help.

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If I were a guessing man, he may get the 1 seed, if entries hold.  He earned it, too.

Graff will be #1 seed.  He won this weight the last time it was contested and has no domestic losses since, so I think that has to stand.  After that I have no idea... very difficult to seed.  My best guess:

1) Graff 2) Suriano 3) Colon 4) Vito 5) Fix 6) Garrett 7) Gross 8) Mack 9) NATO 10) Richards

Nico would also probably in the mix there somewhere if he registers.  Guys like Lizak and DeShazer are interesting too... such a fun weight!

1 hour ago, rpm002 said:

Graff will be #1 seed.  He won this weight the last time it was contested and has no domestic losses since, so I think that has to stand.  After that I have no idea... very difficult to seed.  My best guess:

1) Graff 2) Suriano 3) Colon 4) Vito 5) Fix 6) Garrett 7) Gross 8) Mack 9) NATO 10) Richards

Nico would also probably in the mix there somewhere if he registers.  Guys like Lizak and DeShazer are interesting too... such a fun weight!

Suriano's win over Colon was 18 months ago.  He has lost to both Arujau and Gross.  He will be seeded behind both.

I understand your stance on Graff.  While he hasn't had any domestic freestyle losses since he won the weight two years ago, he also had had zero wins.  Reward the idle who did not even medal?  They shouldn't.

Lee is almost like an urban legend at this point.  So many talk about what once was.  But …  No senior level international competitions.  I’m lowering expectations a fair bit at this point.  

Injuries suck.  Sad … but they do.  I’m rooting for him to have an amazing comeback but the road is not an easy one.

RE Vito.  I never thought he was big for 57kg.  Felt he was horses around by some guys.  Will be quite surprised if he makes the finals at 61kg.  Happily surprised.  Also will be happy to see a bit more meat on him!

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Suriano's win over Colon was 18 months ago.  He has lost to both Arujau and Gross.  He will be seeded behind both.

I understand your stance on Graff.  While he hasn't had any domestic freestyle losses since he won the weight two years ago, he also had had zero wins.  Reward the idle who did not even medal?  They shouldn't.

Colon has to be above Gross due to their OTT result.  You are probably right that Colon/Suriano was too long ago to count for much.   

I don't think they will punish Graff.  He is a 61kg guy and couldn't go up or down.  What 61kg event did he not enter that he should have?  He has to be above Colon and Colon's only recent domestic losses are to Gilman I believe so keeping them 1/2 makes sense.

So maybe it's Graff, Colon, Vito, Fix, Gross, Suriano, Garrett?  Any way you slice it there are going to be sick QF matchups in this bracket.  I think the 1 seed does matter in this bracket because to me those 7 should clearly be the top 7 seeds and they are a cut above any of the others (although both NATO and Zane have past wins over Graff so who knows....)

1 hour ago, nom said:

Lee is almost like an urban legend at this point.  So many talk about what once was.  But …  No senior level international competitions.  I’m lowering expectations a fair bit at this point.  

Spencer had some international competition plans scrapped due to Covid but he did win the US Open teching Cruz and Vito (also beat Nato 8-2 in the finals) with only one ACL. He also pinned Zach Sanders (who later pinned Gilman). 

Per a speaking event recently (thanks NIL rules) he weighs 130 lbs so I doubt we see him at 61kg this year (or any year unless 57kg is claimed like this year).

Edited by wrestlingphish

16 hours ago, nom said:

Injuries suck.  Sad … but they do.  I’m rooting for him to have an amazing comeback but the road is not an easy one.

RE Vito.  I never thought he was big for 57kg.  Felt he was horses around by some guys.  Will be quite surprised if he makes the finals at 61kg.  Happily surprised.  Also will be happy to see a bit more meat on him!

This.

Was thinking the exact same thing about both these guys. 

Spencer.  You hit the nail on the head that now he's become more of an urban legend.  100% rooting for the amazing comeback and potential domination that we all think he could have exacted, not only on the domestic front, but also internationally.  But... I need to see results after his recovery from the injuries that he has sustained.  

Vito.  IIRC, didn't he have some type of catchweight match against Alvarez that was ~140lbs on one of the Flo specials?  If so, that may be a good indication on how he may perform at 61kg, knowing that his adversary was larger, and a solid opponent.  

On 8/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, Silhouette94 said:

Is Spencer Lee better/does he have more potential at 57kg than Gilman?  

Yes and yes. If Lee is healthy. No one is touching a healthy Lee.

18 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Assuming this narrative of no ACLs and no surgeries for Lee is true.   WTF?!

Then the Brands bros have betrayed every US wrestling fan and, most importantly, Spencer Lee.