Sign in to follow this  
NJWC

Did PA have any US Open champs?

I dont post as often like these others purportedly from NJ, but NJWC and Scarlet do NOT represent anyone, other than themselves. I am from NJ and wrestled D-1. I HATE these sophomoric j.o. posts from guys like this that seem to taint the entire NJ wrestling community. They express ONLY their individual opinions, not the average NJ fan/wrestler. I acknowledge PA as the best H.S. wrestling state. It was that way when I wrestled and continues to this day. Other states are great too. I think it is hard to rank the others as one over another when it comes to the top five or even eight.

I am comfortable to think I live in a state where I see great HS wrestlers continue to the next level. I equally applaud any wrestler who stepped up his game. I got the chance to congratulate Michael Chandler in the elevator at the hotel when he was on his way to the arena to accept his All- American honors. I didnt see state vs. state. I saw a walk-on (from a state I still dont know) who did more than many blue-chippers in the hardest of all college sports.

So, my NJ brethren. Shut up for a bit. It's a big world out there. Be humble and enjoy the effort of the wrestlers.

I dont post as often like these others purportedly from NJ, but NJWC and Scarlet do NOT represent anyone, other than themselves. I am from NJ and wrestled D-1. I HATE these sophomoric j.o. posts from guys like this that seem to taint the entire NJ wrestling community. They express ONLY their individual opinions, not the average NJ fan/wrestler. I acknowledge PA as the best H.S. wrestling state. It was that way when I wrestled and continues to this day. Other states are great too. I think it is hard to rank the others as one over another when it comes to the top five or even eight.

I am comfortable to think I live in a state where I see great HS wrestlers continue to the next level. I equally applaud any wrestler who stepped up his game. I got the chance to congratulate Michael Chandler in the elevator at the hotel when he was on his way to the arena to accept his All- American honors. I didnt see state vs. state. I saw a walk-on (from a state I still dont know) who did more than many blue-chippers in the hardest of all college sports.

So, my NJ brethren. Shut up for a bit. It's a big world out there. Be humble and enjoy the effort of the wrestlers.

Hang on, first of all most of my posts are meant in good fun. Second of all, there are Dbags posting on here from all over the place. PA not only has the most NQs and AAs, they also have far and away the most DBs. If you don't just suck up to these numbskulls about how great their talent is (and what else is there to do in PA?), they flip out.

When you see all these posts about their dominance at a certain HS tourney, and you point out that they had more than double the entries of the next highest state, they attack you.

There is great wrestling all over, it's not limited to PA.

And yeah, I was a 3 year D1 starter as well, and have coached plenty of really good kids. That doesn't matter at all, as my opinion is worth no more or no less than anyone else on here, but to hear some of these idiots go on and on...it gets old.

And certainly, do not lump me in with that other guy.

I find it fascinating that in a sport that's all about what you can achieve as an individual, so many people rest their pride in some imagined collective accomplishment. If living in the same state as good wrestlers is a big part of your identity, I guess that's your thing. I'm more impressed with someone who helps one kid wrestle better.

I find it fascinating that in a sport that's all about what you can achieve as an individual, so many people rest their pride in some imagined collective accomplishment. If living in the same state as good wrestlers is a big part of your identity, I guess that's your thing. I'm more impressed with someone who helps one kid wrestle better.

And NO ONE has a bigger collection of what you just described, than PA. Check out the number of threads started by these dopes specifically about just PA wrestlers.

And NO ONE has a bigger collection of what you just described, than PA. Check out the number of threads started by these dopes specifically about just PA wrestlers.

Basically what they are telling you is to leave the forum, NO ONE cares what you are saying. Is that blunt enough for you?

Which is why you choose to be a dope? Makes sense.

I chose to start one thread (this one), tongue in cheek to mock these guys for the behavior. Care to compare it to the number of PA centric/specific threads? You'll find more PA threads than all other states combined.

I agree with you, it gets old.

