On 8/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I know what everyone knows, the greco teams not only continue to disappoint but are utterly unwatchable. Have you watched and found something else?

Nope....just keep fighting the good fight!  Good work you're doing there.

8 hours ago, HawkY said:

The impressive performance  on paper has to be Hlinchuk. Pinned or tech'd everyone and only gave up a point. 

Neither of these three,  Elor,  Blades or Welker — wrestled a full match in Ufa. Outscoring their opponents 103-0 at 68, 72 and 76 kg.

Edited by Mphillips

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Neither of these three,  Elor,  Blades or Welker — wrestled a full match in Ufa, putting a collective 103-0 beating on their opponents at 68, 72 and 76 kilograms, respectively.

Insane

I do think it’s worth noting that Japan wasn’t there. I think, especially because these are higher weights, we would win head to head vs Japan at all 3 weights. I don’t think they would’ve been 10-0 techs though. 

16 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Insane

I do think it’s worth noting that Japan wasn’t there. I think, especially because these are higher weights, we would win head to head vs Japan at all 3 weights. I don’t think they would’ve been 10-0 techs though. 

I hear ya.

Japan has dominated the lowest three weights for years now.  If those three Ladies continue on their trajectory it wouldn't surprise me if they beat Japan by TF 10-0 or just a plain ol' fall. 

EDIT: Here's a nice line up for worlds up top. Mensa Stock, Blades, Gray

Edited by Mphillips

43 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Insane

Any reason why Japan decided not to participate? COVID-19? Too much invested in Olympics? 

26 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I hear ya.

Japan has dominated the lowest three weights for years now.  If those three Ladies continue on their trajectory it wouldn't surprise me if they beat Japan by TF 10-0 or just a plain ol' fall. 

All of Japan's Olympic champions won't be competing in Oslo.  Japan's WFS is sending an extremely young team this year.  Even younger than the team they sent in 2019.

Japan has TWO teen superstars ready for the World Championships.  One is 17 and junior in HS.  The other is 18.  They are at 53kg and 62 kg.

at 53 kg they have Akari Fujinami(17 yrs old.  HS Jr-2018 Cadet WC),  beat 2019 world silver Namami Irie last December and teched her this past May.  Also beat Haruna Okuno(2x Senior WC, 1x Jr WC, 1x cadet WC, 2x U23 WC) last Dec by pin and by tech this past May.  Sister of Yuhi Fujinami 2017 Mens Senior Bronze,  Jumping from Cadet to Senior level.  Extremely good and a lethal single leg.  Was one of the sparring partners for 2020 Olympic Champion at 53kg, Mayu Mukaida and wasn't able to enter the Japanese Olympic trials because she was too young.   She'll definitely be gunning for Mukaida's spot at 53kg for 2024 in Paris because she is that good.

at 62kg is Nonoka Ozaki(18 yrs old).  2018 and 2019 Cadet WC.  2018 Youth Olympics Champion.  3 time Klippan Lady Open Champion cadet division(2018, 2019 and 2020).  Jumping from Cadet to Senior level.  Extremely good. 

That's a nice lineup for us at 68, 72 and 76, but Japan's WFS can possibly win the first 5-6 weights.  It'll be interesting to see.

I also forgot to mention that most of Japan's WFS team will be new faces on the senior level since 6 of those Olympic spots or World Team spots have been occupied by Japan's Olympic WFS team.  They are all comprised of multiple time Jr/cadet World Champions except at 68kg.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

I hear ya.

As understandably hyped we all are for Blades, I think Elor is right there too. She is too young for trials this year, but I bet she does some damage next year. I hope she can make 65kg. She could win that slot today if she were eligible. She is that good. 

Even if Stock and Adeline retire before 2024, I think we are still the favorites for gold at both weights. That’s with all current high schoolers too. 

I think more discussion should be had about what Elor is doing at the age level tournies.  The level of domination that she has been exacting, on an ongoing basis, and against increasingly difficult competition, is something to keep an eye on.  I'm very much looking forward to her entry into the Senior level and how she will fare.  

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I wonder how Blades vs Elor goes. Interesting style matchup. I hope they trained together i preparation for worlds. 

