Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

this team looks ultra weak. When Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Cox, Snyder leave who is going to be there to carry the torch ? I don't see any of those caliber of guys walking through that door.

The next crop is going to determine if we just have had a lucky run of generational talents or usa wrestling development programs has really made an impact like people think it has - I think it's still to be determined.

How many of those guys would have been on an age group team together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

this team looks ultra weak. When Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Cox, Snyder leave who is going to be there to carry the torch ? I don't see any of those caliber of guys walking through that door.

The next crop is going to determine if we just have had a lucky run of generational talents or usa wrestling development programs has really made an impact like people think it has - I think it's still to be determined.

Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Cox, and Snyder combined for 2 Junior World medals—both by Snyder. 
 

If the age range of your crop is from JB to Snyder, then the next crop is from Zahid Valencia (hs c/o 2015) to the current class of high school juniors. That next crop has already brought home 25+ Junior World medals and has some years to add even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Cox, and Snyder combined for 2 Junior World medals—both by Snyder. 
 

If the age range of your crop is from JB to Snyder, then the next crop is from Zahid Valencia (hs c/o 2015) to the current class of high school juniors. That next crop has already brought home 25+ Junior World medals and has some years to add even more.

yeah true......but who from valencia to now is in the stratosphere as the aforementioned - none.  If they were they would already be making an impact at seniors and they aren't. Valencia's, Mark Hall's, Daton Fix's don't win world golds seniors.  DNPs and maybe bronze - where we were in last era when we sucked. And speaking of which, just looking at this roster I think our depth in juniors has declined since the valenia mark hall teams.  David Carr - he won a junior he's good, but not great. We've got some guys, but I don't see the next David Taylor.  Maybe Bo Basset is.

I don't think the run the USA is having now at world senior level should be assumed to be sustainable 

We may just be in a lucky era to have a few Kobe's Jordan and Lebron's talent wise. I'm sure these same guys would be winning big no matter what country they were born in and are training in too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

 

yeah true......but who from valencia to now is in the stratosphere as the aforementioned - none.  If they were they would already be making an impact at seniors and they aren't. Valencia's, Mark Hall's, Daton Fix's don't win world golds seniors.  DNPs and maybe bronze - where we were in last era when we sucked. And speaking of which, just looking at this roster I think our depth in juniors has declined since the valenia mark hall teams.  David Carr - he won a junior he's good, but not great. We've got some guys, but I don't see the next David Taylor.  Maybe Bo Basset is.

I don't think the run the USA is having now at world senior level should be assumed to be sustainable 

We may just be in a lucky era to have a few Kobe's Jordan and Lebron's talent wise. I'm sure these same guys would be winning big no matter what country they were born in and are training in too. 

A complete load of horse poo…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good Olympic FS team, obviously.  All but Dake and DT had relatively early success.  Gilman, Snyder and Steveson first medalled at 23, 19 and 21, respectively.  That is kind of interesting considering how well regarded the former were in folkstyle. JB and Cox played  big roles there.  I don't see a ton of depth right now, but I think a few are in it for the long haul and they will blossom late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

 

yeah true......but who from valencia to now is in the stratosphere as the aforementioned - none.  If they were they would already be making an impact at seniors and they aren't. Valencia's, Mark Hall's, Daton Fix's don't win world golds seniors.  DNPs and maybe bronze - where we were in last era when we sucked. And speaking of which, just looking at this roster I think our depth in juniors has declined since the valenia mark hall teams.  David Carr - he won a junior he's good, but not great. We've got some guys, but I don't see the next David Taylor.  Maybe Bo Basset is.

I don't think the run the USA is having now at world senior level should be assumed to be sustainable 

We may just be in a lucky era to have a few Kobe's Jordan and Lebron's talent wise. I'm sure these same guys would be winning big no matter what country they were born in and are training in too. 

Zahid is currently 23. That's the same age JB won his first world title. Taylor and Dake both won their first world titles at age 27. In addition, Taylor and Dake were both older in 2016 than anyone in the next crop is now when they both failed to make the Rio team. FWIW, a 20 y.o Zahid was competitive against Dake at FinalX 3 years ago. 

 

BTW, Gable Steveson just turned 21 a couple of months ago--he's in the next crop too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, Shiraz123 said:

86kg guy got a bad draw. Iranian cadet world champ from 2019 and Russian wrestler (who beat the 2019 cadet world silver to make the Russian team) on his side of the bracket. 

not that bad. he only has to go thru one of them and that isn't until semis. basically an easy path to a medal bout. 

https://rokfin.com/article/5435/JR-World-Preview--Day-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at Mendez get ragdogged and tell me we wouldn't be better at this event without folkstyle

Mendez got teched and still looks like one of the best guys on this squad. Seems like a gamer. 

2 Missouri wrestlers lack athleticism in a big way. Not a good showing for Hawks. Hard to believe he is the best we have for that spot. Don't see holes in the lineups for russia and iranians like the usa this year. Big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

2 Missouri wrestlers lack athleticism in a big way. Not a good showing for Hawks. Hard to believe he is the best we have for that spot. Don't see holes in the lineups for russia and iranians like the usa this year. Big difference.

I didn't see that match, but Hawks lost 11-9 after being down 7-0, so it sounds like he put up a fight to try and make a comeback.

And Elam got a tech in his quaterfinal, which is a pretty good showing, with or without athleticism.

O'Toole got a pin, but I think most people are expecting big things out of him..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

 

yeah true......but who from valencia to now is in the stratosphere as the aforementioned - none.  If they were they would already be making an impact at seniors and they aren't. Valencia's, Mark Hall's, Daton Fix's don't win world golds seniors.  DNPs and maybe bronze - where we were in last era when we sucked. And speaking of which, just looking at this roster I think our depth in juniors has declined since the valenia mark hall teams.  David Carr - he won a junior he's good, but not great. We've got some guys, but I don't see the next David Taylor.  Maybe Bo Basset is.

I don't think the run the USA is having now at world senior level should be assumed to be sustainable 

We may just be in a lucky era to have a few Kobe's Jordan and Lebron's talent wise. I'm sure these same guys would be winning big no matter what country they were born in and are training in too. 

DT was to world champion level until 2017. Sometimes it takes time for guys to peak. Your negativity is annoying. Not everything is worst case scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...