Rodney? Are you done gluing rhinestones to your David Taylor poster yet?

some you are spot on... i think the majority of level headed people in the discussion are trying to distinguish level of accomplishment. obviously being a place winner in (pick your lower tier state) is not the same as (pick your upper tier state). the line becomes a little fuzzier as you look at states at the top. i don't think most are trying to hang their hat on other's accomplishment from the state, but show just how tough it is to accomplish the feat in each state. drew headlee is a great example. he has placed at the open, ncaa aa, and didn't qualify for the state tournament his senior year. he won the title as a junior. no one in that weight class can claim to be on par with headlee's accomplishments because they finished ahead of him that year. however it does show the talent pool throughout the state.

Many post from PA fans are to defend PA, many/most of the time the thread is not started by pro PA posters.

PA has a long history of success and the root or source is explored by some so they can try and replicate that success, just as some in the US have tried to do with countries that have more international success than the USA. Many posts about PA wrestling is based on the curiosity on how PA maintains relative success over such a long period of time.

Ray is of course correct. It's kind of odd that people base their self-worth upon the number of quality wrestlers that reside within some imaginary geopolitical lines.

I personally am delighted that wrestling in PA is so good, because I get to watch it every year. I think my first year in the current string of years that I have of attending PIAA states started when Ray was a Sophomore carrying around a gumby doll. (Though I went a number of times in the '60s as well.)

Ray, fyi, I coached Petroski from age 5 thru 9th grade. He gave you a nice bout at states one year.

I admit to starting a PA thread recently, but it wasn't to goad junior trolls like njmarty. I was trying to restart the old AA vs AAA argument in PA fueled by the results of Flonationals where the AAA wrestlers performed fabulously and the AA wrestler were merely terrific. I actually only got one response from an AA fan. The rest of the post was hijacked by a couple of nj people.

Hey, it's the off-season now and it's kinda fun to stir the pot a bit. But putting your eggs in the 'my state is great' basket seems a bit strange.

I chose to start one thread (this one), tongue in cheek to mock these guys for the behavior. Care to compare it to the number of PA centric/specific threads? You'll find more PA threads than all other states combined.

All you do is continue to validate the negative stereotypes associated with NJ some true some not. Your ignorance and just plain brash argumentative nature with no desire to add anything of value to this forum or society but simply to beat your own chest is why so many people do not like NJ. I have lived in NJ for a few years due to work and now live in NY. I also have family that live in NJ today and travel there often to visit. I am actually going to south NJ this weekend to visit friends. That being said of the 49 states I have spent any amount of time in some more than others NJ has been IMO the worst. Just like great wrestlers come out of the state so do great people but in its entirety the peoples attitudes and how they treat one another created a culture of "dbags" to use your choice of words.

"If living in the same state as good wrestlers is a big part of your identity, I guess that's your thing."

Consider PA's D7 and the Dapper Dan. A tradition of great results can almost demand it become part of the wrestling fan's identity. It's worth discussion because differences in wrestling accomplishments from area to area and state to state, over time, ARE NOT ACCIDENTAL.

More broadly, substitute the words "a good football team" in place of "good wrestlers" and your comment becomes a given (not that a Browns fan would know what that's like :cry: ).

If he didnt RS, Dake would be a 3 timer

Yup Kyle Dake is the luckiest 4x ever, all these damn breaks he caught without taking his redshirt. It's utter crap he should really maybe be a one timer if other people did not redshirt, graduate, get injured, etc. etc.

Yup Kyle Dake is the luckiest 4x ever, all these damn breaks he caught without taking his redshirt. It's utter crap he should really maybe be a one timer if other people did not redshirt, graduate, get injured, etc. etc.

There will always be Kyle Dakes to pick and choose an outlier and draw a broad conclusion is fullish but done so often on forums. "exceptions are not the rule" but do prove its possible even if its harder

TECH is a fraud. He and HAll ,SR,Oldfart, must have got their heart broken by some Jersey girl. Get over it already.

All you do is continue to validate the negative stereotypes associated with NJ some true some not. Your ignorance and just plain brash argumentative nature with no desire to add anything of value to this forum or society but simply to beat your own chest is why so many people do not like NJ. I have lived in NJ for a few years due to work and now live in NY. I also have family that live in NJ today and travel there often to visit. I am actually going to south NJ this weekend to visit friends. That being said of the 49 states I have spent any amount of time in some more than others NJ has been IMO the worst. Just like great wrestlers come out of the state so do great people but in its entirety the peoples attitudes and how they treat one another created a culture of "dbags" to use your choice of words.