It was supposed to happen at WNO last year.  I forget why it didn't.

The women’s team is building fans and press.  The quality of the wrestling has been good for a while now.  I’m pretty excited to get more informed on the wrestlers.  I’m hoping there are high level events during the year to see progress. 

Outside of the various world events and trials, are there big women’s tourneys that pull in many of the best in the world?  Are there Yarigan types of tournaments?  Do our women go?

51 minutes ago, nom said:

The women’s team is building fans and press.  The quality of the wrestling has been good for a while now.  I’m pretty excited to get more informed on the wrestlers.  I’m hoping there are high level events during the year to see progress. 

Outside of the various world events and trials, are there big women’s tourneys that pull in many of the best in the world?  Are there Yarigan types of tournaments?  Do our women go?

Probably the biggest and most prestigious one outside of the Yarygin is the Kilppan Lady Open in Sweden.

So does anyone have information on the Dutch Sterkenburg brothers? I don’t remember the last time I recall Dutch wrestlers even competing, let alone winning medals at a World Championship. 

10 hours ago, de4856 said:

So does anyone have information on the Dutch Sterkenburg brothers? I don’t remember the last time I recall Dutch wrestlers even competing, let alone winning medals at a World Championship. 

I’ve been trying to find more info. When I Google them, half the results are forum posts on themat 

UWW has their history.  They are twins.

Sterkenburg, Tyrone (NED) NED
Date of birth: 2001-05-19
Club: De Halter Utrecht
Coach: Mariusz Gicewicz
Profession: athlete

Date Competition Style Age Group Weight Class Country Rank
2021-08-20 World Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 87.0 NED 2.
2021-07-02 European Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 87.0 NED 16.
2021-05-17 European Championship Greco-Roman U23 87.0 NED 10.
2021-02-26 International Ukrainian Tournament Greco-Roman Seniors 87.0 NED 17.
2021-01-17 Grand Prix de France Henri Deglane Greco-Roman Seniors 87.0 NED 3.
2020-11-07 Wladyslaw Pytlasinski Cup Greco-Roman Seniors 82.0 NED 1.
2020-02-10 European Championship Greco-Roman Seniors 82.0 NED 14.
2020-01-17 Thor Masters Greco-Roman Seniors 82.0 NED 6.
2019-06-04 European Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 82.0 NED 11.
2019-03-15 Thor Masters Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 18.
2018-07-02 World Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 80.0 NED 18.
2018-05-14 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 80.0 NED 17.
2017-07-24 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 76.0 NED 3.
2016-07-19 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 63.0 NED 12.

Sterkenburg, Marcel (NED) NED
Date of birth: 2001-05-19
Club: De Halter Utrecht
Coach: Mariusz Gicewicz
Profession: athlete

Date Competition Style Age Group Weight Class Country Rank
2021-08-20 World Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 82.0 NED 1.
2021-07-02 European Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 82.0 NED 3.
2021-05-17 European Championship Greco-Roman U23 82.0 NED 14.
2021-02-26 International Ukrainian Tournament Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 25.
2021-01-17 Grand Prix de France Henri Deglane Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 7.
2020-11-07 Wladyslaw Pytlasinski Cup Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 2.
2020-02-10 European Championship Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 23.
2020-01-17 Thor Masters Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 5.
2019-06-04 European Championship Greco-Roman Juniors 77.0 NED 14.
2019-04-12 European Championship Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 18.
2019-03-15 Thor Masters Greco-Roman Seniors 77.0 NED 8.
2018-07-02 World Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 71.0 NED 18.
2018-05-14 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 71.0 NED 8.
2017-07-24 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 69.0 NED 10.
2016-07-19 European Championship Greco-Roman Cadets 58.0 NED 9.

12 hours ago, de4856 said:

Looking at their available records the biggest senior tourney they competed in was the  Euros 2019. Didn't medal or anything but they were  super young then. Probably got the message that they not good enough yet and dropped back down to age level even. I've heard that people were really surprised they did so well here, so they must not have be considered top future talents by people who follow youth wrestling. If they do wrestle  they'd be competing at 77kg to 87 kg  probably as seniors. 

As dutch reps they won't have to worry about domestic competition at least.